• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Acute Onset of Eye Issues in Sibling Cats

RobinO

All-Access Member
Registered
Two days ago I noticed one of our foster cats (6 months old) had some mild, creamy discharge from his right eye. He squinted a bit but it wasn't bad. I gave him euphrasia. Today it's not worse. I think it's basically all right.

This morning his brother has eye discharge (more obvious/weepy) out of his left eye and the fur over the eye is gone. My first reaction was to try apple cider vinegar washes, but now that I think about it, the missing fur over the eye makes me wonder if this is a food allergy, NOT an eye infection. I've been feeding one brand of raw, but different proteins in that line of food. I would hate for it to be the food, but it's so weird they both presented with similar eye issues in 48 hrs.

Anyway to tell the difference between an allergic reaction vs conjunctivitis?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin-

Allergic reaction is a "diagnosis" whereas conjunctivitis is  description of symptoms (conjunctival inflammation from allergy, "infection/URTI", etc.).

The "good" news is that <strong>we know the cause</strong> and don't need to know the trigger in order to homeopathically treat.

<em>Can you say what the cause is?</em>

As always, it's important to note if there are<strong> any other changes</strong>.

Especially to BEAM and changes in overall status.

Such as clinginess (more/less/unchanged), thirst, change in sleeping spots, etc.

Also, it would be great if you could post some pics of their eyes.

Thanks.

RobinO

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm not sure I'm clear on the difference between cause and trigger. I think of them as being interchangable.

Wondering if this is an injury since there are other foster cats with him who aren't so thrilled he's in the same space. Maybe he got smacked. It's not a dangerous environment and there's no fighting-FYI. I'm taking him to see a vet tomorrow afternoon to rule out injury since it looks more swollen now.

It's been less than 24hrs. I haven't spent much time with him in that time period so I can't say much about other issues. Nothing obvious. BEAM normal.

Gave him Euphrasia and washed wACV diluted. Photo taken a few hours after.

RobinO

All-Access Member
Registered
It's been 90 mins. since last update. His third eyelid is raised, red and raw. There was milky white discharge. He washed his face before I could get a photo. This is the best I can manage. Just re-dosed him with Euphrasia.

He just ate dinner and was playful afterwards. No BEAM change.

RobinO

All-Access Member
Registered
Update: Re-dosed this morning before going to the vet. Once there I could see better (better lighting). It looked very bad, bloody red conjunctiva and third eyelid. Vet said it was a very bad infection. No obvious injury-that's why I brought him in, but he added that a pinhole prick from the tip of a claw wouldn't be seen very easily and could be the culprit.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin-

Good support for healing whenever you see a kitty with any conjunctivitis, is hot compressing and lubricating.

First compress the eye, then lubricate with Remend, Genteal, Systane or similar lubricating drops.

Do you think the Euphrasia is doing anything? On my end, it really doesn't seem like it is.

I'd therefore change remedies based on other changes from normal, e.g in skittishness, heat seeking, thirst, etc.

Give a 10/Q-Tip dose of your chosen remedy 2x/d as needed.

10/Q-Tip means 10 succussions of the cup you make, dip a Q-Tip into the cup, then touch the wet swab to the kitty's gums.

Alternatively, 1cc could be added to a few drops of milk and the kitty should drink it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom