• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Lyme and HOD? Lame puppy with pain

babsij

Registered
  1. Your pet's name: Mosley
  2. Approximate age: 6 months
  3. Sex: Male
  4. Neutering status: In tact
  5. Breed: Border Collie
  6. Approximate weight: 45 #
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood): Mo is cautious slow walker because of his lameness. When he is feeling better he is playful. He has a great appetite. He is loving and tender but does sleep frequently.
  8. Diet: Honest Kitchen puppy kibble
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: Distemper vax x 2 by breeder, distemper by vet on June 20, de-worming by breeder and again by vet on June 20. 7/1/23: Doxycycline 100mg BID x 30 days, Carprofen 75mg, 1/2 tab every 12 hours x 5 days. 7/5/23: Rimadyl 75mg, 1/2 tab every 12 hrs x 5 days. 7/13/23: Tramadol 50mg up to TID, currently BID. 7/13/23 Clavacillin 250mg BID x 14 days. 7/14/23: Prednisolone 10 mg daily
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time. Mo came home with us on June 14, 2023. He had several ticks on him and several tick bites on his belly. First vet appointment was June 20th. We were getting acclimated with him and thought him to be clumsy but he had a sweet disposition and a good appetite. He started limping and we noticed some swollen joints at the end of June. We couldn't get him into our vet so we took him to an emergency vet clinic. They took some x-rays and bloodwork. He was found to have Lyme and was started on the antibiotics. We followed up with our vet on July 12th who did more bloodwork and more X-rays. We continued on the doxy, made some changes on the pain medication. He continued to get worse so the vet started him on the 2nd antibiotic and then the Prednisolone and Tramadol. He continues to have duck footed front legs, the swelling is less in his wrists but still prevalent. He is painful but better when medicated. He only tolerates short slow walks. Our vet feels he has HOD since he reacted positively to the prednisolone.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? The limping is worse if he walks too much. He has a tendency to be hot even in our air-conditioned home... his is a tribute-color so is mostly dark haired. Mornings are his best time where he can play a little with some toys. He loves to eat, thankfully no issues with appetite. We have't noticed food affecting his condition. He is emotionally stable, we think. He likes to be with us but he's not clingy. He is painful but does not seem to have issues with us touching him. He gets excited when one of our children come to the house or we meet a neighbor on our walks. He tends to forget his pain for a short time.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) I do not have any of the lab tests or x-rays available to me. He was dx with Lyme and Hypertrophic osteodystrophy HOD ~ the HOD diagnosis came for lack of a better one. She said when she palpated his legs and spine, she felt he was painful but also felt he should be more painful with HOD. She came to the HOD conclusion because he reacted positively to the steroid and remarked they was an immune response.
  13. Current and previous treatment: Please see #9 for past medications. He is currently taking Tramadol 50mg twice daily and Prednisolone 10mg daily. Our vet said he will stay on the steroid for a year. When we got the Lyme diagnosis, I started him on Vibactra Plus and Bor-L-Immune. He continues to take those.
  14. Other health concerns: Since being put on the Prednisolone, he has increased thirst and urinates often. Otherwisee is a beautiful dog with a sweet disposition. His coat is shiny and looks healthy.
I hope you can give me some guidance on where to go from here after all this traditional care. I am very uncomfortable with the antibiotics he was given and that he continues with a steroid and pain medication. He was so sick, we had to carry him everywhere. Could this be from the Distemper vax or a combination with the Lyme or just the Lyme?
After reading some of your information on vaccines, I will not be continuing with them, except for rabies. How long can I put off the rabies vax?
Thank you, @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Babsi!

I'm sorry to hear about Mosley's challenges at such a young age.
I hope you can give me some guidance on where to go from here after all this traditional care.
Great, great question! First step is to read the HA! 101 and Lyme courses. You'll find many holistic actions to start right away in both courses.

Second step is to add a vet homeopath or trained holistic vet to his team.

Third is a course of The Wolf probiotic from Adored Beast:

Could this be from the Distemper vax or a combination with the Lyme or just the Lyme?
Yes and no. The vaccine was not the cause (the cause is an energy imbalance) but could have triggered issues resulting in both HOD and Lyme symptoms:

How long can I put off the rabies vax?
Ideally, until he is perfectly well as it says on the vaccine insert as it's only for "healthy" dogs. However, because rabies vaccination is a legal issue, talk to your vet about this.

babsij

Registered
Thank you! I will order the probiotic and continue with the Lyme course and HA! 101. I appreciate your time!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome!!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
So glad you are reaching out for holistic thinking for Mosley. though challenging at the beginning, he will so benefit from all you can do. Especially create that holistic health care team right now.

I would be looking at having (from one or more people) homeopathic or chinese medicine care and an osteopath, chiropractor, or holistic re-hab. Check out you tubes of Dr. McCauley as she has PT exercises that may help.

Where do you live?

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom