• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Tiredness in unspayed dog

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom was in heat beginning in mid December. So currently is she in the progesterone phase which could be making her a bit tired. I see no other symptoms of pyometra. If we go for a walk sometimes she puffs out her cheeks some when walking. Today soon as we got home she laid in the hallway instead of walking into the house. She often walks slowly for a dog her age--between 2 and 4--but other times she is peppy. I do think I need to cut down on the treats. Since I am trying to mitigate anxiety when leaving, I fill up the snuffle mat a couple times and then she has little treats during the day like goat milk, kefir and small bison bites when she rides in the car. A dog her age should have a lot of zip in her step which she doesn't always have. I am trying to notice a pattern. Wonder if the Seaweed Calcium I give her is too much--a teaspoon most days. I don't know if calcium causes fatigue if it is not balanced. I also have trouble understanding the Seaweed Calcium label (animal essentials) They give these "percentages" instead of mgs. For example 89 percent ash. I thought I recall ash is to be avoided in foods. Thought it stresses the kidneys but just going from memory. So I guess I wonder if the heat cycle, I think it is the progesterone cycle, is still affecting her mojo. I know progesterone always made me tired. Thanks for any input or guidance!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wonder if the Seaweed Calcium I give her is too much--a teaspoon most days.
Personally I doubt whether this or her progesterone is decreasing her BEAM and stamina. However her weight may be an issue (too many treats)?

What does your vet say about her weight?

Is she being treated by a vet homeopath yet?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, she had only gained ONE pound since her adoption the end of September, so that is 4 months of eating what I consider too much and only gained one pound. She is NOT exercising a lot everyday, and only maybe a couple walks up the street which is only about 15 minutes each time. Not treating anything homeopathically but maybe I should. I never had a dog who wasn't energetic EVERY day at her age. She was vaxed end of September so maybe even that is having a delayed effect. I did not want to think I had issues already to have to deal with. Maybe toxins... I never wash her paws like I did the other dogs after each walk and she has not had a bath yet from her prior life. WHY? she was a bit skittish when the weather was warm enough to bathe her in October outside and I found she did not seem to like rain. I now wipe her paws but they need a good cleaning. She seems to fall over when I try and do her back paws and she doesn't like that either but front paws are ok to do. I am probably fostering a couch potato because I have become one :) going to bed again after taking her out in the mornings. With the other dogs I took them for a morning walk and made sure they got morning and afternoon sun. They also were driven to walk 40 minutes someplace. I am still worn out from care of the prior dogs. I did drive her somewhere for a walk twice over last weekend, the first time she was super energetic and the second time, not so much when we went to the same place. I will monitor the situation and I have already started to not fill the snuffle mat today when I went out.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Not treating anything homeopathically but maybe I should
Yes! It sounds like time to start up with a trained vet homeopath.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom