• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Slab fracture/remove tooth or treat mouth

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
I have a twelve year old Saluki who does not eat much raw anymore (she does better on/prefers cooked), so her teeth are not white like her comrades'. I give her occasional bones to clean her teeth on and she slab fractured a molar. I have had this happen with the Salukis before and have been able to avoid surgery by spraying and wiping the teeth, and anesthesia free dentals (which I am also curious about what you think on those...as I have had clients whose dogs did very poorly after years of those dentals, eventually having to have all their teeth pulled out because of infections under the gumline...)
This dog will not let me in her mouth to spray/clean (never has), so I put her on Vibactra Plus (because gums very red so I am thinking some infection present), and have vet appointment to discuss dental and options this Wednesday.

Was wondering what others have done and if this is a good case for a homeopathic consult; Dr Christina certainly helped me avoid a dental with a dog years ago (oregon grape extract and homeopthy and ozone on the gums of that tooth), but that dog was compliant about having mouth handled.

This dog has a heart murmur and I am not wild about anesthesizing but can't let her live with dirty teeth.

There are some products out there like Plaque Off, and water additives, which seem like they could be alternatives to having to go into her mouth and maintain the teeth by hand...was wondering if anyone had experience with them. I also heard that Plaque Off can affect the thyroid.

Any word on this subject is welcome.

Many thanks, Cassandra

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wonderful questions, Cassandra!

Yes, the vet evaluation is a great idea. The main reason, IMHO, that NADs (non-anesthetic dentals) can be a problem would be if the guardian doesn't also get occasional vet mouth exams.

Dr. Kangas and the webinars about NAD did a great job sharing info about this during last year's dental month.

You can find them in the resources when you log in at the main site.

Vibactra Plus is a great choice for immune support. In fact, I'm about to order more (+ PERITAN FP) for Archie per @dr_ judy herman's protocol that she will share during TBD and Lyme month and April.

Plaque Off kelp is great but yes, the iodine can theoretically affect (and stimulate) the thyroid.

Here's the same seaweed species as Plaque Off at a fraction of the price:

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Cassandra,
The Veterinary Oral Health Council
evaluates dental products for efficacy. Some of them have ingredients that I wouldn't recommend!

Of the water additives, HealthyMouth has high quality ingredients and does help. Dogs eating wet food do not drink as much, so it will not be quite as effective.

I currently use ProDen PlaqueOff on the food, and it definitely helps; clients also report improvement.

My dog allows me to brush her teeth with coconut oil, mixed with AnimalEO Dog Breath at the ratio of 1 tablespoon coconut oil to 15 drops of Dog Breath. Your Saluki does not like having her mouth handled. Perhaps she would be interested in some of this combination on your finger. Over time you might be able to wipe it on her gums. Patients seem to like the taste. To me it is not unpleasant, and it feels good if I have bitten my cheek. (Yes, I try everything the dogs get.)

In my experience, it is unlikely that a dog that does not allow brushing or touching of the mouth while awake is going to permit non-sedation scaling of their teeth. The area of a slab fracture can be quite sensitive, so that is another concern, though you may not have been considering non-sedation procedure for this girl.
Non-sedation dentistry can be helpful, as long as the personnel performing it are gentle, and well trained to recognise when a dog needs x-rays and sedation procedures.
Stay well,
Dr. Sara

Last edited:

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
All good ideas, but they depend on intact dentin, if not enamel. If the fracture goes through both and is exposing the pulp, where the nerve runs, then there is no choice but to remove the tooth. It's not a matter cleanliness, it's a matter of pain and infection that can go straight into the bone. This happened to my elderly dog, and I was mortified that I didn't catch it earlier. The fracture was due to my ignorantly leaving raw bones out in the sun for days, where they hardened into virtual concrete--yikes! (Note to self: don't do that!) He felt SO much better without it. Anesthesia done right, with appropriate monitoring and fluids, is not as dangerous as people think, and is far better than leaving an open, painful, tooth abscess.

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Thank you all. I had Samarah's tooth evaluated and she is scheduled for a dental to have the tooth removed...provided her echo shows she is okay for the anesthesia (she has a grade 2/3 murmur). Her blood work also revealed Lymes disease infection (not just exposure) so she will be on doxycycline for a month; hopefully that won't affect her being able to safely have surgery.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom