• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Recurring mammary tumor, other health conditions, low BEAM, looking for support

Joanne

Community Member
Registered
1. Your pet's name: Betty
2. Approximate age: 14
3. Sex: Female
4. Neutering status: Spayed (later in life; she was a rescue)
5. Breed: Chihuahua mix
6. Approximate weight: 15 lbs.
7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood): Low, and progressively getting lower
8. Diet: Small Batch Dog freeze-dried raw turkey or beef, or whatever she will eat (she has been picky about food, so I give a variety of things to get her to eat)
9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: She has had rabies and presumably other vaccines in her lifetime before coming to me; no vaccines in the last several years. She is currently taking Vetmedin for her heart disease and a wide variety of supplements (all items attached).
10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time: This began around September of last year and at that time the only symptom Betty really had was pickiness around food. Her appetite was fairly low, and she would "graze" when given her dinner. I can't recall a particular event that took place around that time that may have set this in motion. She had exploratory tests and examinations, and it was discovered that she has Cushing's disease. This is on top of the heart disease she had and cancer (she had a stage 3 mammary tumor removed in October 2022 and had been clear until recently when a new tumor was discovered at the back of the mammary chain). The current problem today is the tumor recurrence and her low BEAM.
11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc.?
She is actually a bit better at night--more energetic, eats a little better, wants to be social with the rest of the dogs and the family. During the day she is rather sleepy and not very interested in much else.
12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them.) Yes, lots! :) She was diagnosed with Cushing's disease (no treatment prescribed because she is not showing Cushing's symptoms) and at a recent vet visit to examine the tumor, likely recurrence of the mammary cancer. She has also had a heart murmur and heart condition requiring Vetmedin for some time. Her T4 was a bit low at one juncture, but we had the MSU thyroid panel done, and it is believed to be secondary to another condition (maybe the Cushing's?).
13. Current and previous treatment. Treatment mostly with the Vetmedin for heart and other supplements for heart, cancer, Cushing's, and general health support. The attached is a list of all of the current items she takes. This has changed a bit from last fall, and I can provide what she was taking then if needed for comparison.
14. Other health concerns. We just want to support her as best we can, especially with the presumed mammary cancer, which sprang back up again quickly. And to get her BEAM back up and get her feeling more like herself again. Thank you!

@Dr. Jeff We (my daughter and I) have a call scheduled with you tomorrow (April 1) to discuss Betty. Her medical records and medicine/supplement list are attached here if you'd like some context before the call. Posted here also for the benefit of the group/discussion. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• MSU Thyroid Panel Results.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 1
  • Betty DiDonato Supplements as of March 29 2024.pdf
    943.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Betty DiDonato Medical Records and Notes.pdf
    632 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Thank you so much, Joanne, for allyour work with Betty.
Since you have an appointment (I assume a full intake, not merely a 15 minute call), I will give you merely some hopeful general guidance.

First, focus on happiness - whatever makes Betty happy. A couple in New Mexico rescues old and ill Chihuahuas, limiting the number to how many they can SLOWLY PET - for at least 8 minutes (stimulates oxytocin - the feel good hormone). www.RanchoChihuahua.com The ones who have enough energy go on 4-5 mile hikes in the mountains.The weak ones go on several hour long slow sniff walks.

Encourage sniffing - multiple ways we discuss.

Focus on your thoughts - keeping positive intentions.

In addition to working with a homeopathic veterinarian (Dr. Jeff), maybe add an intuitive into your team. Sometimes they can suggest something to improve happiness and energy.

Learn one of the energy healing methods we have covered in many of the webinars. Maybe Dr. Bengston's the Energy Cure since it has had great results with tumors, would be a good one with which to begin.

Minimize the number of supplements, as too many can stress the system.

You may be helped by downloading the Healthy Dog Journal and assembling it. Creating the timeline discussed in the journal will prepare you well for your intake with Dr. Jeff and using the master symptom list along with understanding cure, palliation and suppression will make you feel more secure with evaluating any changes.

Know that all healing is possible, especially improved quality of life and happiness.Patience and persistence are key.

Good healing,
Dr. Christina

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Joanne!

Welcome to HA!, and thanks for making your first post.

I'm super sorry to hear about Betty's low BEAM and health challenges. :confused: :dog2:?

As Dr. Christina said, IMHO the most effective strategy at this point is to focus on what used to bring her the most joy. Perhaps a special treat, a specific way of petting her, a car ride, a Therapeutic Sniff Walks, etc.

Even just being outside to harness healing earth energy will help.

Yes, yes and yes to watching Steven Kotler's talk about the strategies they use to optimize health span at Rancho de Chihuahua hospice. You'll find the talk in the Sacred Paws summit videos (it was on Friday).

Prior to our HMDM 15 minute call tomorrow, and if you have time, perhaps also take a look at these resources about the general approach of a Positive and Practical Veterinary Spirituality:

BTW-Dr. Stone's workup and records are fantastic! Yes, sick thyroid syndrome is the likely cause of the low t4 and early Cushing's is possible.

However, the diagnostic labels of symptoms, dis-eases and diagnoses are just a fraction of the bigger picture.

I look forward to our chat tomorrow.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hello again Joanne,
Since it is just a 15 minute call with Dr. Jeff and not a formal homeopathic intake, I want to underline what he will probably suggest - when there are this many physical problems your best chance for improved quality of life, longevity and maybe even resolution of many symptoms is a homeopathic or well trained Chinese Medicine veterinarian managing Betty's care.

Go to the article on finding and working with a holistic veterinarian, even if Dr. Jeff gives you the name of a local one, as there is a lot to learn about working with the holistic approaches. You are still Betty's ambassador and need to understand what is being suggested.

Dr. Christina

Joanne

Community Member
Registered
Many thanks to all for your responses! We will check out all of the resources you suggested ASAP. Regarding a full intake, we are definitely interested (we just didn't see an option for that). Perhaps we can discuss that today on our 15-minute call, Dr. Jeff? Thanks again and look forward to speaking with you later today.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Joanne!

Yes, we will discuss homeopathy and lots of other stuff!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom