• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Urinary urgency after OSS surgery

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom had her OSS on Monday and thursday she seemed to have some urgency running out the door to urinate. It seemed to be increasing and she could not wait to go out. When she went out after urinating fully she would squat many times during a walk as if trying to go more but only a few drops came out. I noticed some urine on the floor inside too. I took her urine sample in yesterday, although not first morning, it was in the afternoon and the vet called and said no WBC but the PH is high so he said to put her on antibiotics. I hope that is all it is and not some side effect of a botched surgery. Her incision is also a bit inflamed and still red (but no redder than the day she had her surgery) but the vet said the antibiotic may help that too. Last night and this morning I gave her some pulsatilla because I thought it was for urinary problems. Any thoughts on any of this? The vet wants to put her on clavamox. I did not want augmentin as I do not like those class of drugs for people or pets. I do not know how she got a urinary infection, do you? She does not drink water still. The day of her surgery I think she only once at the end of the day so maybe that caused an infection? Or laying on the floor of the vet clinic?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Any thoughts on any of this?
Urinary issues after any abdominal procedure are pretty common. They usually are not du to the surgical procedure itself.
The vet wants to put her on clavamox
Was there a urine culture? In the current anti-biotic overuse epidemic which has contributed to MRSA,. You may want to request a culture before starting an anti-biotic.
I do not know how she got a urinary infection, do you?
Usually inflammation/irritation of the tissues.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Urinary issues after any abdominal procedure are pretty common. They usually are not du to the surgical procedure itself.

Was there a urine culture? In the current anti-biotic overuse epidemic which has contributed to MRSA,. You may want to request a culture before starting an anti-biotic.

Usually inflammation/irritation of the tissues.
I will request that but since the wbc count was normal will it show a sensitivity if there was no identifiable wbcells? I AM quite worried the bladder may have been damaged and oh geez, I hope this is not the tale of the rest of her life.....I cannot keep up with the frequent outs.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
will it show a sensitivity if there was no identifiable wbcells?
Yes! A culture determines use of anti-biotics based on the presence of bacteria. The presence of WBC's is not a necessity.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes! A culture determines use of anti-biotics based on the presence of bacteria. The presence of WBC's is not a necessity.
Oh cool, I did email the vet last night and asked him to order it. One other question... since her alkalinity is high should I stop adding calcium to her food which is partially raw fed and partially cooked or stuff I add like eggs or fish? I was feeding a lot of broccoli sprouts, lettuce, arugula etc... should I stop those alkalinizing veggies too? Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Perhaps add acidifying and immune stimulating vitamin C.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom