• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Swollen muzzle and eyelids reaction to raw diet transition from kibble/ freshpet

RobinT

Registered
I substituted a quarter of the kibble with beef liver and chicken heart for both my 1 yr Mals (brothers). One loved it and ate it immediately but had a swollen muzzle/ eyelid reaction an 1hr later. The other one is more picky and less food driven but eventually he ate his bowl then threw up the kibble but not the raw food. I asked my trainer who feeds raw food diet to his own dogs what the procedure was. He just cuts it up and gives it to them. I think I did something wrong here. Maybe should have washed the raw food before giving it to them.

Is arsenicum album pellets dissolved in the gums the right remedy here? Also, introduce raw food every other day instead of daily?

RobinT

Registered
I substituted a quarter of the kibble with beef liver and chicken heart for both my 1 yr Mals (brothers). One loved it and ate it immediately but had a swollen muzzle/ eyelid reaction an 1hr later. The other one is more picky and less food driven but eventually he ate his bowl then threw up the kibble but not the raw food. I asked my trainer who feeds raw food diet to his own dogs what the procedure was. He just cuts it up and gives it to them. I think I did something wrong here. Maybe should have washed the raw food before giving it to them.

Is arsenicum album pellets dissolved in the gums the right remedy here? Also, introduce raw food every other day instead of daily?

Screenshot_20230723_220808_Gallery.jpg

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, I don't think this necessarily calls for a remedy.... I'd ditch the kibble, but feed something less intense than a lot of liver, at this juncture. How about a chicken quarter, or a carcass? Liver can often cause a reaction if fed suddenly and a lot...try giving a small piece of an ounce or two, until they become accustomed. Muscle meat, with some bone in it, will be easier to handle.

Don't be concerned about germs; a dog can knock back just about anything living on the meat. Perhaps you can find some pork spareribs or neckbones. A little "texture" in the form of bones should calm any sudden reaction - it wasn't an allergy or a germ, I believe, but just a shock from the concentrated meat.

First time I fed raw, I thought for sure I had just killed my dog - he thought it was just great:)

RobinT

Registered
Well, I don't think this necessarily calls for a remedy.... I'd ditch the kibble, but feed something less intense than a lot of liver, at this juncture. How about a chicken quarter, or a carcass? Liver can often cause a reaction if fed suddenly and a lot...try giving a small piece of an ounce or two, until they become accustomed. Muscle meat, with some bone in it, will be easier to handle.

Don't be concerned about germs; a dog can knock back just about anything living on the meat. Perhaps you can find some pork spareribs or neckbones. A little "texture" in the form of bones should calm any sudden reaction - it wasn't an allergy or a germ, I believe, but just a shock from the concentrated meat.

First time I fed raw, I thought for sure I had just killed my dog - he thought it was just great:)
I must've given them too much. I made them worse off than they were just on the kibble and freshpet. Oh boy. Ok No more liver. Also, I thought they can't have bones without risk of punctures anywhere along digestive tract. Which are examples of muscle meat with bone in? I thought muscle meat me a nt it has no bones like organs.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first posts.

You're doing great with introducing the raw food. Adding vitality and energy to their diet and lives will help their bodies do the best job possible.
Is arsenicum album pellets dissolved in the gums the right remedy here?
It could be, but as Ginny wrote, a remedy is often not needed to help restore balance. Especially if their bodies are already doing this on their own. Here's a bit more able this model based on vitality and balance:

Also, introduce raw food every other day instead of daily?
Yes, that's one excellent strategy! And you could start by offering smaller amounts at each meal.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to read through the HA! 101 course and food resources.

We're here to support your journey...

RobinT

Registered
Hey Robin!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first posts.

You're doing great with introducing the raw food. Adding vitality and energy to their diet and lives will help their bodies do the best job possible.

It could be, but as Ginny wrote, a remedy is often not needed to help restore balance. Especially if their bodies are already doing this on their own. Here's a bit more able this model based on vitality and balance:

Yes, that's one excellent strategy! And you could start by offering smaller amounts at each meal.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to read through the HA! 101 course and food resources.

We're here to support your journey...

Thank you Dr Jeff for putting this community together and it affordable. I will open the HA 101 course tonight. The swollen muzzle and eyelids has completely corrected overnight. Thank goodness ??

It's the 2nd day and they haven't had any raw food since their first day yesterday but both still have vomitting on their regular food today. How long should that last before they need to be seen by vet?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Robin!

Getting the word out by keeping HA! affordable is super important to all of us.
How long should that last before they need to be seen by vet?
Great question! My reply is based on changes in BEAM or if there is repeated vomiting or difficulty breathing.

If BEAM suddenly drops (no matter what else is going on) or if there is respiratory or repeated vomiting, you should contact your vet right away.

If the symptoms are like you saw and without a change of BEAM, it's still worth a call to the vet office but they may advise for you to wait 1-2 days before coming in.

RobinT

Registered
YW Robin!

Getting the word out by keeping HA! affordable is super important to all of us.

Great question! My reply is based on changes in BEAM or if there is repeated vomiting or difficulty breathing.

If BEAM suddenly drops (no matter what else is going on) or if there is respiratory or repeated vomiting, you should contact your vet right away.

If the symptoms are like you saw and without a change of BEAM, it's still worth a call to the vet office but they may advise for you to wait 1-2 days before coming in.
? Yes! I gave them boiled chicken with broth and the vomiting passed. Thankfully! No more scary liver, refer to the HA! 101 course, and use more digestible raw meat in smaller amounts every other day next time. I think I've got it Doc ?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom