• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Possible Vaccinosis or Vaccine related illness

GiselaL

All-Access Member
Registered
My dearest Jolie was adopted her on Sept 7, 2020, she's been our fur-baby a little over a year now. All was going super. She adapted well to her new family and home, she was easy to train and she is so smart. We enjoy so many wonderful moments with her from cuddling to hiking with her. Three weeks ago after her one year physical including being vaccinated (Distemper and Rabies) we noticed that she wasn't behaving like herself. She didn't get out of bed and seemed not to be feeling well overall. I took her to her vet and they gave her meds and send her home. Three days after that I return to the vet because she seemed to be in pain. Her vet said that he thinks she might have injured her neck, and referred her to a neurologist. I then proceeded to take her to the neurologist who discovered that she has a little fluid around her heart and thorax, all other blood work came back negative. The neurologist wants to do more bloodwork. She's currently on Gabapentin, and 2 types antibiotics I am hopeful that she will get better. If anyone has any advise that might be helpful for me i would greatly appreciate it. And your prayers are welcomed. Thank you.

P.S. In the last week I've researched possible causes for Jolie's symptoms. As I start understanding more on vaccines and over vaccination, I am starting to see the correlation between the time she was vaccinated, the type of vaccines and when she got sick.

Grateful,
Gisela

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about Jolie's fluid around the heart! :confused:

Yes, a trigger 3 weeks ago (like vaccinosis) seems likely.

If you can share more details about Jolie and maybe also attach the neurologist report or other exam/test results, that would be super helpful.

Aruna made a helpful forum posting guide that may help:

GiselaL

All-Access Member
Registered
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about Jolie's fluid around the heart! :confused:

Yes, a trigger 3 weeks ago (like vaccinosis) seems likely.

If you can share more details about Jolie and maybe also attach the neurologist report or other exam/test results, that would be super helpful.

Aruna made a helpful forum posting guide that may help:

Jolie, is 1 yr 3 months female dog. She was spayed Nov. 2020. Her breed is dachshund mix (dachshund, rat terrier, chihuahua, and a couple of other small dog breed). She weight 14.4, a month ago before she got sick. I know she has lost weight but not sure how much. I know that the first week (approximately 3.5 weeks ago) when she got sick she weigh 12.2, and probably has lost more weight since then.

B=Her current behavior is lethargy, lost of interest in spending time with us, screams if touched normally or picked up to take outside. We avoid touching the front of her body. Doesn't turn her head to look and walks unsteady (slides on the floor). She has trouble getting out of bed, and trembles constantly,
E=Low to medium energy. Some days are better than other. For example, last week she was moving a lot more. This week is is moving less and doesn't look comfortable.
A= A week ago Jolie started eating small amounts of home cooked foods. She won't eat her kibble (I'm fine with that). Currently, she eating small meals.
M=She looks depressed/sad.

Before, Jolie got sick she ate Science Diet kibble (Hill's® Science Diet® Adult Small Paws™ Chicken Meal & Rice Recipe dog food) and sometimes cook meals, like rice and chicken.

Vaccination HX:
9/10/20 DAPP Initial (8-9 weeks of age)
10/8/20 Panacur granules given for positive giardia
10/9/20 Metronidazole tablets 250mg
10/8/20 DAPP booster
10/8/20 Rabies 1 year (RSBC1Y)
10/29/20 DAPP 1 year
10/29/20 Lyme Vacc
11/23/20 Lyme Vacc 1 year
11/2/20 Drontal Plus
10/15/21 Carprofen Caplets 25mg
10/15/21 Gabapentin 100mg
10/11/21 Carprofen. Caplets 25mg
10/11/21 Orbax suspension 30mg/ml
10/11/21 Cerenia Injectable .60ml
10/11/21 Subcutaneous fluid 100ml
10/11/21 Metacam Injectable .30ml
10/9/21 DAPP Vacc 3 year
10/9/21 Rabies 3 year
10/9/21 SNAP canine 4dx
6/8/21 Convenia injectable .
6/8/21 Metacam Injectable
2/6/21 Carprofen Chewable tablet 25mg
2/6/21 Clavamox Tablets 125mg
2/6/21 Metacam Injectable
...and heartguard and nexguard monthly chewables

Neurologist report: See attachment

Jolie's problem started soon after her last vaccination on Oct 9, 2021. The situation is better, but some days she regresses with her problem. No current diagnosis even after some testing from neurologist, which is how they found some fluid around the heart. It was also detected that her white blood were high and her albumin was low. I have attached all of her medical records. Thank you.

Attachments

• JOLIE-11698_ph.pdf
    97 KB · Views: 4
  • clinicalSummary_AN425301_CN2401054_S498 (1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Gisela,
Short legged, long backed dogs are prone to neck and back problems. This is because their body mechanics put extra stress on the joints, and because the cartilage between the joints ages prematurely. I would strongly suggest acupuncture, as this has been shown to have better results in alleviating neck and back pain than conventional treatments, and you can use acupuncture with conventional meds.

The fluid in the chest and around the heart is troubling. It could well be an inflammatory response to the immune stimulation from vaccination, though it would be impossible to prove it. Small dogs are more likely to have vaccine reactions, so it is wise to minimize vaccination and space out necessary vaccines.

The increase in neutrophils (a kind of white blood cell increased with inflammation) also supports an inflammatory response as a cause of the chest fluid. I would suggest working with a homeopath or a skilled herbal / Traditional Chinese Medicine vet to help Jolie.

I am glad that Jolie wants to eat home prepared food. That will support her recovery much better.
Best regards,
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom