• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Phytoplankton - not a good source for Omega3?

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hello - I read a post by Dr. Karen Becker that there’s very little DHA and no EPA in Phytoplankton so she does not recommend it as a source for Omega3. What's your take on it?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Dr. Jeff may have more specific information about Dr. Becker's claims.

A product I was introduced to at the Intermediate Class is Smartzyme - and it has high levels of DHA. Their studies and processing are very complete and they can specifically answer any questions you may have about the EPA.
"Sustainably produced, natural, non-GMO, whole cell, protein-rich, micro-algae, that contains DHA Omega 3 fatty acid, complete with active DHA producing Enzymes. Several members have seen benefits feeding it.

Bill Wolf wrote an article about seaweed in general, covering many of the criteria that determine the amount of nutrients (and toxins) found in any product. I respect the author.

I also respect Dr. Jean Hofve who states in an IVC article -
"A relative newcomer to the Omega scene, phytoplankton forms the basis of the marine food ecosystem. A whole food supplement, it offers a beneficial array of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids, including EPA. Freshwater phytoplankton does not produce EPA. A proprietary combination of freshwater and marine phytoplankton does, but in only minuscule amounts. Neither is a sufficient source of Omega-3s."

Dr. Chambreau

lizkunz

VIP Member
Registered
A note about Smartzyme. My dogs have started to be picky eaters. I think they may be balking at some of the supplements I'm putting in their food. So now I'm rotating the supplements. I did purchase Smartzme at the class, and so far they seem to like it! They will even lick it off my fingers!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Thanks, Liz, for your feedback.

Will be great to make the distinction between an early warning sign of internal imbalance (picky appetite) versus just too many supplements.

Dr. Christina

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
A note about Smartzyme. My dogs have started to be picky eaters. I think they may be balking at some of the supplements I'm putting in their food. So now I'm rotating the supplements. I did purchase Smartzme at the class, and so far they seem to like it! They will even lick it off my fingers!

Hi there! Have you tried other sources of omega3s such as Krill Oil?

D

Darci

Dr. Jeff may have more specific information about Dr. Becker's claims.

A product I was introduced to at the Intermediate Class is Smartzyme - and it has high levels of DHA. Their studies and processing are very complete and they can specifically answer any questions you may have about the EPA.
"Sustainably produced, natural, non-GMO, whole cell, protein-rich, micro-algae, that contains DHA Omega 3 fatty acid, complete with active DHA producing Enzymes. Several members have seen benefits feeding it.

Bill Wolf wrote an article about seaweed in general, covering many of the criteria that determine the amount of nutrients (and toxins) found in any product. I respect the author.

I also respect Dr. Jean Hofve who states in an IVC article -
"A relative newcomer to the Omega scene, phytoplankton forms the basis of the marine food ecosystem. A whole food supplement, it offers a beneficial array of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids, including EPA. Freshwater phytoplankton does not produce EPA. A proprietary combination of freshwater and marine phytoplankton does, but in only minuscule amounts. Neither is a sufficient source of Omega-3s."

Dr. Chambreau
So sounds like conflicting answers and I’m unsure. Bill Wolf says it’s a good source and Dr. Hofve seems to align more with Dr. Becker. I will continue to explore this polarized discussion. Thank you.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom