• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Preparing for cat DENTALS in 7 days?

DonnaR

All-Access Member
Registered
What should I do to prepare for their dental with anesthesia at my traditional vet coming up in 7 days? My biggest fear is that it will trigger a health issue as it has in my other cats ranging from heart murmur to kidney failure.
  • Teeth condition was rated 2 out of 4 (4 being worse).
  • EXTRACTIONS are possible, but won't know until she goes in under ANESTHESIA.
  • BLOOD TEST will be done prior
  • Vet has sent all others home on ANTIBIOTICS for 10 days (Ox2 ml 2x/day)
(1) PEANUT, 9 years old - very outgoing, brave, overweight, BEAM is great, no known health issues
(2) XENA, 9 years old - shy (was feral kitten I found), very lovable when I'm not standing up and playful with toys, BEAM is great
(3) TOBI, 9 years old - very lovable, very overweight (she eats other's leftovers), BEAM is great, no known health issues

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Donna-

The best preparation for a dental is insuring that the kitties are eating fresh food and are well balanced.

Part of balance is body condition and weight.

Tobi's obesity makes her an anesthetic risk as well as hinting at a metabolic issue (unless she eats dry food in which case her weight problem may be totally due to diet.

Unless her mouth appears to be uncomfortable (which you can see by her cocking her head to one side when she eats, pawing at her mouth, etc), you may want to postpone the dental until she's lost weight.

Dose Arnica 10M the night before the dental and right away after coming home. Succuss and redose as often as needed for the first 48 hours post-dental.

DonnaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Should I redosed post-DENTAL? even if it turned out to just a cleaning, no extractions, no issues, no meds taken home?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Donna!

The answer is a straightforward forward no IMHO.

However, the question of when to give an acute remedy is not so straightforward and would be a great topic for an entire hour webinar!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom