• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Ticks / Small low to ground puppy

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Our puppy Cooper (Shichon) is quite low the ground, especially with the hair. Yesterday we took him for a nature walk in a preserve near us and when we came back we caught a couple ticks. Later than day we were washing him and found 2 more, incl. one underneath the collar.

Is there any safe thing we can spray on rhe dog as a repellant, much like there are tea-tree oil based sprays we put around our shoes? our own yard is treated for ticks with natural stuff but open preserves would love to have something on Cooper thats a repellant?

Looking at other posts, its clear we need to follow BEAM. From one post it seemed like even with tick bite if we dont change in BEAM, then its all good? So not all tick bites can cause issues - is that correct?

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Our puppy Cooper (Shichon) is quite low the ground, especially with the hair. Yesterday we took him for a nature walk in a preserve near us and when we came back we caught a couple ticks. Later than day we were washing him and found 2 more, incl. one underneath the collar.

Is there any safe thing we can spray on rhe dog as a repellant, much like there are tea-tree oil based sprays we put around our shoes? our own yard is treated for ticks with natural stuff but open preserves would love to have something on Cooper thats a repellant?

Looking at other posts, its clear we need to follow BEAM. From one post it seemed like even with tick bite if we dont change in BEAM, then its all good? So not all tick bites can cause issues - is that correct?
Also any homeopathic remedies we should have with us handy - Ledum? Anything else?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
That is correct Mike!

Thanks so much for asking this important question! ?

Regarding a more natural repellent, there are lots of different ones out there. Like tea tree, many of them are essential oils.

I love the oils blended by our friend Dr. Melissa Shelton of animalEO.

Earth Animal has some wonderful flea and tick repellants and a guide to their use on this page:

In addition, the nutritional yeast + garlic of Bug Off can work well:

Regarding whether a tick bite or other adverse environmental influence (AEI) triggers a response depends on:

1. susceptibility of the pet to the stressor

2. Virulence of the stress (a stronger influence is more likely to trigger a response)

3. The dose of the bug (or toxin, or other AEI)

The tick bite, and possible introduction of bacteria like that of Lyme, acts as a stressor to Cooper's inner equilibrium (balance).

The better his balance, the less likely that he will develop abnormal symptoms after any stressor.

Symptoms are excellent clues to what is happening internally.

The choice of a homeopathic medicine will be based on what symptom clues he develops (if any).

In lieu of any symptoms, Ledum is a good remedy to give after any puncture.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this super important topic.

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Just got the bug off garlic powder. I have read the instructions and its not clear how to administer. Sorry for my naïveté, but do I need to mix in his food? Thats what feels like is easiest way to administer?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, that was fast!

You can use them as a treat or crumble and sprinkle in food.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Mike!

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Couple of followup question. Again as first time dog parents some may sound too basic/naive.

1) When we found the ticks on Cooper (Bishon Shit-su), even after a whole day the ticks were still navigating through his hair. It almost felt like Coopers hair was a protection against ticks. Does hair act as a protectant against fleas/ticks?

2) We are cutting Coopers hair every 4 weeks as he gets quite hairy. As weather has gotten warmer it feels like he is more parched and pants when its warmer. Someone told us dog hair keeps them cool and others say dog hair coat does the opposite? What is it?

3) On a related note, these days we find Cooper is quite thirsty and he is drinking a lot more water (which is good I think). Except in the nights he wakes us up (which isnt fun). So we left a bowl of water in his sleep area and it worked well. But more generally some people say dont give dogs water late evenings/at night as they will need to wee more. Thoughts?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
1. Great question Mike! The answer depends on the individual.

In general, yes it can. However, ticks are usually experts at "diving in" and finding skin.

I was just on a tick biology webinar and learned that some ticks (that like to live on our scalp) can navigate from our feet to our head in 1-2 minutes!

2. Usually, their having a heavy coat is akin to us wearing a heavy coat in summer. So no, coat doesn't keep them cool tho it can help moderate the heat a bit. Coat can definitely insulate against feeeezing cold water in some dogs.

Perhaps just groom your pup as you were planning, and take the next few weeks to learn Cooper's individual heat tolerance.

3. Yes, it's usually good to restrict water late at night to prevent the need for overnight trips outside. Especially during the house-training period.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Also any homeopathic remedies we should have with us handy - Ledum? Anything else?
Dr. Jeff mentioned that Earth Animal has a bug spray. I have used it for YEARS, since about 2005 and never used any spot ons or chemical products. I still do use Earth Animal but they changed their formula a few years ago and I liked that one much better than the reformulated one. The current one, again I do use it, mats the fur and makes it all feel very stiff. The old spray did not do that at all. I also do not like the spray that comes with it as the pump is rather "cheap" and doesn't do well spraying my large dogs sufficiently to walk a woodline. I treat my yard with nematodes that help with all that and also started using products from cedarcide. Was considering using that one on my dogs (Cedarcide Original ) I think they also have something called Tick Shield which I have not tried yet. I spray the Earth Animal one on myself too.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
@PandaBear, do you have any additional context for us about the EA flea spray (or other products)?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom