• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Surgery during a dog's heat cycle

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Just a quick question.... Blossom's typical pattern for her heat cycle is June and December. If she has her surgery in June, is there any reason why she shouldn't have it during a heat? She is not showing signs as of yet. Reason I ask is because I recall watching some of the webinars on vaccines it was advised to not give dogs vaccines during their heat cycle. I can't recall why but I think I wrote it down somewhere. Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
If she has her surgery in June, is there any reason why she shouldn't have it during a heat?
Great question Lil!

Part of the reason is that adding two stressors at one time is not ideal. And vaccination is not something that ever needs to accompany another stressor.

In this case however I think having her knee done sooner than later may be the best plan (even if it coincides with her heat).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom