• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Started Young Dog on Raw Diet

JacquelineN

Community Member
Registered
Hello, we finally started Sophie on raw food. We were advised by the owner of the health food store to gradually introduce it, so we’re in the process of weaning her from a high quality kibble, which I know that sounds like an oxymoron….Anyway, we have noticed some more energy in Sophie, and an interesting #not so interesting behavior, is that she just loves to come and lick me after she has eaten. I’ve written a post before about my anxiety about germs, and I’m getting to a better place with the raw, and not freaking out each time Sophie comes running to me after she’s eaten so that’s good!! One thing I have noticed, and have no idea if this would be coincidence or not but it seems like she’s put on weight in the last two weeks since starting the OC Raw Lamb…..Granted we are cutting down kibble at the same time so maybe inadvertently over feeding, but not according to the guide on each package. One question I have is since I am home for a couple of hours at lunch and can feed and take Sophie out, should she still get fed three times a day? We never did this for our last two dogs, but wonder what is optimal? Sophie is 7 months and the last time we weighed her (a few weeks ago) she was about 50 lbs….her BEAM is really good, in my opinion. Thanks for any advice about this.

image.jpg

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, firstly, ditch the kibble. It provides little of any good, and that will be abundantly supplied by a proper raw diet. There is no need to "transition"; a dog's enzyme production will quickly respond to the biologically appropriate diet.

In addition, you should work towards feeding once a day, as she matures. The space in between meals - and this is true of humans as well - is important, to stimulate cellular functions like growth and repair. Both dogs and humans are not built to eat often; in fact, not even every day. This constant eating is an artifact of an overabundant society; it just never happens in these species, nor should it. You may feed at varying times, too - perhaps vary dinner time by a couple of hours, or feed the big meal at midday - or skip dinner and feed something tiny, like an egg or bony piece. Oh, and, short of really "dirty' pieces, don't fear handling raw meats; just use normal precautions like not tracking blood around the kitchen. You and the dogs have natural protection against microbes. Ask anything else you need.

JacquelineN

Community Member
Registered
Thank you, Ginny….I have followed an intermittent fasting diet myself for quite some time, didn’t realize that it would make sense for Sophie, too. I appreciate your advice on getting rid of the kibble, and not worrying about “germs.” I really appreciate it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom