• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

High Potassium but not Addisons

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom had an ACTH test friday (pre ACTH stim was 2.8 and Post was 7.4) and she does not have Addisons. 4 vets thought she had early Addisons. Dr. Jeff WAS right, It IS the great pretender I guess..... So what other disease is this mimicking? The vet does not know why her potassium is high. We need help figuring this out. I have done some research and see the sodium potassium pump in the kidneys perform this metabolic action. Blossom's kidney function is normal on bloodwork although her Creatinine has been fluctuating since April from 1.2 to 1.4 close to the top of the range. I don't know if you look at values in the way of WHERE they are on the graph. One holistic vet said a long time ago blood values should be median and if they are not he would supplement before symptoms emerge (or in your case you probably would use homeopathy in lieu of supplements) Well Blossom as I said all along for 9 months since I got her has something going on. Talked to Dr. Cooney before the ACTH test, and he did agree she probably does have vaccinosis vindicating me. He is sending me a remedy or two. Will try the first and go to the second depending on the effects of the first one. Also will use Adrenal Support from Standard Process. Things may be more entrenched now (my opinion) because it festered without treatment for almost a year to reverse effects. She had symptoms all along, the slow walking and cheek puffing but the frequency was the only thing that changed from intermittent to chronic. But I KNEW it had to be the vaccines.
I do want to know if I should reduce potassium in her diet. I know my vet said the body is supposed to balance the Na:K ratio but maybe she cannot do that. I read articles in humans they suggest limiting potassium foods. I feed a lot of squash and pumpkin. Also other treatments involve sodium bicarbonate, insulin, glucose and calcium per my readings. I also read a higher carb diet would push potassium into the intracellular spaces and out of the blood. I am looking for disagreement or agreement with what I am posting also. I have to do something empirically to see if anything works. I don't know if the aforementioned above, i.e. insulin, glucose , calcium and sodium bicarb can be done only in IV or can it be done orally?
The vet asked if I wanted anything else added to the bloodwork which the lab still has. Do I? Any suggestions? I was going to repeat the CBC even though it was done 10 days earlier (she still has the high RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin) Do I need to know the blood aldosterone which regulates the potassium ratio? I thought this would be important. Can the lab do a blood PH to see if she has acidosis (in which case sodium bicarbonate might work?)
I do not want to use the homeopathy as the only therapy since I have been doing this for several months and nothing has changed, nothing.... which is why I switched homeopaths. My vet did an EKG, blood pressure, listened to her heart and all was ok now but things could change I understand if the potassium is rising slowly. My vet and I are talking tomorrow and he doesn't know what to do. He knows I am a big researcher (actually he has 2 Dr's after his name too) and have the assistance here so I would be grateful if you have thoughts so I can embark on a deeper dive. I cannot get her for an ultrasound. My vet here is 10 min away and Blossom is very nervous in the car so cannot go an hour away still but working on it. I was hoping if she had addisons it would explain her poor stress management and it would be corrected with physiological doses of the corticosteroid they use. But I guess that is not the reason for her stress responses. Is there a way to keep track of her potassium much like a diabetic takes readings. I also read hyperkalemia affects the blood's ability to flow normally---i.e. thick blood I guess. I previously thought she had thick blood from the over abundance of RBC. So polycythemia is still on the table, the high potassium but not addisons. Thanks.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
So many challenges, Lil.

1. I would carefully evaluate ALL symptoms after the first prescribed remedy, and give it time to work. Remember it is readjusting the vital force so natural healing can happen. I would also double check with Dr. Cooney before giving the 2nd remedy as you may get too impatient and not let the first one work.

2. I would not decrease the potassium in the diet at this point.

3. What energy healing are you doing?

Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
So many challenges, Lil.

1. I would carefully evaluate ALL symptoms after the first prescribed remedy, and give it time to work. Remember it is readjusting the vital force so natural healing can happen. I would also double check with Dr. Cooney before giving the 2nd remedy as you may get too impatient and not let the first one work.

2. I would not decrease the potassium in the diet at this point.

3. What energy healing are you doing?

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina---- You know me!! I had to laugh when you said I may get too impatient..... Not one of my virtues. He did say, and I do not have the final instructions yet. but he said gove one dose and wait a week... He was not talking about using 2 remedies same time, just I guess the next option. He thought to try silica first and then is also sending Nat Mur 200C

Energy healing--I pet her a lot.... Oh this is interesting---she was a good girl at the Vets. At one point she was a bit nervous but I remember from some learning someplace there is a spot below the head on upper back to rub. So I did and she REALLY calmed down. If you have a link for other options. I did try the energy healing Marcia Zais did, I forgot the name of that--hammering the doll----I don't know how long to pursue these kinds of options as they are expensive, before you know if they work. I think I also saw something called Effluerage which I tried too. Not sure if that is energy but she did like it. She likes her hind quarters petted, wildly wagging her tail. I am open to things but don't want her going down hill and feel she needs some intervention to her food. I wonder if some supplements I give like chlorella, seaweed calcium or the Catalyn might have additional potassium.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Christina---- You know me!! I had to laugh when you said I may get too impatient..... Not one of my virtues. He did say, and I do not have the final instructions yet. but he said gove one dose and wait a week... He was not talking about using 2 remedies same time, just I guess the next option. He thought to try silica first and then is also sending Nat Mur 200C

Energy healing--I pet her a lot.... Oh this is interesting---she was a good girl at the Vets. At one point she was a bit nervous but I remember from some learning someplace there is a spot below the head on upper back to rub. So I did and she REALLY calmed down. If you have a link for other options. I did try the energy healing Marcia Zais did, I forgot the name of that--hammering the doll----I don't know how long to pursue these kinds of options as they are expensive, before you know if they work. I think I also saw something called Effluerage which I tried too. Not sure if that is energy but she did like it. She likes her hind quarters petted, wildly wagging her tail. I am open to things but don't want her going down hill and feel she needs some intervention to her food. I wonder if some supplements I give like chlorella, seaweed calcium or the Catalyn might have additional potassium.
@Dr. Christina one more thing. I read the causes of high potassium are kidney disease which she does not have or cancer. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to do one of those cancer blood tests offered by VDI or Texas A&M. These are tools I was going to FW to my vet a while back. He likes when I show him stuff he doesn't know about that he can use. I know you interviewed the guy from VDI. I don't know which place would have the best test if you thought I should do it. I know Texas has a pretty accurate Hemangiosarcoma test, about 82 percent I think

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
what other disease is this mimicking?
Ah, I'm so glad that you asked Lil! IMHO Blossom has the MUS syndrome ("Medically Unexplained Symptoms"-yes, that' a real thing!) due to an energetic entanglement.

Energetic smoothing techniques that activate the parasympathetic nervous system, like The Therapeutic Sniff Walk (while you have an Awe Walk), Happy Meals/Snacks, etc. are where you may want to focus.

I do want to know if I should reduce potassium in her diet
I agree with Dr. Christina.
The vet asked if I wanted anything else added to the bloodwork which the lab still has. Do I?
Only if you'd prefer to spend more money on diagnostics.
Do I need to know the blood aldosterone which regulates the potassium ratio?
Sure (for much more $$). Personally tho, I wouldn't.
Can the lab do a blood PH to see if she has acidosis
Arterial blood is most accurate for this and an arterial blood draw is not common vet practice (except in the ER and referral hospital). The venous CO2 that used to be on some panels was a rough indicator of this but was not particularly useful or accurate.

BTW-I love your deep questions Lil!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The energy healing techniques are not expensive, Lil.
do go back to listen to those webinars.
tong Ren is the one with a doll, but for most you need buy nothing (Eden Energy and tellington t touch have lots of free you tubes).
Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff So it sounds like the AWE walk is like Forest Bathing... I do that myself on a local trail. It is mind clearing. Now I have to GET Blossom to an AWEsome place. The only places near is a park we go to on the way to the vet and a school with not so much nature. I had more options with my other dogs that would ride in the car. But will see what we can do. I love youtube so will try the TTouch. I still think it helps to rule out a cancer through blood work until I can do the ultrasound. I can't wait to start her new remedy when it comes. I don't think my vet will buy into any of the energy stuff. I think he could be frustrated with me, he suggested an xray a couple months ago which I have avoided. But I feel conflicted. There must be a continuum in how much integrative medicine doctors who are holistic etc.... use. Some still want an ultrasound and xray and others say not needed. I prefer the not needed idea. All I can say is we will see how she does with some of these things. She does like to go outside but admittedly things are boring because she won't ride to get to the more exciting place. She does love meal time because she gets a little piece of meat or two before her main meal. Maybe I will play the find and fetch game with some treats when I throw them around the house or call her name and hide for her to find me like I did with another dog till she went stone cold deaf.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
One other thought Lil...

I just did a PPVS conference recording with Carol Komitor. She is the founder of a wonderful energy balancing technique called Healing Touch for Animals (HTA).

Carol does many virtual sessions that work by bridging their energy flow. She helps both us (I have worked privately with Carol) and our pets to help them "Go With The Flow" to reduce abnormal internal and external symptoms.

Blossom popped into my head when I was speaking with Carol, and you may want to consider scheduling a session:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I did forget to mention her BEAM, she is clingy and seems to be always near me. From the past dogs, this has always been a bellwether to some problem undiagnosed. Now her respiration is a little faster. My house is hotter than normally but not THAT hot due to broken AC. I guess after thinking a bit more about this and reading some other posts about various things, People seem to be using dietary changes with their pet's challenge, ALONG WITH the walks, homeopathy even, etc....They are using supplements and also modalities from holistic oncologists. The two homeopaths I worked with so far even recommended glandulars for her. One recommended testing with ultrasound. So I am more of a moderate... the walks etc... are a large part of things but not a total cure. I do believe in Blossom's case her body does not handle the process of balancing the sodium and potassium and she may need help like the sodium bicarbonate to help her WHILE she is doing all these other good things. In reading Pub Med and other articles it is suggested potassium be reduced as it may be overloading the body. It is like a person whose leg does not work right and needs a medical device. I don't think total healing or the person's ability to ambulate would improve by visualizing that it does. I believe in visualization but not for total healing. Those cases are rare or nonexistent. So I have to review where she is getting additional potassium and institute some food changes to accomodate her current status so she doesn't go into cardiac failure or shock. I know the potassium intake is not the primary cause. She will get the walks and opportunities for increased happiness but change does not happen overnight and I don't want to be naive and let her go into a crisis. Again, I have always been integrative. I think it is a slippery slope to not make modifications. She hasn't gotten any better and now that I know hyperkalemia affects the ability of her blood to flow normally it seems to be consistent with her tiredness. Her level is 5.9 and the upper cut off is 5.4 so I don't know if that is enough to cause these symptoms. Either that or her polycythemia is affecting her too. Having a diagnosis would help me monitor her for any signs of emergency of that medical problem and respond accordingly versus playing a game with her and hoping the emergency goes away as a result. I'm consulting with my old stand by Smith Ridge in 10 days so we can use some modifications along with the homeopathy she will be getting.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom really does need an ultrasound. I can't ignore data that needs to be gotten. I do not believe that anything will change with simply raising her happiness factor. I DO believe that a more integrative approach AND the happiness strongly improves her ability to heal without any doubt at all. Dogs hide how they are feeling and I do see Blossom struggling with the walks even more after her vet visit and testing last friday, and she seems depressed. A couple other doctors who have seen vaccinosis over their careers do feel she has vaccinosis and suggested treating her for that. I am going to use the homeopathics with hope and expectation for sure but she still needs an ultrasound and I have to somehow get her there. That is my next step. I need a name for what is going on. I gave one remedy 3 months to work with the first homeopath and it is time to move forward. I don't think this is a decision of impatience in this case. Waiting means the risk of the dog going further downhill if the right remedy was not selected. I can't wait for that to happen. I have to say I did nothing with another dog JJ hoping homeopathy would extend his life and it didn't at all. So I am following my gut which is what I do... she is getting an ultrasound one way or the other and get a diagnosis.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom