• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hyperthyroid diagnosis in 12/13 year old colony cat

BashaC

Registered
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm grateful for this forum.

Charlie is one of the cats in my colony. My guess is he's about 12/13 years old. I've been feeding him for about 11 years. He is neutered, a domestic short hair, and 11.8 lbs.

He was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism with T4 levels of 9.2. He had blood work done on 7/29/22 and his T4 levels were 4.3. I took him into the vet both times because he was having pain while eating and pawing at his mouth. He eats a raw food diet. He's never been vaccinated. He lives outside and may be exposed to toxins from neighbors yards.

Medical history:

It took me a long time to be able to trap him and he would show up with signs of having been fighting. I was finally about to trap him in 2017 when she showed up with open gashes on his legs. The vet sewed him up and found two of his canine teeth broken, one decayed, and one missing. The three canines were extracted. He was giving antibiotics and pain medication at that time. After this vet visit and being neutered, he slowly, over the past 5 years has shown more interest in being in relationship with me and the other family members who feed them (they get fed in a family member's back yard). We can now brush him and he enjoys spending time with us outside.

At the end of July 2022, Charlie started showing clear signs of mouth pain. I took him to the ER where they said he had a tooth fragment lodged in his gum. I was able to get him in to the vet that had done his previous surgery the next day. They removed the tooth fragment (said it could have been left over from the removal of the canines in 2017) and extracted a decayed molar. He was given antibiotics and pain medication. His blood work came back with T4 levels of 4.3. The vet said this was something to keep an eye on and indicated hyperthyroidism, but didn't prescribe medication at that time. I had the vet tip Charlie's ear and microchip him at this visit.

At the end of November, 2022, Charlie started showing signs of mouth pain again. I was able to get him into a different vet this time, who was not a good fit for us. He said Charlie had severe gingivitis, periodontal disease, and gum infection. He gave him a shot of steroids and antibiotics and said he needed to have his teeth cleaned. Charlie sometimes gets small scabs on his lower back along his spine and just laterally. I noticed they were present in November. They cleared up after the vet visit. When he has them, they don't seem to itch and he doesn't lick them.

At the beginning of January, Charlie started showing signs of mouth pain again and I took him back to the vet who did his two surgeries for a dental cleaning. The vet said his mouth looked good, no sign of issues, but that his blood work showed T4 levels of 9.2. He prescribed 2.5 mg methimazole 2x day to be applied topically to his ear. Because Charlie is not domesticated and lives in a colony, it's not guaranteed that he'll be dosed 2x a day and he won't be able to be dosed 12 hours apart (something the vet said was important). While Charlie likes to be brushed, getting to his ear 2x a day could be a crap shoot. Charlie was given antibiotics and pain medication.

I haven't noticed any changes in Charlie's behavior, mood, or energy in the past 6 months. He's been eating normally, his fur is soft. I don't see his poo, but have been watching for a time when he'll go when I'm there and I can dig it up. I haven't seen changes in thirst. All of this being said, I don't see him every day. I moved to a different town a few years ago and family members have been feeding the colony most days. I go visit them 1-2 x week. The family members who are feeding them aren't able to monitor the cats like I did.
I have noticed a changes in behavior gradually over the past couple of years consistent with aging – hearing not as sharp, stiffness in legs, not climbing as much, etc. I have been working with a homeopathic vet on with the stiffness, scabs, and some aggression issues.

Charlie's colony is five cats. He is the boss of the colony. He's very bonded with the three females, but shows aggression toward the other male. Charlie is the oldest. He feels very grounded, wise, and aware to me.

Charlie needs to be sedated when he is seen by a vet. I've been able to startle him and pick him up to quickly get him in a carrier the past three times, so not having to trap him has been a relief. He has to stay in a kennel in my house to recover from the vet visits, which is very stressful for him. He is not domesticated and I have concerns about how often blood work might need to be done and the effects of sedation, plus the stress on him.

I have been working with a holistic vet (Dr. Christine Barrett) over the phone with Charlie and the other cats for about 1.5 years, which has been helpful. However, she doesn't know very much about supplements and other holistic modalities and recommended I join the forum here and speak with Dr. Jeff or Dr. Christina. Dr. Chris has treated Charlie for stiffness, some weakness in his back legs when we brush is lower back, the intermittent scabs on his lower back, aggression toward the other male in the colony, and freckles in one of his eyes.

His labs from 7/29/22 and 1/6/23 are attached here.

I've set up an appointment with @Dr. Jeff for Monday 1/16 and have read through the forum threads about hyperthyroidism in cats.

I've started him on Standard Process Feline Immune System, vitamin C, vitamin A, probiotics and Pet Essence Kidney Support, in addition to continuing the Pet Essence Thyroid Support.

I feel concerned (scared) that, because Charlie is a colony cat and I can't monitor him daily and he's not domesticated, I'm going to miss important signs and his health will suffer for it. I want to do what's best for Charlie that's also something that, realistically, we can do. He's bonded with his colony and his yard.

I would be grateful for any information, experience, recommendations, leads, wisdom, etc. this community could offer. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1-6-2023 Charlie blood test results.pdf
    360.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 7-29-2022 Charlie blood test results.pdf
    327.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to the HA! community and thanks so much for making your first post.

I really appreciate your caring for the cat colony and for taking such awe-some care of Charlie! ? ??
I feel concerned (scared) that, because Charlie is a colony cat and I can't monitor him daily and he's not domesticated, I'm going to miss important signs and his health will suffer for it. I want to do what's best for Charlie that's also something that, realistically, we can do.
You ARE doing an incredible job!

My main advice would be to follow your intuition in caring for Charlie and do whatever works to optimize his happiness and minimize his stress.

Happiness and Love are the keys to his having the best possible health-span.

Here's a bit more about the power of happiness:

Speaking about power in the context of helping Charlie to be the best he can be, it's helpful to know that cellular energy is the key (IMHO and as seen in human medicine) to maintaining and regaining health. This is in contrast to the physical paradigm of current vet med. Here are a few more thoughts about the energy of internal balance and health:

The bloodwork snapshots look pretty good overall. In fact, Charlie's anemia has now resolved with no help beyond supporting his body. Despite his rising thyroid level.

I'd suggest continuing doing what you're doing while optimizing his cellular energy and minimizing energy loss (stress is the biggest culprit for this).

Good work!

BashaC

Registered
Thanks so much for your reply I'm glad to hear his blood work looks good and that his anemia is resolved! That's great news.

Charlie has a really good life and I feel he's a pretty happy guy. I'll continue to optimize his cellular energy (thank you for the resources).

I do feel he needs more support for this system and could use some guidance on what to actually do. I spoke with a woman at my local holistic pet store and she reached out to her rep at Standard Process to see if Canine Thyroid Support would be appropriate. This is what the rep said:

STORE: Finally, a longtime client was in today and she feeds a feral colony and one of the cats was recently found to be hyperthyroid following some pretty major procedures and illnesses. Would it be appropriate for her to give Canine Thyroid Support or is that product only indicated for hypothyroid?

REP RESPONSE: Most of our supplements will not suppress nor stimulate function because we are using a nutritional, supportive approach. Canine Thyroid Support can be recommended for both hypo and hyperthyroid cases. I have some vets that will use this product for their hyperthyroid cats. I have better experience however with the combo of Feline WBS and Feline Hepatic. Most hyperthyroid cats are seniors and I don’t like to jump right into a targeted liver support to avoid detoxing them too quickly. So I start Feline WBS first. Then add Feline Hepatic Support a couple weeks later. The liver is very involved in the conversion of thyroid hormones so we find that may cats have congested livers and will benefit from the liver support. I have seen better results with this combo than the Canine Thyroid. Some vets like the Canine Thyroid so it really depends on experience.

I've also combed through the forum to see what others might be doing for their hyperthyroid cat, gone down the rabbit hole of the internet, and am currently watching the class on hyperthyroidism in cats on this site. I don't know what do to with all this information or what would be appropriate for Charlie. The information feels overwhelming and I really don't know where to start. The information from the Standard Process rep sounds great, but I don't know if it's right for Charlie, or if there is something else that might be better for his situation.

The homeopath vet I've been working with won't treat Charlie if I also treat him conventionally. I don't want to close the door on any possibilities, which is why she suggested your forum. I ordered the transdermal methimazole, in case we decided it would be helpful (pending his allowance of getting to his ear). I would much rather work on balancing his whole system. His numbers going up so fast, though, makes me feel concerned about them continuing to rise quickly unchecked.

I don't want to over load Charlie's system with supplements, herbs, etc. if he doesn't need them all, but I do feel like there is something(s) out there that could help him. Any thoughts on what to give him to support his healing or is this something we'll discuss during our appointment?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
The information from the Standard Process rep sounds great, but I don't know if it's right for Charlie, or if there is something else that might be better for his situation.
Perhaps consult with @Dr. Sue who is a SP expert:

Any thoughts on what to give him to support his healing or is this something we'll discuss during our appointment?
Yes and yes!

Here are two great hyperthyroid supportive supplements:

BashaC

Registered
Thank you for the additional resources. I'll take a look at them. Looking forward to discussing further during our appointment.

@Dr. Sue any thoughts on what the SP rep recommended? I can set up an appointment with you, if it calls for longer discussion.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Basha!

BashaC

Registered
@Dr. Jeff Thank you for the information and consultation today. You recommended starting Pet Wellbeing Thyroid Support Gold. I spoke with a representative at Pet Wellbeing after our consultation (I had a general question) and they recommended it be used in conjunction with the Pet Wellbeing Milk Thistle. They said liver function is a concern with hyperthyroidism. What are your thoughts about this? I'm wondering if starting him on just the Thyroid Support Gold and seeing how he takes and does with that first might be the first step. However, I don't want to neglect a potential issue. The Standard Process rep (see below) also mentioned addressing the liver.

You also recommended the SP thyroid support. Was this in conjunction with Pet Wellbeing Thyroid Support Gold?

In my second post in this thread, I posted what an SP rep communicated with a very helpful employee at my local holistic pet store, basically saying they've seen better experience "with a combination of Feline WBS and Feline Hepatic. Most hyperthyroid cats are seniors and I don’t like to jump right into a targeted liver support to avoid detoxing them too quickly. So I start Feline WBS first. Then add Feline Hepatic Support a couple weeks later. The liver is very involved in the conversion of thyroid hormones so we find that may cats have congested livers and will benefit from the liver support. I have seen better results with this combo than the Canine Thyroid. Some vets like the Canine Thyroid so it really depends on experience."

I'm not sure how to sort through this information and/or how to use it/introduce it in conjunction with the Pet Wellbeing Thyroid Support. I definitely don't want to overburden his system with too many things at once.

I guess my main question is do I give him liver support now and if so, what support do I go with? Do I wait and see how he does on the Thyroid Support Gold and then start him on liver support later, if needed? I'm not sure how I'll know if it's needed but I'm going to trust that process.

I have him on Feline Immune System Support now but will switch him over to Feline Whole Body Support.

BashaC

Registered
Hi @Dr. Jeff. Charlie has been on Pet Wellbeing Thyroid Support Gold for a few months now. Towards the end of January (before starting the thyroid support), he stopped eating and being social (very unusual for him). The homeopath vet (Dr. Chris Barrett) had me dose him with Nat Mur 200c and he was back to his usual self.
In mid-April, I noticed he had some congestion and Dr. Chris had me dose him again with Nat Mur 200c. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the congestion since then.

I don't live near the colony anymore and am not the one feeding them everyday (my parents are) but I go up once or twice a week to be with them and feed them.

Two of Charlie's favorite things are eating and being brushed.

Last week when I was there, Charlie wasn't interested in his food. I noticed he had lost a little weight (but not more than he does when the weather starts to get warm). My dad said Charlie had been eating. Other than not eating while I was there last week, he was behaving as he usually does.

I was with Charlie and his colony last night and this morning. Charlie wasn't interested in eating dinner or breakfast. I haven't noticed any new weight loss. He came over to be brushed this morning but it was like he physically couldn't stand to be touched. Emotionally, he felt connected. It's been raining but normally, he'll eat rain or shine. He normally will hang out with me while I'm there, even if we're not directly interacting but last night after coming over to his dish and not eating, he just went into his cat house. He's only done this one other time while I've been out there with him, and that was at the end of January, which prompted me to dose him with the first Nat Mur 200 dose. I did see him drink a little water this morning.

I spoke with Dr. Chris today and she gave me some physical things to look and feel for when I feed Charlie tonight (heart rate, lymph nodes, abdomen, hydration test, gums, etc.) so that she can have more information to prescribe a remedy. Hopefully he'll let me touch him, although he only lets me touch him in specific places still. He is a colony cat after all. If I take him to the vets, they need to sedate him and he's been sedated four times since the end of July. I'm really hesitant to have him sedated again, let alone the stress of it all and needing to be in a kennel if he needs to be inside the house...

My questions are:
1. Have you ever heard of side effects of Pet Wellbeing Thyroid Support Gold? Could that be a factor?

2. When he doesn't eat his food, he doesn't get his thyroid medication (we put it in his food). Is there cause for concern about him not getting the thyroid support if he doesn't eat every meal? I can see if I can get it directly into his mouth, but I have a feeling that, even if I can the first time, he may not let me close enough to do it again. Any suggestions?
3. We also give him SP Feline Whole Body Support in his food. Is there anything else you think would be helpful to supplement him with to support him? He gets homemade raw food with fish oil, digestive enzymes, probiotics, vitamin e and b, and taurine mixed in.

Because he's a colony cat, I don't see his poo. I'll watch to see when he goes to the bathroom while I'm there, though. I haven't noticed any throw up in the yard where he mostly stays.

His BEAM last night and this morning was different than usual. He felt emotionally connected, alert but low energy. He wasn't as physically as social. When I did briefly touch him, there was some weakness in his back legs. His back legs normally bend when I brush or touch him over his low back, but I only touched him along the side today and his back legs bent (went weak). I've felt for several years that he has some arthritis in his back legs and he can be a little stiff there when he walks.

Many thanks for your guidance.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
good for you to be patient, and taking the time to collect more symptoms.
1. I have not heard of problems
2.Not a problem to miss the supplement (I think that was what you were meaning).
3. Usually cats love the SP products. Maybe try as a treat.
Definitely include the weakness in the rear (and the history of it) when reporting to Dr. Barrett. The unusual energy and maybe even the weakness could be a response to the nat mur you gave this AM. We have to be patient and wait out aggravations, especially when dealing with pathology (thyroid) and long term illness.

Hang in there and keep communicating with Dr. Barrett.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, yes and yes to what Dr. Christina wrote.

You may also want to ask Dr. Chris about a double dose (2 doses 8-12 hours apart) succussed in water of Nat mur 200.

Also, sorry to miss your 1/16 post.

What are your thoughts about this?
Yes, hyperthroid and secondary liver enzyme abnormalities is fairly common. I have not seen any clinical liver problems (weight loss and heart problems are the most common issues I see)
Was this in conjunction with Pet Wellbeing Thyroid Support Gold?

Yes.
Do I wait and see how he does on the Thyroid Support Gold and then start him on liver support later, if needed?
Yes.

Less is more (of the supplements).

BashaC

Registered
@Dr. Jeff and @Dr. Christina Thanks so much for your input. I'm relieved to hear there likely aren't side effects of the thyroid support gold and that it's not an issue to miss doses of the thyroid support. The last time I dosed him with Nat Mur 200 was April 15.

Unfortunately, Charlie doesn't like the SP Feline Whole Body Support and I have to chop it up very finely and hide it as best as I can in his food. Another one of the colony cats also gets it and she doesn't mind it, but I still need to put it in her food for her to eat it. I'm wondering if this particular formula isn't as tasty as some of the others.

I'll ask Dr. Chris about the double dose. Thank you for the suggestion.

@Dr. Jeff Could you say more about "Less is more (of the supplements)"? I've always thought to throw a bunch of things at an imbalance and boost the system. I'm learning there's a balance of not overtaxing the system with supplements, but I'm also having a bit of difficultly (fear too) of not giving him everything I can think of that might help boost his system.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Unfortunately, Charlie doesn't like the SP Feline Whole Body Support and I have to chop it up very finely and hide it as best as I can in his food
This may be why he is not eating well. Maybe try not putting this in the food and seeing if he eats better.
Could you say more about "Less is more (of the supplements)"?
Great question! Thanks for asking!!

Briefly, this is because the more supplements we use to dull symptoms, the greater the chance that the underlying energetic balance worsens.

It's similar to using multiple plumbing patches for a pipe that's weakening and developing leaks and which then just breaks down. The leaks (like symptoms that we cover up with medications and supplements) are clues that there is an underlying problem.

Here's one example (@aruna can point you to any other resources we have about this important topic):

There also may be more in the 101 course:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom