• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Unusual behaviors during estrus cycle

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
My dog is in her 12th day of estrus cycle. Besides the abnormal appetite, is it common (and/or normal) for them to liking unusual objects? We just went on a walk and she was fascinated by a black mask that was in the parking lot and wanted to get to it no matter how far I brought her a way from it, she would pull and tried to run towards that mask. We're home now and she's panting and wanting to go out, and Im sure it's because she wants to get to that mask. @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Sara @GinnyW

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I don't see this as an estrus behavior per se.

However, other changes in behavior during estrus are common but may be abnormal. For example, I commonly see eating unusual objects, and not just licking them.

I wonder if you've seen behavior like this before, or if it will persist?

Perhaps let her go out and sniff or lick the mask and see if she tries eating it (don't let her!).

Let's see what experiences Dr. Sara and Ginny have had with behavior and pica (eating non-food objects) changes during estrus.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yes, well - acting starving, yes. Eating inappropriate objects, no, not at all. So I'm no help here. I did have to separate them at meals, but then, they were separated anyway. Lots of nesting, too.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Or just not acting hungry and not wanting food.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom