• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Holistic Repair of a Dog's Torn ACL

FrancesC

Registered
Hello, Couldn't quite find the correct thread post this in so I hope it is ok to start a new one. My 10 1/2 year old female Maltese ( 6.1 pounds) is suspected of having a torn ACL on her hind left leg. She had been a little reluctant to go on walks for a few weeks and sometimes we would carry her but she is eager to walk home, or make stops to make her mark on each grass patch.It wasn't until I noticed her limping the other day that we took her to the vet. Apart from this she only showed signs of reluctancy to go on walks, or would walk outside slowly in order to pee and then back to herself. She is eating fine ( she loves food), playing with the other dog fine, sleeps well and behavior has been normal until we noticed her limping. Vet says it may have been injured before but she continued like normal until the tear occurred making her limp. She is on metacam 1.5mg and as she has a history of hemolytic anemia and had 6 blood transfusions until the final one took. Surgery to repair the ACL may not be an option. I have not spoken to a surgeon but we see our vet in 3 weeks for Bernadette to be re-evaluated. Is there something we can do to help our pet and ease her discomfort so she can heal on her own. She is pretty mellow since the day she began limping and taking the meds. We love our little baby.

IMG_1287.jpeg

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
There are several companies making prescription custom braces for individual dogs - these allow a natural healing while maintaining mobility and circulation in the tissues. You would need to work through a veterinarian to order and monitor use. I'm out west, and use Dr. Christin Finn - finndvm.com - She specializes in these injuries, and I have seen really great recoveries in her practice. There is a short article on ACL injuries on her home page. She would also welcome your phone call at a time TBA. I'll bet she knows other vets all over who could guide you and work with Orthopet or another brace source.

My first dog had two TPLOs. Never again....not necessary!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Fran! Welcome to HA! Thanks for making your first post.

I'm super sorry to hear about adorable and sweet Bernadette.:confused:

Yes!! There's lots that you can do.:thumbsup:

The first thing to know tho is that in 38 years as a vet, and lots of dogs (including my own) with ACL tears, very few have had to have surgery. And none that are less than 10 lbs.

The first thing to do is to read the HA! Holistic 101 course. In it you'll start to learn a different approach to use with your sweet pup.

It's based on optimizing all the tissues, organs and glands in her body by increasing her cellular energy.

I have a few questions before I go on.

1. What does she eat?

2. Has she had any recent vaccinations?

she loves food
That's a perfect way to improve her body's healing ability.

Perhaps buy a bag of freeze-dried chicken hearts and use tiny bits of them buried in a snuffle mat (search the forum for lots more info. about these).

Maximize her time outside in the sun and on the earth (she can just lie in the yard with you).

Basically, you can use nature therapy, happiness, sniffling, engagement, etc. to help her self repair the ACL.

Here's a few articles to get you started (along with the 101 course).

BTW-A brace per Ginny's recommendation is a great idea.

FrancesC

Registered
Hi Fran! Welcome to HA! Thanks for making your first post.

I'm super sorry to hear about adorable and sweet Bernadette.:confused:

Yes!! There's lots that you can do.:thumbsup:

The first thing to know tho is that in 38 years as a vet, and lots of dogs (including my own) with ACL tears, very few have had to have surgery. And none that are less than 10 lbs.

The first thing to do is to read the HA! Holistic 101 course. In it you'll start to learn a different approach to use with your sweet pup.

It's based on optimizing all the tissues, organs and glands in her body by increasing her cellular energy.

I have a few questions before I go on.

1. What does she eat?

2. Has she had any recent vaccinations?

That's a perfect way to improve her body's healing ability.

Perhaps buy a bag of freeze-dried chicken hearts and use tiny bits of them buried in a snuffle mat (search the forum for lots more info. about these).

Maximize her time outside in the sun and on the earth (she can just lie in the yard with you).

Basically, you can use nature therapy, happiness, sniffling, engagement, etc. to help her self repair the ACL.

Here's a few articles to get you started (along with the 101 course).

BTW-A brace per Ginny's recommendation is a great idea.
Thank you Dr Jeff. You have been helpful in the past to my sweet Maltese pups, that I appreciate your response.
Bernadette eats home cooked foods, chicken, organic beef, sometimes ground turkey, often with blueberries, celery, greens...but she also gets canned Weruva dog food. We had moved across country and canned dog food was our option as we moved quite a bit before getting situated in our home. Bernadette has not had any additional vaccines since her hemolytic anemia October 30th, 2018. She is under anesthesia when she has her teeth cleaned.
We have snuffle mats which she loves and I use those often for my dogs along with the freeze dried chicken... her favorite. i shall view the articles and reread the course. And i will look into a brace for her, maybe mentioning it to my vet. The meds she is on right now, we give to her midday to help as she is quite active and it helps mellow her out or masks the pain. But i do not think she is in pain or has been as she does not show that...she wags her tail, ears are up, she eats, and sleeps and runs when the door bell rings.

FrancesC

Registered
There are several companies making prescription custom braces for individual dogs - these allow a natural healing while maintaining mobility and circulation in the tissues. You would need to work through a veterinarian to order and monitor use. I'm out west, and use Dr. Christin Finn - finndvm.com - She specializes in these injuries, and I have seen really great recoveries in her practice. There is a short article on ACL injuries on her home page. She would also welcome your phone call at a time TBA. I'll bet she knows other vets all over who could guide you and work with Orthopet or another brace source.

My first dog had two TPLOs. Never again....not necessary!
Thank you Ginny. i shall look into a brace for her as she is very active and I feel it may be helpful, although i can't say she will wear it. Lol

FrancesC

Registered

FrancesC

Registered
I am not sure if this will get a response, as I cannot seem to log on to the forum, but I wanted to give an update on Bernadette. Our veterinarian says Bernadette cannot be put in a brace due to her arthritis. I didnt know she had any. And to prevent her from getting surgery a brace is not advised, but suggests meds for some time. Not sure I am comfortable with that as she has hemolytic anemia and I dont want this causing any issues? Also she is having allergy issues , shakes her head and flicks her ear. Vet said her ear s fine but can recommend allergy meds as well. Are there any holistic alternatives?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom