• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Broken and worn canine teeth on left side

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I took Blossom (4-5 years old) to a new vet who looked in her mouth and reported broken and worn canine teeth on left side. She has seen 3 vets in the past and nobody mentioned this so probably unlikely that she had these on adoption in September of 2022? I would assume any vet would notice this. It begs the question as to how this happened---she likes to ride in the front seat and wonder if a quick stop hitting her face on the dashboard may have caused this? She insists on standing out the window while driving. I know it is not a good idea so no lectures :) I gave her some rib bones many months ago but she has seen vets since then (but according to a post I read by Dr. Hovfe rib bones are not ideal and never fed them to any of my other dogs who never had a broken tooth---I gave all the former dogs knuckle bones and their teeth were shiny clean afterwards and no breakage. The rib bones seemed awfully hard though and I would NEVER feed them again.
My question is do dogs still chew bones with broken teeth. I have no other way to clean them other than brushing and that is not something I want to do . She does not drink any water at all so putting something in her water like I read in another posting will not work for Blossom in her case. I want her to chew bones. she hasn't been real interested in them a few months ago but I am disappointed about the teeth. My JJ who passed away in 2022 had broken teeth all his life but he only had one abscess in his lifetime. I did brush his teeth because he was so good for it. I think his hoarding situation he came from had him chewing rocks or cages. At any rate, have people fed their dogs bones after a tooth has been broken. The vet mentioned removal but I thought that was extreme. As I said JJ lived a life with broken teeth and had full enjoyment of his food. Do not want to rob a dog of teeth to not be able to chew and enjoy her food.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil!
My question is do dogs still chew bones with broken teeth.
Yes!!

BTW-New wearing of the teeth can also be a clue to the underlying energetic imbalance. Is she currently being treated homeopathically?

For example, here's an example from the repertory with 28 remedies that may apply to the tooth wearing.

TEETH - CRUMBLING: (28) anan. ant-c.arg-n.,bg2 aur.bg2 bell.bg2 borx.b4a.de,bg1,bg2,k,vh,vh/dg,vhx2 Calc.k Calc-f.k,mrr1 Calc-p.bg2,k crot-h.bg1 epig.vh Euph.b4a.de,bg2,k,ptk1 Fl-ac.k Kreos.bg1,bro1,vh,vh/dg,vhx1 Lach.b7.de,b7a.de,bg2,k med.k,ptk1 merc.bro1 phos-h.bro1,c2 plan.ptk1 PLB.b7.de,b7a.de,bg2,k rutafd4.de Sabad.b7.de,bg1,bg2 sec.bg2 spig.bg1,bg2 Staph.b7.de,b7a.de,bg2,bro1,k,mrr1,mtf33,ptk1 sul-ac.a1,bg2,k syph.bro1 Thuj.b4a.de,bg2,bro1,k,mtf33,ptk1

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I spoke with the homeopath the third week of January just to update since her OSS surgery Oct 30th.The only thing I was reporting was some periodic diarrhea and more excitement in the car along with some tiredness walking outside that I was wondering if it was due to the progesterone part of her cycle. I did not know until last thursday of her teeth issue which I was shocked to find out. The homeopath gave a remedy Arsenicum Album 200c to give weekly for a month and decrease frequency if improving or change remedy to Nitric ac. 200c if no better from Arsenicum. He mentioned a constitutional remedy but I don't know if these two are constitutional. I will text him and let him know of the tooth issue. I wonder could she be lacking minerals/calcium. I do not give additional calcium to her raw Steve's food twice a day to which I add homecooked toppings for more flavor. Could she need remineralization of her teeth. Actually I ask because for humans I found a toothpaste that does remineralize teeth since my conventional dentist only had conventional "treatments" and not "fixes." I think it is wonderful when we can find natural things to address our own issues that dentists or doctors won't tell you. I was listening and learning to a podcast (human one) and learned of this and it really does work---Not to get off topic but what about something missing in Blossom's diet to strengthen her teeth?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Could she need remineralization of her teeth
Probably not. She is getting what she needs in the Steve's.

Maybe you can brush her teeth with this toothpaste ;) (tho many toothpastes nowadays contain xylitol which is toxic for dogs).

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Who is your homeopath?
I would suggest a follow up appointment before changing a remedy.
Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Homeopath is Dr. Todd. So I have not started the arsenicum yet (bad me--late to the party). Should I wait and text him first? She has some tartar too--- I don't mind having these homeopathic remedies here even if I don't use it in this case. After Blossom had her surgery, he gave me Arnica 10 M which I have used on myself a couple times!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom