• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Better or worse to skip the "booster" dose of a vaccine?

TinaS

Registered
Hello - I recently adopted a 4yr old pup from a rescue organization who gave this little guy the works for vaccines. :( They told me that I'm supposed to get him his "booster" within 2 weeks for Duramune Max 5-CvK/4L, which is described as :

" vaccination of healthy dogs 6 weeks or older as an aid in the prevention of Distemper, Adenovirus Type 2, Coronavirus, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus , Leptospira Bacterin."

I am defnitely one to minimize vaccines as much as possible but my question is whether it is better to give the booster than to leave the initial dose in place - any thoughts on this? I lean towards leaving it alone, but I don't understand enough about boosters to know their purpose and if it's better to complete the process or leave it half way.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Congratulations on your new pup Tina!

What's his name and do you have any pics?

I agree with Ginny. No other vaccines except rabies, by law and when balanced, only.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Hi Tina,
While there are many different possible choices for vaccinating, you new "pup", even if never previously vaccinated, probably has great natural immunity. There is definitely no need to repeat these vaccines.

Now would be a great time to start building your health care team, and maybe finding a local vet who is either holistic or at least open to your choices.

Dr. Christina

TinaS

Registered
Thank you everyone! I am relieved to hear this and just wanted expert opinions that the booster was better left alone. I understand these rescue organizations feel its their duty, so this is where we are starting from :)

And yes Dr Christina - I am in process of forming his health care team now! I expect to have a holistic vet for his primary care. I found an integrative vet in Baltimore (Everheart Vet) that I wanted to meet with for a start, but also planning to get setup with conventional vet just few mins away (Laytonsville) just so that I have an easy place to get bloodwork and other diagnostics should that ever be needed to support holistic vet.

Come to think of it, I may use my May HA call to help me work through how to best set up the "team".

His name is Reggie and he is quite the sweet boy :) It has been so fun to see his little personality unfold each day as he gets happier and sillier. He has drastically helped heal my broken heart!!!!

Reggie.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Congratulations Tina, he's very handsome and is lucky to have found you!:D

Great idea for your May call. Dr. Christina is the world expert on helping pet parents build a holistic vet team.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you everyone! I am relieved to hear this and just wanted expert opinions that the booster was better left alone. I understand these rescue organizations feel its their duty, so this is where we are starting from :)

And yes Dr Christina - I am in process of forming his health care team now! I expect to have a holistic vet for his primary care. I found an integrative vet in Baltimore (Everheart Vet) that I wanted to meet with for a start, but also planning to get setup with conventional vet just few mins away (Laytonsville) just so that I have an easy place to get bloodwork and other diagnostics should that ever be needed to support holistic vet.

Come to think of it, I may use my May HA call to help me work through how to best set up the "team".

His name is Reggie and he is quite the sweet boy :) It has been so fun to see his little personality unfold each day as he gets happier and sillier. He has drastically helped heal my broken heart!!!!

Reggie.jpg
Good Luck. He is such a cutie pie. They count on us to not betray them with ignorance. Always good to check and verify EVERYTHING.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Great photos of Reggie - sooo cute.
Do have your May call with me as I used to live in MD.
Everhart is great - Allison Key is a very good holistic vet and good at communicating, too.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom