• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Need an advice on the natural appetite stimulant

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Hello everybody,

My 17 mo indoor cat is not eating well. It was very rough 2 month for us starting from one more URI then flea infestation ( from the puppy???), and the diarrhea.

Cleo successfully recovered from the original URI in October using liquid Chinese formulation. We got rid of our kfleas and cleaned the house using the convention and holistic products In October as well. We still continue to steam the house every 2 weeks.

Then Cleo got the nasal passages inflammation leading to the completely stuffed nose. She stopped eating.The steam baths, warm compresses and AE oil didn’t work. On day 3 of her refusing to eat I resigned and took her to the vet. She got Convenia shot and subQ fluids. Two weeks after Convenia I administer her one dose Thuja 10 m. ( The dose of Silicea 10 M has to be given this week). Very slowly her nasal passages cleared up
but she still ate very little. Up to date Since October 15 she lost 1.5 lbs. Cleo is small cat and her normal weight is about 6.5 lbs.

Her normal diet was Smalls gently cooked chicken, turkey and beef plus different brands of freeze dry food and treats ( Stella & Chewy’s, Bixbi Rowblee, Vital Essential, Green Juju and some other brands ). CLeo alway has been a finicky and picky eater. When she suddenly stopped eating Smalls we went through the number of different canned and freeze dry foods, she didn’t like any of them.
The food she started eating was Bixbi Rawble Chicken mixed with Turkey baby food. She didn’t like to mix the new food to any of her old food so the process of switching the old food to new one had led us to the diarrhea disaster In addition to the anorexia.
24 hours fast didn’t make her eat better but with the help of Animal Biome Gut Maintenance Plus, Ion Gut Support and Jackson’s Happy Tummy CLeo’s diarrhea is almost gone. But her appetite didn’t return.

I agreed to try Transdermal Mirtazapine, gave Cleo 2 doses (.05 ml) in 2 days. She did start eating better but become very vocal (she normally is a very quiet cat) and agitated. I won’t continue this medicine.

Right now I am on looking for any advice how to increase Cleo appetite naturally regardless if there is underlying condition we can’t pin point right now which makes her to be a reluctant eater. She needs to gain wait promptly.

Her BEAM is low . She is not a happy cat, her coat does not look good. I warm her food, I supplement her with Adored Beast Phyto Synergy and Felix’s Flora, DMG, vit B12. She has a daily dose of TEEF Life probiotic and Ozohated Olive oil for the oral care. She has gingivitis.

Thank you for your advice.

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
PS. I gladly will cook for her but need an advice on the irresistible, simple and balanced recipe for her sensitive stomach. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Elena!

I'm sorry to hear. about Cleo's continued health challenges. :confused:

Baby food, Fancy Feast, warming the food a bit, trying different consistencies of food, goat milk, cheese, eggs, etc. are all things that can help jumpstart her appetite.

Dr. Jean probably has even more ideas!

I think Cleo also has a chronic appetite issue that is fundamentally energetic and will need to be dealt with over the coming months. The best way to do so IMHO is with Hahnemannian ("classical") homeopathy.

Are you working with a trained vet homeopath? If so, scheduling a recheck with them may be helpful.

If you're not working with a vet regarding the dosing of Cleo's homeopathic medicines, it may be great to connect with someone (probably virtually) in the next few weeks.

Gradual careful prescribing over the next few decades of Cleo's life will pay off!??????

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr.Jeff. I do warm Cleo’s meal and she likes the baby food, not fan of eggs but ok with a little of the goat milk. I have never tried the cheese. It’s so frustrating. To me it looks like an aversion to the food. She is looking for the food, sniffing it but doesn’t eat.
When I got Cleo a little more then a year ago she was ill but at the same time she was happy, playful, active, very social, people loving kitten And always ready to eat. Now, at 17 mo she is the little sad cat.
There is another mystery - she suddenly doesn’t want to drink filtered water from the bowl or the faucet, only tap.
I do work with Dr. Cooney and will contact him.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
That's great to already be working with Dr. Cooney!

Homeopathic treatment to remove any energetic obstacles to a happy life is the perfect way to go IMHO.

Cleo has some great "4 P" symptoms (what homeopaths call "characteristic" symptoms that help define her individuality and susceptibility to dis-ease) like:

STOMACH - APPETITE - wanting - hunger; with: (79)

In other words, there are 79 homeopathic remedies in the rubric for anorexia but with desire to eat!

INFOGRAPHICS 4 p's.jpeg

And this might help put Cleo's symptoms into context:

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Many thanks Dr. Jeff! Your comments ant the link were very informative and useful for me.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The veterinary diets like Hill's a/d can be very helpful, they're pretty irresistable to most cats. Fishy foods (though not appropriate long-term) may be appetizing.

Have any other diagnostics been done on her? I am concerned about the feline viruses (FeLV, FIV, FIP), possibly toxoplasma and other tickborne diseases if you are in an endemic area. It could be helpful to rule those out or pinpoint what the issue is.

Overall I absolutely agree with Dr. Jeff, constitutional homeopathy is the key here.

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jean, feline viruses, toxoplasma tests been done today in addition to CBC, Superchem, B12, urine and stool test. Hope to have some results early next week. I didnt think about the tickborne diseases bc Cleo is strictly indoor cat. But you’re right and it should be done just in case.
I will try HI’ll diet. I’m ready to try whatever can help. She does not want to touch any fishy food, she turned away from the broiled chicken.

A few days ago she suddenly started eating as she supposed to eat but it lasted a day and half and now she slides to the same pattern just a few bites a food. She drinks a little of the raw goat milk and the chicken broth. I’m desperate and thinking if there is any liquid food available I can force in her with the syringe. I know this type of feeding is stressful and Cleo will hate it but i can’t watch her loosing a few ou every day.

I wonder if I should put her back on Transdermal Mirtazapine at least for a few days even I didn’t like the behavioral changes after this med? She started to eat better after the meds application though.

I gave her one dose of Silicea 10M on Wed ( one month after Thuja 10M).

Thanx for all your thoughts and guidance.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The Hill's food is very easy to syringe if mixed with a little water--one of its great advantages!

Mirtazipine is fantastic, and I have used it a lot, but it does have side effects--my own cat just went through a horrible adverse reaction. Since she already had mild neuro signs, I wouldn't chance it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom