• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Liver shunt surgery vs. alternative options

MaryMu

All-Access Member
Registered
  1. Create one forum thread per pet. If you have more than one case, create a thread for each animal.
  2. Your pet's name: Archie
  3. Approximate age: 1.5 years old
  4. Sex: Male
  5. Neutering status: intact
  6. Breed: Mi-Ki
  7. Approximate weight: 7 lbs.
  8. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood): Playful calm demeanor but having a few accidents in the house and frequent urination, energy seems lower than normal but he's still spunky, appetite is off (very hungry but doesn't like new lower protein diet)
  9. Diet: Transitioning from high protein to lower one. Having trouble with adding probiotic, minerals, EFA's, etc. He eats if he is desperately hungry but then tries to pick out what he likes (meat!).
  10. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: Archie had reduced rabies and core vaccines and now using titer to test for antibodies. We do not use yard chemicals or house cleaning chemicals.
  11. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time: I took Archie to his regular integrative vet to see about what presented as a bladder infection (dribbling, unusually long time to pee, sudden accidents in the house). A blood test indicated ultrahigh liver values of ALT = 1,200. An ultrasound indicated stones in his urethra (they looked like peas in a pod) and the vet flushed the stones, except for one, into his bladder. He referred us to a surgery and specialty clinic where a CT scan was done to confirm an exterior liver shunt.
  12. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? Archie used to take long walks with us and he loved it. Now he has trouble making it down the street and back. He seems to be overheated and tired. This seems much worse since these medical procedures and tests.
  13. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them): I do not have copies of diagnostic work.
  14. Current and previous treatment: His vet and the specialty clinic recommend immediate surgery for the shunt, bladder stones and cryptochidism. I'm not sure what to do since I've read shunts often return after surgery and I've also read shunts are correctable through diet and supplements. Since I did not elect surgery, the clinic has recommended Denosyl (S-Adenosyimethionine) and Denamarin (S-Adenosylmethionine and Silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex) and a low protein diet. They offered prescription diets but I am making his meals at home.
  15. Other health concerns: Cryptochidism for one testicle located in inguinal area (via the CT scan for the shunt).
What I'm looking for is information about whether diet and supplements have helped with normalizing liver enzymes. Just the procedures Archie has had up to now have been pretty hard on him, so I can only imagine what major surgery might look like. If at all possible I'd like to avoid surgery, and yet I want to be realistic about what is best for my dog. Has anyone else had experiences like this? What has helped (or not)?

The other thing I need help with is the diet. Anytime I put additives in his meal, he refuses to eat...full stop. I hate the thought of starving him since he gets weak, but is that what's required? He is not a dog that gulps his food. He's always been picky. I'm told that's likely due the shunt.
@Dr. Jeff
@Dr. Christina
@Dr. Sara

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
Thank you for such detailed description of Archie's case - sounds like Archie has a lot going on at such young age. And it seems you've done so much already to support him. @Dr. Jeff should respond to you as soon as he can. In the meantime, would you describe what specifically you are feeding Archie?
And while you wait for the response, we highly recommend start using happiness protocol, especially sniffing practices and finding what brings Archie the most joy and do that as much as you can. Wishing you and Archie patience as you navigate this challenging time.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Mary-

Thanks for making your first post.

I'm not sure what to do
You're in the right place to learn Holistic Medical Decision Making (HMDM).

the clinic has recommended Denosyl (S-Adenosyimethionine) and Denamarin (S-Adenosylmethionine and Silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex) and a low protein diet. They offered prescription diets but I am making his meals at home.

Sounds good. Keep using the fresh food.
whether diet and supplements have helped with normalizing liver enzymes

Yes! They can both support his body while it does its job. Something like this would be great:

What has helped (or not)?
All of the energy-building techniques based on vitality can help his body to re-balance and heal.
The other thing I need help with is the diet. Anytime I put additives in his meal, he refuses to eat.

The most import thing is to find foods or treats that he loves! Lots of little "Happy Meal" snacks is great for him. Especially little bits of freeze-dried heart, kidney and organic liver.

BTW-My happy and handsome pup named Archie says hi and have fun!happy archie (just groomed).jpg

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
What I'm looking for is information about whether diet and supplements have helped with normalizing liver enzymes.

While diet, supplements, energy work and more that you can do may turn Archie around, I would suggest you begin now to work with a homeopathic vet (they can consult by phone). Or an excellent Chinese medicine vet.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Mary! Thanks for taking the time to talk on the phone with me today. Archie's a lucky boy to have you as his guardian and advocate!

Here are the virtual vet homeopaths I just mentioned:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I know both and they are excellent.

Also, while waiting for your appointment with them, check out the homeopathy page - Homeopathy - Holistic Actions!.
Depending on how you learn best -
1. Read Dr. Jensen's book - she walks you through how a homeopath will be treating Archie.
2. Take the introduction to homeopathy class (vitality class) - either 2018 or 2019. These are an entire weekend of me teaching the basics of homeopathy and walking through how a homeopath will be treating Archie. If time allows, take the 2019 intermediate class as well.
3. And you may want to purchase Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care of CAts and Dogs, and especially read chapters 2 & 3 about the nature of illness and cure.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom