• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Is it OK to do the antibiotics?

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
So after the 6/23/23 labs, Harper went to the vets during the day and received IV fluids for three days. The second labs were drawn on the third day. She’s going to go back tomorrow and get lactated ringers, but he wants to start her on Clavanox 500 mg twice a day for at least five days. My AH phosphate Binder arrived yesterday after the labs were drawn. Thoughts on antibiotics or any other course of action that you guys think.IMG_6670.jpegHarper Roff-Riley bw results 6-29_000.jpegHarper Roff-Riley bw results 6-29_001.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
My thoughts about anti-biotics in a case like this is that we really only know one thing.

They will disrupt the microbiome she desperately needs to rebalance as best she can.

And in many cases they can also decrease the appetite. Keep her eating is even more important than the test results.

In most cases of kidney dis-ease, eating a fresh food diet (or eating at all) along with phosphorus binders and supplemental fluids (often given at home) are the most important actions.

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
Ok. She has not lost her appetite luckily. Her energy is very high. Literally nothing about her has changed other than her hair is falling out in clumps. We started the AH binder yesterday. She is going back tomorrow for IV lactated ringers. Vet says she has a UTI and or kidney infection. What will happen to that if it is untreated? Thanks Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Was the diagnosis of pyelonephritis (kidney infection) made by ultrasound?

If not, you may want to consider having a sterile urine sample with a repeat urinalysis and culture taken (they do this by needle direct from the bladder) before starting anti-biotics.

A few white cells in the urine and this kind of bacteria are most commonly seen from a non-sterile "Natural Voiding" sample.

MikaR

Community Member
Registered
Nothing was done other than the labs I posted. Is there a holistic way I can treat her for a UTI? She weighs 78.4 lbs right now. Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Vitamin C, cranberry and d-mannose are vitamin/herbal methods that support bladder health and reduce UTI symptoms.

However, before starting supplements, I wonder if there are any UTI symptoms (like frequent, urgent or painful urination)??

Lab tests do not always reflect the reality of the situation.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom