• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Teeth

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Murphy (2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog) had his wellness check with our local vet. There is tarter build up on his back lower molars. Murphy eats a raw diet and gets raw marrow bones. I brush his teeth one or two times a week with coconut oil.
I have been following Dr Edward Bassingthwaighte, A holistic vet in Australia. His podcast this week was all about how every dog should get a sedated yearly cleaning. Thoughts?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Dana!

Have you tried holding a chicken or turkey neck by the sides of his mouth so he cn gnaw on it there (to help remove the tartar).

An anesthetic dental should be performed when needed, not routinely once/year.

Perhaps consider a non-anesthetic dental at:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
And maybe increase the brushing to daily in addition to Dr. Jeff's suggestion.

While most dogs on the diet you feed will have great teeth, a few have a weakness in the vital force resulting in more tarter.

Be sure to add that to your Master Symptom list and continue to track in your journal. It could be used as a symptom when looking for a homeopathic medicine in the future.

I agree with Dr. Jeff about yearly cleanings - not needed. Maybe try the bone holding and brushing for another 6 months and re-evaluate.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
And Kristen Leigh Bell in holistic aromatherapy for animals has a formula to use after dental to prevent tarter build up. Might remove mild tarter:

Pg 148
1 t vegetable glycerin
1/2 oz grain alcohol or vodka
1 t sulfated castor oil
7 oz distilled spring water
6 drops cardamom (elletaria cardamomum
4 drops coriander seed (coriandrum sativum
6 drops peppermie (mentha piperita
for more info on any of these ingredients - pick up her book.

Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'd look for some better-shaped bones. Marrow bones do not get chewed by back teeth, and in any case are too big and tough to clean well. Many slab fractures are caused by them as well. Try neck bones, as Dr. Jeff suggests, and also slabs of ribs from lamb or pork, etc. - two or more ribs together will be well-chewed. Smaller beef ribs are OK for such a big dog. Shoulder blades are softer bones; also necks from lamb, pork, etc. Oxtails left whole or in large pieces of more than one vertebra are great. Whole turkey carcasses - I don't feed the long leg or wing bones, as they can splinter. Whole chickens, though, are fine.
We have also had good results maintaining clean teeth with BioBrillant, a food-based tooth powder from InClover which is sprinkled on any "bowl" food.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Dana-

Just login at the member resource site then click the link that Aruna shared above.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom