• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Paw licking (chronic)

EvaT

Registered
Bella Tatum, Female, Spayed 6 yr young English Bulldog. Bella is at 40 lbs, currently in process of changing protein, Has had the required vaccines at 2 yrs young. Symptoms have been ongoing for 4 yrs. Hasn't taken any heart worm meds in the last 3 yrs or any non-core vaccines.

Primary problem is licking her paws mainly after eating each meal. Have tried several different proteins throughout the past 3-4 years and the issue is still persistent. We live in Austin, Texas and have been told her licking is due to the environment and not so much a food allergy. We have tried Venison, Rabbit, Lamb, Turkey, Whitefish (all Raw proteins). Starting new protein today (Small Batch Beef/raw) Hoping this might help out. We have tried the paw soaks with Epson Salt or Himalayan Pink Salt mixed with baking but this remedy provides very little relief. Bella also suffers from yeasty buildup around her folds on her face. We use medicated Chlorexidine wipes. We have also been using a topical probiotic spray on her paws 2-3 per day for the last week (this helps some but not providing enough relief). Her paws are raw due to the licking.

She was Apoquel and Cytopoint for about the past 3 years. The Cytopoint stopped working then continued with Apoquel alone. Currently giving her Benadryl twice a day to give her some relief. Bella also suffers from reoccurring UTIs and issue with dry eyes. She doesn't seem to drink much water but we're aware she can get her hydration from her food.

All and any advice will be greatly appreciated. We are hoping someone with English Bulldog knowledge or that have dealt with similar issues can help us out.

Thank you very much!
Eva and Tom Tatum

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Eva and Tom.

Thank you for your post and for all of the information you've provided. While we await a response from @Dr. Jeff and @Dr. Christina, I'd like to ask if the licking seems to be seasonal? When you were told that it might be environmental, was that clarified? Grass? Wool rug? etc.?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for pointing out Eva's post Kim!

Eva, Tom and I had just discussed this during our Skype HMDM call, so I was holding off on my opinion to prevent just saying the same thing again...

Yes, a contact allergy isa big possibility.

Eva, do you wash/soak or wipe Bella's feet when she comes inside from walking on grass?

EvaT

Registered
Hi Eva and Tom.

Thank you for your post and for all of the information you've provided. While we await a response from @Dr. Jeff[USER] and [USER=8]@Dr. Christina, I'd like to ask if the licking seems to be seasonal? When you were told that it might be environmental, was that clarified? Grass? Wool rug? etc.?
No, the licking of the paws are all year round. We haven't done any dermatology testing. This was our regular vet opinion. Thank you.

EvaT

Registered
Thanks for pointing out Eva's post Kim!

Eva, Tom and I had just discussed this during our Skype HMDM call, so I was holding off on my opinion to prevent just saying the same thing again...

Yes, a contact allergy isa big possibility.

Eva, do you wash/soak or wipe Bella's feet when she comes inside from walking on grass?
Yes, we do, always. She rarely walks on grass. She walks on sidewalks and gets rides in her stroller. She is very lazy! lol She is not very energetic.
Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
She is very lazy! lol She is not very energetic.

Ah, there lies the problem!

If we focus on her cellular energy level and balance, the paw licking, or other allergy symptoms, should resolve.

Her body's clues (symptoms) are the guides to what to do and what is working. Here are a few of the articles about energy balance and what you can do to improve her energy level and quality of life:

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Just out of curiosity, when you walk her is the leash attached to a harness or the collar? Sometimes pressure of the collar will irritate the nerves that go to the feet. Dr. Christina taught me that! It doesn't really correspond to the itchiness after eating, but maybe a little factor.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Very lazy. Primary problem is licking her paws mainly after eating each meal. Have tried several different proteins throughout the past 3-4 years and the issue is still persistent. We live in Austin, Texas and have been told her licking is due to the environment and not so much a food allergy. UTIs. Dry eyes.

Eva, have you taken the 5 lesson class yet? It will help you understand several things:
1. there are a lot of symptoms, so it may take a strong effort to heal all the issues. They CAN BE healed. patience will be needed.
2. Stopping any of the symptoms with drugs (or suppressive holistic) can worsen overall health unless done in a way that stimulates self healing (energy methods, veterinary homeopathy, Chinese medicine, or chiropractic)
3. more about nutrition - fresh food of most importance.
4. more about toxins
5. Especially important - creating a healing team. a. Here at holistic actions b. energy healers c. holistic veterinarians

the underlying cause of symptoms is an energy imbalance triggered by diet, or environment, or lack of physical exercise, or stress, or the phase of the moon....we often do not know the trigger, yet we can restore balance and the body heals and stays healthy. This is especially important with skin symptoms as they are a great clue if we are on the right healing track such as being able to stop the Benedryl and she begins to be more active. There is no one right answer, no one right treatment, no one right expert. You are the expert as you live with Bella 24/7, so you know if something is deeply helping (improved BEAM - behavior, energy, appetite mood). Keeping a journal can really help.

I would suggest, in order, while you temporarily continue the Benedryl:
1. Dr. Jeff's suggestions for happiness
2. Listening to Bernie Siegel's talks for us and for All Paws Pet Talk TV (your attitude really can help). Getting her happy is the first major step, then you can slowly unravel the current and earlier health issues.
3. Taking the Pet health 101 class
4. Creating your health care team to address ALL the symptoms and to be careful not to suppress the skin ones. Read this article completely, and if you still cannot find some good holistic veterinarians (local or virtual), post again.
5. Begin tracking how symptoms change with each strategy by downloading the journal
6. Learning one of the many energy modalites we present.

Dr. Chambreau

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom