• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

New Foster Cat Aggression

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
I'm hoping to find information about pregnancy induced aggression. My rescue just took on a pregnant cat named Daphne. She's due in a week. She’s been here for two weeks.

She’s bitten me twice already and once sent me to the ER. She’s not vaccinated for rabies. Her behavior is unpredictable and frightening to me. I’ve handled probably 750 cats by now, some pregnant, some lactating moms, from all sorts of situations, but this is the first time I’ve really been afraid of a cat. She’s not feral. In fact, the first few days I had her she would climb in my lap, purring away, sweet as pie. After she bit me things have changed. I get it that my energy plays a part and I’m trying my best to be relaxed, but her movements are sudden and fast, she meows a lot, she rubs on my leg (then bit me once), and she hisses at me once in awhile, then seems fine with me, and I’m worried she will lash out again.

Not sure where this message would go so please move it if need be. I'm very concerned I won't be able to help her if she needs it when she gives birth or handle her kittens after they're born. I'm hoping she will mellow out, not get worse, after the kittens are born, but who knows?

I have a Feliway diffuser going in her room and she is very much separated from any other cat in my house. She's in a room within another room so there is no way my cats can sneak a paw under her door or do anything to stress her out. I wash my hands and put on an extra layer of clothes over my clothes to keep the cat scent off me. I even sprayed feliway onto myself, but she smelled it before I opened the door to her room and she hissed at me. Gah! HElp! And I'm a certified cat behavior counselor. I'm stumped.

Thanks for any advice.
Robin

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin.

Thanks for posting this tricky situation.

Yes. Rabies is not nearly as likely as behavior issues that existed prior to or were triggered by hormonal fluctuations.

Personally, I'd not worry too much about helping her out when giving birth or with her newborns. She will most certainly know instinctively what to do and handle it appropriately. "Wild" (and naturally reared) cats typically don't have the problems that we associate with (and create?) vaccinated and otherwise treated queens.

Plus, the homeopathic medicine will help restore any internal imbalance that could predispose to a problem.

Please keep us update on her progress.

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh, and one other thought.

It might also help to directly associate yourself with her feeding (if you are not already doing so).

If possible, just hang out right near her food bowl when you feed her.

Any positive association will be helpful.

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom