• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

11 mo kitten spaying

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
I have 11 mo abyssinian cat I have to spay. When I got her she was very sick and it took 8 month to bring her to her current healthy herself. She was FeCV and FHV-1 pos and active, with high clostridium toxicity. She was treated with a few different antibiotics after which her microbiome was wiped out. After 2 cycles of the fecal replacement, Chinese herbs and Chinese food therapy her stool is normal for more than 1 month, she stopped sneezing and coughing. Cleo had her first estrus about 10 days ago. She is in much better place now and im thinking it’s time to spay her. My questions are 1. how to minimize the risks associated with the anesthesia ; 2. how we can avoid antibiotics since they may be required after the surgery; 3. what should I do to avoid or minimize the surgery complications? Any advice and expertise are greatly appreciated.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great job with helping your kitty heal Elena!
My questions are 1. how to minimize the risks associated with the anesthesia ;
You've already taken the most important steps! Getting her back into balance was the best way to reduce risk from anesthesia. Plenty of fun, purring, treats of freeze-dried hearts and kidneys will help before anesthesia. It will also help to visualize an uneventful surgery quick anesthetic recovery. Offer Reiki the day before and morning of surgery.

The risks from modern anesthesia using isoflurane are minimal for this quick and routine procedure.
2. how we can avoid antibiotics since they may be required after the surgery;
Anti-biotics are not routinely prescribed aft spays, neuters, and other sterile surgeries.
3. what should I do to avoid or minimize the surgery complications?

Try to keep her a bit quiet for the first few days. Promote quiet, rest and relaxation. If she is revved up and ready to go as soon as she gets home, then try to pet her to stimulate purring and quiet playing. The same actions which I mentioned to minimize risks of anesthesia will also help her recover easier, quicker and uneventfully.

She will do fine!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Elena, what a great healing you have done with Cleo.

I second all Dr. Jeff said. I would also look at which foods seemed to help her the most, and focus on those before and after.

There are many energetic healing in addition to Reiki and any of them that resonate with you could help. The more energy approaches you can learn, you will find ones that you love the most. Also music and healing sounds.

Before, then after surgery, carefully list and quantify any symptoms including BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) and Early Warning Signs of Internal Imbalance. You may find it easier if you download the Healthy Cat Journal.
After surgery, revisit her symptoms list from the perspective of watching the post healing naturally happen. Only if there seem to be very concerning problems do you need to treat.

Dr. Christina

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Hello,

As I wrote before Cleo is getting spayEd on Monday. About 6 mo ago my new local conventional vet observed the slight gingival hyperplasia and mentioned that when Cleo would be healthy enough for the spaying surgery she could remove the excess of the gum at the same time. I inclined to ask for the hyperplasia removal if confirmed on Monday. My concern is an oral antibiotic prescription if the vet will insist.
can I get away without oral antibiotics if the oral procedure will be performed? I have ozone olive oil at home, I can feed her with the cooked meal only for a few days. She is on the oral TEEF dental and Felix Flora, what else can be done in this case to avoid an oral antibiotics and prevent an infection?

Thank you very much

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I wold feel comfortable using the ozone and not an antibiotic. Do discuss if there is an absolute need to surgically remove the hyperplasia. Is it causing a problem?

Dr. Christina

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Christina. I really can’t make a judgement. Cleo is a petite cat with the small mouth I have a problem to take a clear look. Her gums looks much healthier and less angry in general after her gut got better and a use of an ozonated olive oil.
I don’t notice she has any problems or difficulties to chew.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Well, maybe you can discuss it with the vet. See if she and you are comfortable waiting a few months to see if it continues to improve. Or do it without worry.

And training Cleo to let you do ANYTHING to her will help in the long run. Worth the time to very slowly get her to love having you lift lips, open mouth, etc, along with take temp, clean ears, handle feet...etc .

Dr. Christina

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Hello Drs. Christina, Jeff and Jean,
Cleo was spayed July 17, there was no need for the gum overgrown removal.
The surgery went OKand she went home the next day ( its a mandatory overnight stay for an observation)
I gave her Calendula 200 C and Arnica 30Cfor 5 days. (I ordered Arnica 1 mil, ibut got 10 mil and noticed too late to administer to Cleo, that’s why I used 30 C).
She was very fine to be confined to the large crate. She got some freedom back on day 7 and looked and behaved normal. Then slowly her behavior changed And changed drastically. She is withdrawn, subdued, passive, sleeping a lot, refusing to play. She eats very well and allows me to touch her, she sleeps with me willingly. On Monday I’m taking her to vet to remove the sutures.
I wonder if she is nursing some pain and more remedies needed, or it’s a phycological/mental issues due to the surgery? How to recognize what the reason for Cleo‘s unhappiness is -a physical or mental pain ?
Thank you all.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Have you created your holistic health care team yet? A homeopathic, TCVM, chiropractic vet? This is critically important. Search for "select".

Normally we give only one homeopathic medicine at a time. I would wait another week with lots and lots of loving, playing, happiness protocol, mental and physical stimulation and positive, loving thoughts on your part.

If the behavior continues, though we do not generally prescribe homeopathic medicines, I would suggest Staphysagria. It often helps with behavior changes like this after surgery. Because I am not collecting all of her symptoms, current and past, this is just a possible remedy out of 7,000! I would only try one dose of 200c or 3 doses, one per day, of 30c. Wait at least a week and record all changes. In the meantime, become a client of a homeopathic vet, take the homeopathy classes offered for free at HA!. Go to the homeopathy resource page.

Alternatively, try some flower essences - multiple companies andd discussions on the site and the forum. @Dr. Jean Hofve is an expert on FE.

And you could consult with an animal intuitive to see what they pick up.

Dr. Christina

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Christina,
This morning Cleo woke up as herself, the normal healthy and happy kitten. I will follow your advice try to find a homeopathic vet locally.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
There are still few homeopathic vets, so most likely you will find a relatively local holistic vet, and then maybe have a phone consulting homeopathic vet on board as well.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom