• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Inflamatory Bowel disease in senior chihuahua

AmeliaP

Community Member
Registered
1. Your pet's name Bruce Wayne
2. Approximate age 11
3. Sex Male
4. Neutering status Yes neutered
5. Breed Chihuhua rescue mix
6. Approximate weight 8.5 was 11.5
7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) Wakes up with energy, Difficulty at night due to gas, doesn't sleep due to agitation. Poops 3 to 4 times a day, eats 3-4 meals a day. Always wants to eat. Has gone down to 7 lbs but is steady at 8.5, his normal weight is 11.5.lbs
8. Diet Prior to IBD, I boiled chicken and mixed it with carrots and brown rice, I added a canine powdered vitamin. After his diagnosis about 6 months ago he started with Science diet Biome in the can and dry kibble together. He ate a lot and pooped a lot due to the high fiber. , gained a little weight but literally pooped almost immediately after eating. Then transitioned to Science diet ZD both dry and kibble. Still soft poop and not gaining a whole lot of weight and pooping equal to his meals, but slightly better . Then we tried keeping the wet ZD and adding Purina HAhydrolized vegetarian diet, thinking the fat is not good for him. That is where we are today and he is not tolerating the HA because his poo is very soft and it caused him to have more gas and loose stool more than any other food.
9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication . He was misdiagnosed for at least 6 months where local vets prescribed gabapentin, trazodone, benedryl and cbd, which only made it worse. Now he is on 2.5 mg of predisone, started at 5 mg
10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time. Began about 1 year ago. We moved to Fairfield CT about 1 1/2 years ago. We were living in West Orange NJ prior that where he had lived most his life with us. He has 2 moms no kids. Took us 5 tries to find a vet that would take us seriously and not say it was behavioral. He is skiddish and shakes a lot but I believe that is mostly his breed characteristics.
11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? Exercise seems to help and he is much happier when the weather is warmer as he is a short haired chihuahua
12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them.) After an ultrasound and Endoscopy it was determined he has inflammatory bowel disease
13. Current and previous treatment. Probiotic daily. Prednisone 2.5mg currently and various prescription diets . 250 mcg of vitamin B12 injections once every 2 weeks, in the beginning it was every week
14. Other health concerns. arthritis. My head is spinning and I don't know what to do next.

Attachments

• Colonoscopy Report.pdf
    412.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Consultation Report.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Stomach.pdf
    252 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Amelia!

Welcome to HA! and thanks so much for making your first post.

My head is spinning
Wow, I bet!! Dr, Morgan listed 10 different things on Bruce's "problem" list.

Yet Bruce says he's fine!! ? :dog2::snowman:

And I concur based on the diagnostic info you posted.

It would be wonderful if you could share the histopathology (biopsy) report.

The 3rd message in this reply to Joanne contains many of the same strategies you may want to start right away for Bruce.

And if you haven't already taken the HA! 101 course, that would also be helpful to read through when you have time:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Great beginning to start with the 101 class,

Also, since there is a lot going on, download and assemble and begin the Healthy Dog Journal. By clearing tracking symptoms and treatments, and understanding responses to treatments and lifestyle changes, you will better know what works and what does not.

Trying some fresh food would be good. And there are healthier prescription diets - Medicus and some Chinese Medicine ones.

Keep us posted with your new choices and his responses to each.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom