• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Reba cat swallowed dental floss

BarbR

VIP Member
Community Member
Registered
Reba is an 11 year old domestic short hair. She has an obsessive/compulsive behavior of chewing on strings -- picking them out of quilting or hems if she can't find one dangling already. This morning I found an empty dental floss package. I used the floss last night and know that there was at least a yard of it left when I put it down. I've never seen her get on the sink to poke around, and I hadn't put it into the drawer. Apparently she did get up there last night.

This morning she isn't eating well, but this is not unusual for her. She has irritable bowel issues and her appetite is not consistent. She didn't eat well last night either. She has not vomited and is cheerful so far.

Is there something I can give her to help this floss slide through without tangling or creating a blockage? Her primary food is reconstituted dehydrated raw (Stella & Chewy's), but I probably could get her to eat some canned. She's off the fresh frozen raw at the moment -- consistently refusing -- but I could try it if it would be better for a rapid, safe passage.

Should I plan on taking her to the vet in the morning for an X-ray or something, or wait until a symptom manifests?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oy, sorry to hear about Reba's possible dental floss. ingestion. Was the floss coated (to slide better)?

Small amounts of her usual food every 2-4 hours can help keep her peristaltic action going to move anything along.

Will she lick up some coconut oil?
She has not vomited and is cheerful so far.
That's a great sign! If this continues and she eats small amounts frequently hopefully that will help her dodge the linear foreign body bullet.

If she seems off tho, a vet exam and upper GI x-ray may be indicated.

BarbR

VIP Member
Community Member
Registered
Yes, the floss was coated but some of the coating is of questionable content. Ingredients: Virgin Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax, Peppermint Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Erythritol, Soft Nylon. And, in the description it refers to the nylon as "expanding nylon".

I rubbed some coconut oil on her legs, and she has licked it off. It's so hot here that it is liquid. I could syringe a bit more into her mouth. So far, she's still acting like she feels fine, and there has been no vomit.

BarbR

VIP Member
Community Member
Registered
Forgot to mention. She has eaten a few times - small quantities.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Maybe she'll just continue to eat better and be happier overall...??

Overcoming challenges can help them (and us) get stronger and more resilient!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Another great step when there are crisis like this is to keep your thoughts very positive. Check out the following - good to listen to on a regular basis:
HA! Happiness Protocol: 7 Ways to Optimize Your Pet's Life
Love, Animals & Miracles With Dr. Bernie Siegel
https://www.holisticactions.com/grandmother
Many more talks about how keeping a great mental attitude is healing: https://www.youtube.com/@HolisticActions/ and https://www.youtube.com/@AllPawsPetTalkTV

As soon as you can, begin to work on all of her health challenges - "She has irritable bowel issues and her appetite is not consistent. ... She has an obsessive/compulsive behavior of chewing on strings..."

By working to improve vitality and getting her vibrational field balanced, she will have a good chance to stop craving string, eat better and live a longer, symptom free life.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom