• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Need help ASAP on recurrent urethra blockage in cat

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
My niece is having her 4 yr old cat have a perineal urethrostomy tomorrow morning! I just learned about it. I am trying to talk her into trying Homepathy first.

She said over several days he has had 3 urethral blockages where he cannot go. The emergency room vet said it’s his anatomical structure. Is that possible. Last year he was better on a diet change of special food called CD? I tried to warn her about the seriousness of this surgery. Can Homepathy help him. He did have crystals last year but all labs show normal right now?

If the surgery is performed this poor cat is going to need all the help possible. Can I give him some aconite to prevent kennel virus after being hospitalized and what else to help him heal. I wish I could talk her into trying one more time. Any suggestions. Time is running out for this kitty. Thank you!

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jeff and Dr Christina, Nelson had surgery this afternoon. If his recovery is uneventful, then he may be discharged on Sunday or Monday. Would it be safe to give him post op with his antibiotics and knowing his type of surgery the following:

Arnica Montana 30C dissolved in 8 oz of water, give 2 drops a day for post op Healing.? Or is 200 C better, I have both.

Not sure what I can give to her to give him for keeping cold away from being hospitalized. And maybe not a good idea if he is on arnica to mix with aconite nap?

A canned food, like cornecupia with a pinch of SFN is the SFN too early to start? If this was truly anotomical then the food type should not matter?

Then if other issues come up this will give her plenty of time to start working with a homeopathic vet for further guidance after records are sent.

They want Nelson to live in a large dog crate with a cone on for 3 weeks so he will not jump on anything??

Please any other suggestions to help her post operative would help very much. Should he start vomiting for any reason what is a good remedy to try so he stops and does not tear sutures, I am thinking nux, 30 c but not sure if it should be diluted and q tip or drops to give.

Anything you can suggest so we have a ready to go u til Care is established would be so very helpful!!!!! Thank you!

D

Dr. Jean

Hi Joann! The food type always matters... cats with urinary issues should not get any dry food at all (actually, this goes for all cats!). When using canned, stay away from fish-predominant flavors, and add extra water (to tolerance; if it gets too diluted they won't eat it). Dry-fed cats have a 40% chance of recurrence, all-wet about 4%.

Cats tend to be chronically dehydrated, so keeping things diluted and flowing is crucial.

All male cats have the same anatomical issue (narrow urethra with a tight curve), so I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean.

Tests do not always detect problems. Chronic inflammation and other issues may exist with no clinical signs. We had one cat with a no crystals and clear x-rays, but at surgery we removed 34 little struvite bladder stones. Another cat with chronic litterbox issues but repeated clear tests was finally euthanized. At necropsy, the bladder was horribly thickened with long-standing inflammation so severe it was almost entirely purple with hemorrhage. As you might imagine, the vet felt very bad about missing it.

PU cats can still block if the underlying problem is not addressed. Besides diet and, if tolerated, supplements like antioxidants and glucosamine, constitutional homeopathy is best for that. :)

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jean, thank you! Nelson for over 2 yrs has been having issues peeing outside the box so I think inflammation is an issue.

She was feeding special diet CD but just looking at the ingredients made me so upset. He obstructed on this diet and they did the surgery. My thoughts are to transition to cornucopia canned with a pinch of SFN which is raw broccoli powder in each meal. I read that the ph changes in a cat when ready to eat so not sure if 2x or more is better? Also start Nelson on a probiotic Animal Essentials, and start slowly with Dr Mercola bladder support and standard process renal support and immune support.
She will transition slowly to this from a year on a diet of CD, and then before that wellness chicken and fish canned mix d with some dry. I tried to get her to change when he first showed signs of bladder issues like peeing outside his box. Kris has crohns or I would suggest raw, but maybe even a little Answers bone broth from time to time. I truly hope his bladder is not in bad condition. All his labs look good? Your thoughts on this plan and using cornucopia canned food. I don’t think it will cause UTI? Do you think a homeopathic remedy should be used as I will try to have her begin to work with a homeopathic vet? Thank you?

D

Dr. Jean

I agree, c/d ingredients are disgusting! For canned foods, I recommend checking the list at www.catinfo.org and choosing non-fish foods that have phosphorus of 250 mg/kg or less, to keep his kidneys as happy as possible. He may have some kidney damage from being blocked, so that is primary. I'm not familiar with the broccoli powder, but vegetables are alkalinizing to the urine, and in dehydrated form are very concentrated, so be cautious with that. Bone broth would be excellent! And definitely, homeopathy would be very helpful given the chronicity of the problem.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom