• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Need help to gain weight

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
  1. Your pet's name – Ch. Rivergroves To Kill A Mockingbird, “Harper Lee”
  2. Approximate age – DOB – 5/08/19 – age 4
  3. Sex - F
  4. Neutering status – Not spayed
  5. Breed – Great Pyrenees
  6. Approximate weight – 64 lbs – that is a significant loss of weight
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) – very high energy, runs like a gazelle! She is so fast, very high energy and appetite per usual, happy
  8. Diet – past month - 1 ½ cups raw beef (pasture raised, grass fed, grass finished, no hormones, no antibiotics, no MRNA), 1 ½ cups sweet potato, tsp coconut oil – twice daily, also mid-day snack added which is 1 cup oatmeal 1 cup pumpkin, 1 tsp coconut oil
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time – November 2022 I received a call from the groomer that Harper Lee peed on the table and so she may have a UTI. She went to the vets the next day and was given antibiotics. Due to her labs an ultrasound was done and I was told she was in chronic renal failure and that her kidneys never fully developed. I was told 2-12 months was her life expectancy. I made an appointment at Smith Ridge in South Salem, NY. I had a dog that was a previous pt. with Dr. Marty Goldstein. Harper Lee is a pt. of Dr. Seo. Dr. Seo suspects that HL’s kidneys did not fully develop due to parasites and asked me if she was ever treated for parasites. She was not. However, when she was a puppy her brother had parasites and was treated therefore we think that was the source. He explained that her eosinophils were elevated for him – as the “normals” have been raised
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? - no
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) Labs and ultrasound results are attached. She will be getting labs again tomorrow
Current – She has been receiving 500 ml subq daily since November 2022 (she is so compliant, just lays down and loves the special time), Reverse Osmosis water only to include any cooking, Five Leaf Pet Botanicals for kidney (started November 2022) – alternate hepra and renal bottles, always gets blood cleansing tonic, every meal gets dog greens

Hepara-Cleanse Ingredients: Milk Thistle seed, Gentian root, Dandelion root, Oregon Grape root, Wormwood leaf and flower, Mojave Chaparral herb, Black Walnut hulls, Ginger rhizome, and Fennel seed. All ingredients are either organic or wild harvested.

Blood Cleansing Tonic Ingredients: Red clover blossoms, Mojave Chaparral herb, Oregon Grape root, burdock rootAll ingredients are either organic or wild harvested.

Rena-Cleanse Ingredients: Juniper berries, Uva Ursi leaf, Horsetail herb, Burdock root and seed, Pipsissewa leaf, Parsley leaf and root, Goldenrod flower tops and Marshmallow root. All ingredients are either organic or wild harvested.

Dog Greens Ingredients: Spirulina, Chlorella, Alfalfa, Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, Kelp and Irish Moss. Dog Greens provides your pet the following nutrients:

• Coenzyme Q10

• Omega 3 fatty acid

• GLA (gamma-linolenic acid)

• Mucopoly saccharides

• RNA & DNA (nucleic acids)

• Chlorophyll and Xanthopyll

• Alpha-linolenic

• SOD (Super Oxide Dismutase)

• B vitamins including B-12, pantothenic acid, choline, folic acid and others.

• Vitamin A (beta carotene), C, D, E, F, K and others.

• Array of minerals and microminerals including calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, iodine, selenium, silicon, silver, sulfur, iron, boron chromium, cobalt, copper, germanium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, vanadium and more.

• Full of Enzymes and amino acids

SPIRULINA AND CHLORELLA – not only are these two algae full of nutrients, ounce per ounce spirulina has twelve times the digestible protein than beef and one ounce of chlorella contains more calcium than once ounce of milk.

ALFALFA, BARLEY & WHEAT GRASS – grasses are full of vitamins and minerals, they have been making animals healthy and strong since the beginning of time.

KELP – a seaweed used for centuries to cure many ailments. It is also an anti-rheumatic and anti-inflammatory. Kelp helps balance out the thyroid and contains 20 key amino acids.

IRISH MOSS – a sea vegetable that fights respiratory diseases and has amazing anti-microbial and anti-viral effects. Irish moss is very effective for digestion problems and will strengthen your dog nails and hair.

All ingredients are either organic or wild harvested.

She also takes these:

1. Renal complex. It is available from Smith Ridge. Please see the attached supplement sheet for dosing instruction.

2. Amino Complete (Now brand). Dose: 3 capsules twice daily with food. Amazon.com

4. NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) 600mg capsule. Dose: 1 capsule twice daily with food https://www.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-nac-600-mg-250-veg-capsules/694

The following supplements need to be added with each ready meal

1. SuperFood Plus powder (Dr. Schulze's) 1 tbsp SuperFood Plus - Dr. Schulze - herbdoc.com

2. Coral Calcium Plus (NOW foods) 2 capsules https://www.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-coral-calcium-plus-250-veg-capsules/4257

3. Omega 3 fish oil (preferably small fish based such as anchovy - 3/4 tsp. Please keep it in the fridge all the time. One of good examples https://www.iherb.com/pr/nordic-naturals-omega-3-pet-medium-to-large-breed-dogs-8-fl-oz-237-ml/43656

Previous – December 2022 - Panacur x 10 days.

Intestinal sweep formula. Dose: 2 capsules twice daily with food x 2 months Stopped after about 5 days due to diarrhea Intestinal Sweep Formula 180 caps By Dr. Christophers Formulas

1. Other health concerns – I am worried about the weight loss. I know I must be doing something wrong.

Attachments

• Harper Riley ultrasound.pdf
    577.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Harper Lee labs 4:01:23.pdf
    674.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Harper Lee labs 11:05:22.pdf
    697.1 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow! I'm so sorry to hear about Harper Lee's kidney challenges!

I have lots of questions and comments, but you may want to start by first looking at her "prognosis" of
I was told 2-12 months was her life expectancy
Nah! My own initial thought is that her labs don't say that.

As long as she is happy, is active, eats well and has her high BEAMs on, she could have many years beyond that.

However, I may be looking at her situation differently than your other vets. My opinion is based on energetics, cellular communication, and what is possible for regeneration and healing.

The current vet model of disease is virtually 100% physiological (and not energetic).

However, my opinion even though it is clinically verified (including with congenital kidney dis-ease), it is NOT research documented.

With that being said, the approach we share at HA! is based on Building and Preserving Vitality and Balance using homeopathy.

Here's a bit more about what you may want to discuss with Dr. Seo:

If you'd like to support her in this way, a great place to start is taking the HA! 101 course. It should be quick for you because you and Dr. Seo are already doing an awe-some job with supporting her body while it heals!

What are the ingredients of the Smith Ridge Renal Support?

It would also be awe-some to see the second sheet of the ultrasound report with the doc's comments.

Are you already feeding her as much as she wants to eat 3-4x/day? If not, those extra "Happy Meals" (and extra happiness snacks, snuffle mats with treats, etc.) may be helpful to aid weight gain:

Good luck with your sweet baby. Feel free to ask anything at any time!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

MikaR

Community Member
Registered

I have lots of questions and comments, but you may want to start by first looking at her "prognosis" of

As long as she is happy, is active, eats well and has her high BEAMs on, she could have many years beyond that.

However, I may be looking at her situation differently than your other vets. My opinion is based on energetics, cellular communication, and what is possible for regeneration and healing.

The current vet model of disease is virtually 100% physiological (and not energetic).

However, my opinion even though it is clinically verified (including with congenital kidney dis-ease), it is NOT research documented.

With that being said, the approach we share at HA! is based on Building and Preserving Vitality and Balance using homeopathy.

If you'd like to support her in this way, a great place to start is taking the HA! 101 course. It should be quick for you because you and Dr. Seo are already doing an awe-some job with supporting her body while it heals!

It would also be awe-some to see the second sheet of the ultrasound report with the doc's comments.

Are you already feeding her as much as she wants to eat 3-4x/day? If not, those extra "Happy Meals" (and extra happiness snacks, snuffle mats with treats, etc.) may be helpful to aid weight gain:

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
Thank you! I will search for page 2. Just to clarify - it was NOT Dr. Seo who said 2 months - 1 year - it was a conventional vet.

We added a 3rd meal a few weeks ago. I will add a 4th as long as you think it's fine.

A new concern I have is she has been getting NaCl 500 pls daily sub q and I read that she should not get NaCl and should get lactated Ringers. I am so confused. I am holding the NaCl today until I can find out.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I read that she should not get NaCl
Yes, you may want to consider using LRS or Normosol. They both have electrolytes that are not in the NaCl.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Mika!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Several things may help in her healing odyssey.
The Healthy Dog Journal may help you track the symptoms to see what is helping the most, so you can try stopping some supplements, try different foods, healings, etc.

Check out the many speakers we have had on energy healing methods you can learn yourself - Reiki, Eden Energy, WEBB, Bengston, Tui na, Tong Ren, and more. Whichever calls to you to learn - they can make a huge difference.

Finally listen to Dr. Bernie Siegel on the power of love (along with Dr. Jeff's happiness suggestions) - he is on the Holistic Actions You Tube station (you can share that with anyone - no need to be a member) and the All Paws Pet Talk TV you tube.

The more you can push the negative thoughts, worry, wondering about details, etc, into one part of your mind to listen to only once a day - and spend the rest of the time just being with her! Better for all.

Dr. Christina

MikaR

Community Member
Registered

Dr Jeff.,

Do you see a problem with anything in the Fiveleaf items? I stopped it because the 2 groups I am in said they were dangerous and after I stopped them Harper's labs got bad.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Another thought on food in addition to feeding basically as much as she will eat. Wysong has a great product of very available proteins and more - PDG - Pre Di Gest. It is a powder you can add to anything.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Mika!
Do you see a problem with anything in the Fiveleaf items?
I'd appreciate it if you share the direct link to items you are asking about.

Thanks!

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
Hi Mika!

I'd appreciate it if you share the direct link to items you are asking about.

Thanks!

Thank you Dr. Jeff.
It is the whole kidney package - the 3 drops and the powder

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
Another thought on food in addition to feeding basically as much as she will eat. Wysong has a great product of very available proteins and more - PDG - Pre Di Gest. It is a powder you can add to anything.

Dr. Christina
Thank you. Her appetite is pretty decent thankfully. I think when we switched to home made we were underfeeding her.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Mika for pointing me to Amanda's wonderful 5 Leaf products!

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
Thanks Mika for pointing me to Amanda's wonderful 5 Leaf products!
So are the kidney products safe? Everyone in the 2 groups I am in says they are detrimental and one group said I would be kicked out if I ever mentioned the name because they kill peoples dogs??? These groups are stressful sometimes. I thought the products were helping

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
So are the kidney products safe?
IMHO, yes. However I would probably get kicked out of the group for saying that.;)

Getting reliable info. for HMDM is one of the big reasons we started HA!

Attachments

• HANDOUT 4pages HMDM.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 2

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
IMHO, yes. However I would probably get kicked out of the group for saying that.;)

Getting reliable info. for HMDM is one of the big reasons we started HA!
Thank you so much! These groups are strange...

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
Dr Jeff,
These are Harper Lee's latest labs and they are horrible yet she shows no symptoms other than hair loss. It just dawned on me that these labs are not fasting - she ate her entire meal before going to the vets. Would that be why her creatine and phosphorus are so high? Wait and hemolysis plus 4!!!
(Please say YES emphatically!)

Attachments

• Harper 6-29_23.pdf
    947.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom