• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My Cat with HCM

PaulF

VIP Member
Registered
Hello Everyone

The issue of using CO Q10 along with Atenolol was discussed. I received a very nice email to from a good cardiologist that COQ10 may help my cat however there is a risk factor that using both can lower blood pressure so much that it could have fatal results. Want to avoid this result but how do I do it.

Second would anybody know where I can find research on homeopathy has been very successful treating HCM in cats. I am currently looking at a place in England that Dr. Jeff referred me to, does anyone know a cardiologist that has been successful with treating HCM with homeopathy or holistic methods.

Thank you for reading

Paul

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Paul-

As @Dr. Sara mentioned tonight, you will not find many (or any) studies about treating HCM. However, there are lots of individual cases of treating patients with HCM. I will keep see what I can find for you.

This book has some good heart (and other) cases:

I am not aware of a holistic cardiologist. However, some are definitely more holistically-minded than others.

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Paul,
I do not know where the cardiologist got the information regarding coenzyme Q lowering blood pressure when given with atenolol. A veterinary literature search on the subscription service Veterinary Information Network (VIN) showed no adverse interactions. Many cardiologists routinely use beta blockers and coenzyme Q together.

An on-line search turned up a Mayo clinic discussion of ubiquinol (coenzyme Q) stating that:

"Coenzyme Q10​

Taking coenzyme Q10 can decrease:
The effectiveness of warfarin (Jantoven)
Your blood pressure if you also take a calcium channel blocker, such as diltiazem (Cardizem, Tiazac, others)"

This seems to be the opposite of what your cardiologist said. Human results are not necessarily valid for animals, however, and your cat is taking a beta blocker, which is different from a calcium channel blocker.

VIN has an on-line free service for animal owners, which can be useful to see the potential side effects of drugs. I you look at the atenolol entry, there are no concerns listed for coenzyme Q (ubiquinol).

It is possible that your cardiologist has access to some brand new research, though it would be unusual that none of the VIN cardiologists are aware of it. You could query him or her as to the source of the information. It is possible that there was some misunderstanding.
I hope this is helpful.
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
That's interesting about CoQ10. I had just one cat react badly to it. She became dizzy and ataxic after a few days at 10 mg per day. Low blood pressure would explain those symptoms! She was fine at 5 mg per day, so I think that would be a safe level if you want to try it.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for sharing your experience Dr. Jean!

Do you recall if the kitty was also on atenolol? Or was this a unique response (based on her individuality)?

Did they try increasing the dose to see if the effect was reproducible?

What form of CoQ was she using (powder, gelcap, crystalline free)?

I've used a lot of it over the years at a 10mg dose (and higher), and never saw wobbliness like this?

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
No, no atenolol. She was a Russian Blue with a host of issues, I particularly remember uroliths and a clotting disorder. She was on quite a few supplements as well as homeopathy. I think her mom just got capsules at Whole Foods, probably powder form, easier to split up. Due to her fragility we left it at 5 mg, and she did very well long term with that. I used 10 mg with a lot of cats too, and she was the only one who had a problem. It was really surprising. It was most likely an idiosynchratic reaction, but provides a cautionary tale nevertheless.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Exactly! An idiosyncratic (individual) reaction.

Paul, this probably was not hypotension related and was not associated with atenolol.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom