• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Routine bloodwork shows high levels brought on by stress?

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
HI, I just had a routine wellness/bloodwork one for a 5.5 year old Saluki and it came out high on the RBC (9.5), Hematocrit (58.7), Reticulocytes (145) and Hemoglobin (21.4). Dog had two marrow bones the night before the bloodwork (about twelve hours before. Vet said this is normal and of no concern and that it was likely brought on by stress. She was also about to come into season. I do not have a recent baseline as Iactually had not had bloodwork done on her in the past few years (was focusing on the older guys and she would just get chiro and seen by house call vet but without bloodwork).

Could the marrow bones have played a role? Or stress? Or could this just be her normal?

Maybe redo the bloodwork in a few months, or away from the heat cycle, or at least away fro marrow bones?

Thank you

Attachments

• libi_kraham_lab_2020_02_02.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 0

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Sighthounds such as greyhounds and Salukis often have a higher RBC count than normal, which will result in a higher Hct and Hgb. I would not be concerned about this, though it is useful to know for a baseline level.
Stress can also increase the RBC count, so you have two possible causes.
The marrow bone should not have had anything to do with this, and it is unlikely the upcoming season did either.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom