• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

High Triglyceride in two dogs

cindypinera

VIP Member
Registered
What is the significance of a high triglyceride? I was giving my dog coconut oil but I decided to stop. My dog is Raisin and she is a standard schnauzer. I read that this can be normal in some breeds like the schnauzer. My friend has a fox terrier with a high triglyceride and alk/Phos. her vet is unable to diagnose any illness. Previously Kassidy was drinking and urinating a lot but now she is fine. Cushings and diabetes was ruled out. I know the liver can make triglycerides. Could a high triglyceride just be normal for both dogs?

Kassidys (Fox terrier) abnormal results:
Triglycerides:533
Alk/Phos:682
Prot/Creatine ratio(urine):2.5

Raisin (standard schnauzer) abnormal results:

Triglycerides: 643

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Cindy-

Thanks for asking (and sorry for the delay in answering)!

Yes indeed, there is an inherited form of hyper-triglyceridemia in Schnauzers (especially well documented in Minis).

However, the tests results need to be interpreted within the holistic <strong>context</strong>.

So the first question is what is your (and your friend's) Holistic Medical Decision Making goal (Step 1 of HMDM)?

If it is just to decrease the test results there are indeed various nutritional ways to do this.

Surprisingly, one of these is with an oil but not coconut oil (which is also probably not hurting Raisin's triglyceride levels - and may be helping).

Omega-3 fish oils have been shown to lower blood triglycerides (and cholesterol). Ironically, the best, and most bioavailable, ones are in the triglyceride form.

In addition, a fiber supplement can be very helpful in lowering the numbers.

There are many other supportive diet and supplement modifications that you can make, but let's not get into them yet. Instead, let's continue with your HMDM Step 1 goal.

If your goal (as I believe it may be) is to promote the happiest and best quality of life for the pups then there's one important question to answer first.

That is, how are the pup's BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite Mood) symptoms?

The elevated triglyceride and SAP results are only solitary internal symptoms of a possible internal imbalance. I say possible in Raisin's case because as you say, her elevated triglycerides may be her "normal" because of her genetic predisposition to high numbers of it.

Has she ever had a triglyceride done before?

Was this blood test drawn after a 10-12 hour fast (the fast helps insure accuracy of the result)?

If there Raisin has no BEAM or other symptom abnormalities then I'd look closely at her diet (what do you feed?), and consider adding a high quality and bioavailable omega-3 like OmegAvail from Designs for Health.

Now Kassidy is another story. She has other internal and external symptoms with the elevated SAP, triglycerides and historical PU/PD (polyuria and polydipsia is vet speak for drinking and peeing a lot).  Especially significant with a borderline to high protein level in her urine.

With her history, and breed,  I would indeed be very suspicious for very early Cushingoid changes.

It's not surprising, and it's great news, that her confirmatory tests were negative. And by the way, which tests were those (ACTH, dexamethasone suppression, abdominal ultrasound looking at her liver and adrenals)?

Why is it great news? Because it shows that any internal imbalance has not progressed to the point of being diagnosable (I'm not sure if that's even a word).

Dis-ease (an internal energetic imbalance) starts at this "functional" level where there are symptoms, but not any named dis-ease.

Over time, if it is untreated, it will progress to a structural problem which can indeed be diagnosed. And also making the imbalance more difficult to treat.

The internal treatment of choice IMHO is one that can scientifically use both the internal as well as the external symptoms.

For me (and Dr. Christina) that is homeopathy.

Since these are deep (and probably even genetically predisposed) dis-eases, this is the kind of treatment which would require your (or your friend) working with a professional vet homeopath.

So to summarize:

1-Decide upon your treatment goal (lower the test results of quality of life).

2-Look at BEAM and any other early warning sign or symptoms of early internal imbalance.

3-Upgrade the diet and add omega-3s and fiber if desired.

4-Treat internally with a vet homeopath while mindfully monitoring the test results.

There's also lots of other questions about the pups such as ages, vaccine and drug history, etc. that can help individualize care.

The Cushing's and Diabetes (endocrine dis-eases) resources have lots of other tips. Perhaps watch that webinar-course video (it's in the resource area) and followup Empower Hours! and read the accompanying toolkit.

And of course we can chat a bit during one of the weekly member mentoring sessions.

I hope this helpful and not too confusing. Feel free to ask for any clarification or other questions.

Be well.

Dr. Jeff

PS-<a href="http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/monitor-serum-concentrations-triglyceride-or-cholesterol-hyperlipidemia" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Click or tap here</a> for a detailed vet article about hypertriglyceridemia.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
So glad you posted here, Cindy. Dr. Jeff is so knowledgeable.

You said that Kassidy was now fine - that the excessive drinking (therefor increased urination) is no longer present? Maybe your friend would benefit from weekly water consumption measuring, and of course recording (as you are so good at).

to help evaluate the BEAM and Early Warning Signs, maybe you could bring your list over to her and do the exam with her, then she can track any that present or even slightly abnormal.

If there are any symptoms, especially those great characteristic ones you know of since you are trained in homeopathy, maybe she would be willing to work with Dr. Krawitz.

for both dogs, in addition to Dr. Jeff's diet suggestions, repeating the blood work (at the same time of day, if possible) on a regular basis would help measure the internal symptom so you can correlate it with any external, observable, ones.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
So glad you posted here, Cindy. Dr. Jeff is so knowledgeable.

You said that Kassidy was now fine - that the excessive drinking (therefor increased urination) is no longer present? Maybe your friend would benefit from weekly water consumption measuring, and of course recording (as you are so good at).

to help evaluate the BEAM and Early Warning Signs, maybe you could bring your list over to her and do the exam with her, then she can track any that present or even slightly abnormal.

If there are any symptoms, especially those great characteristic ones you know of since you are trained in homeopathy, maybe she would be willing to work with Dr. Krawitz.

for both dogs, in addition to Dr. Jeff's diet suggestions, repeating the blood work (at the same time of day, if possible) on a regular basis would help measure the internal symptom so you can correlate it with any external, observable, ones.

Dr. Christina

cindypinera

VIP Member
Registered
Great information Dr. Jeff. I will follow your suggestions. My dog was not

fasting and a previous triglyceride level has never been done. Since I am

both a homeopath and a medical technologist I believe the BEAM symptoms to be

the most important. Therefore I was not routinely doing blood work or

vaccinating my dog. Per my vet's suggestion I have been adding lots of raw vegetables

to Raisin's diet. She loves kale, carrots and broccoli. What type of fiber would you

suggest?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Cindy-

Wow, what a fantastic and diverse background! You definitely will find the HMDM framework useful (for yourself as well as your clients).

Celery, grated broccoli, peas, artichokes, and any cruciferous or green leafy veggie.

<a href="https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Click or tap here</a> for Mayo Clinic's high fiber food list. Everything on it except raisins is good for dogs.

Alternatively, my clients often use this Holistic Pet Support <a href="https://www.homevet.com/product/holistic-pet-support-fiber-plus-powder/" target="_blank" rel="noopener">fiber supplement.</a>

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom