• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

UTI-Does it need antibiotics?

MelissaC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi there-

I am posting here first, then I'll explore what has already been offered on this subject.

Just a few minutes ago, I noticed that after using the bathroom, Emmy, my female had a slightly pink watery substance on her back leg feathering and around her lady parts. I am assuming she probably has a UTI. I'll get a catch in the morning to confirm. I know how uncomfortable and painful these can be for me, yet I was wondering do I need antibiotics to cure it? Right now, other than licking her lady area after coming in from going to the bathroom, she is not exhibiting any other symptoms.

I have cranberry and Uva Ursi on hand.

Thank you in advance!

Melissa and Emmy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about Emmy's UTI symptoms.

Great question Melissa, and my answer is that it depends on factors like her age, history, diet, and your goal in treating the possible blood in her urine.

Might she be coming in to heat?

Has she had prior urinary symptoms of any kind?

In general the answer is no anti-biotics are needed (from my perspective).

However the conventional vet care reply is that yes, antibiotics are needed to treat the symptoms of a UTI (though they don't actually cure the problem).

The essence of the difference IMHO is how symptoms are interpreted.

Holistically/homeopathically we see them as one part of the overall context where quality of life as reflected by BEAM is most important.
Element-BEAM up right.png
Conventionally, symptoms are signs of disease (and malfunction of the body).

So another important question is, how is her BEAM?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Great perspective, Dr. Jeff and I agree that rarely are antibiotics indicated.

There are many gentle ways of soothing urinary tract symptoms.
Flower essences, Vitamin C, Essential oils, Herbs, Reiki and more.

Since you were headed to research on the site, let us know what you decided for your first step.

Dr. Christina

MelissaC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi all,

So right after I saw the blood I did start her on the Uva Ursi, cranberry, and the astragalus I had on hand. I posted my question on here and then did some research within HA!. I did read about using homeopathics for the possible bladder infection and I chose Nux Vomica because it fit her symptom pattern and it is what I had on hand. Side note-Aconite also seemed to fit, but when offered both homeopathics Emmy chose Nux.

The next morning I dropped off urine at the vet to be tested. Initially, I just asked for a test strip dip test, where it was positive for blood, but then they went ahead and sent it out to the lab. It has since come back with rods and antibiotics are suggested.

Here are some questions that I have:

1. Without taking Emmy to the vet, how would I know if this was treatable at home or she should be seen by a vet?
  2. If I purchased urine test strips for home use, how would I use them to answer question one?
  3. What do I do now that rods were seen? Use antibiotics or retest her urine at home in a day or so after following the herbal and homeopathic protocol I have implemented already?
  4. Emmy's BEAM is not a reliable indicator of the severity of her bladder infections. The last time she had a BI we saw no overtly unusual symptoms until one evening she urinated in the house and you could smell that there was a problem.
  5. Is it possible for her to clear the infection without antibiotics and how would I know that it is gone?
I also think what really causes me the most angst is thinking she might be in any discomfort-even though she is not acting that way.

I am really looking forward to reading your answers. I think this is a great teaching moment. :)

Thank you,

Melissa

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, the homeopathic answer does not lie in picking a remedy "for" the bladder alone. And it's a dead giveaway here that she has repeated episodes - and also very significant that she seems not to be bothered by them. It should be totally possible to improve her health overall to the point where this particular weakness doesn't express.
It won't hurt anything to try some popular adjuncts, such as cranberry, oils, etc. It also can only be helpful to use Reiki, TCM, acupuncture, T-Touch, etc. But I believe that this predilection is just an indicator of general systemic disturbance - this can be from hereditary influences, past experiences or insults, the innate makeup of her personality - it's just "her thing", her area of weakness. And this is why I feel that incisive homeopathic case taking and prescribing would be the most effective and permanent resolution. The bladder stuff isn't "what's wrong", it's just a big ol' clue. And a few bacteria floating around are not the enemy; their presence doesn't matter right now. Killing them off is not an answer at this point. Adjusting her system, bringing back her innate balance and strength, will obviate them in time.
So, definitely talk to the doctors here. And be effusively cheerful with her, spoil her rotten, do the things she loves, spend time playing, going out, and eating yummy treats.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Exactly Ginny. Thanks so much for your awe-some reply!

Melissa:

1. One useful way to decide (at home) about a vet visit is based on BEAM.

If Emmy's BEAM is great, then a vet visit right away is probably not needed. However, if her BEAM drops, with or without UTI symptoms, then a vet visit is safest. The lower her BEAM, the sooner the vet visit is indicated.

Beyond that though, it depends on your HMDM Step 1 Goal. If, as Ginny discusses, your goal is better balance overall with reduction/elimination of symptom then the answer is yes, her body can heal sufficiently to do this.

If however your HMDM Step 1 is a "diagnosis" and conventional vet treatment recommendations, then you'll need to bring her in.

2. Blood, protein and pH are the 3 most useful tests on the strip. Here's Sue doing her home urinalyses:

3. Repeat with a sterile urine sample (however that requires a vet visit). Anti-biotics might resolve her symptoms, but ideally you'd do a urine culture first to know which one to use.

4.Yes, I understand what you're saying about BEAM but it's only 4 of the possible (external) symptoms. They also happen to be the ones clinically correlated with the severity of the internal imbalance.

Symptoms are always the key. In Emmy's case, the ones to monitor in addition to BEAM are:

one evening she urinated in the house and you could smell that there was a problem.
Those are a few you'll be monitoring, but really any urinary symptom (which is probably the "seat" of her dis-ease)

5. Yes. You know by monitoring internal and external symptoms.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom