• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Liver Values are High

LillyH

Registered
April 28, 2023: Ruby female, Carin Terrier, Age 9 1/2 and 39 pounds. I need to get a few pounds off of her. Her beam is good. She just had her blood work done (April 25, 2023) she did not fast for this blood work and she also got the 3YR rabies vaccine. I'm using the Jackson Galaxy vaccine detox for her.
She has a good appetite, and enjoys her snuffle mat and evening walks. She has no symptoms except having some mucus in her stools after eating a raw beef trachea (1 inch piece) everyday for several weeks. I also would feed freeze dried turkey meal bars, small batch beef patties, raw turkey necks and raw duck necks.

Blood work on April 25, 2023
All of her other blood values were in good ranges. She only had four high levels.
The ALK Phosphatase was 626 (High) Range 5-131,
ALT (SGPT) is 164 (High) Range 12-118,
Calicum 11.6 (High) Range 8.9 - 11.4
Eosinophils 1260 (High) Range 0-1200

Last time she had blood work (8/22/2022) done there were only four high items.
One was the ALK Phosphatase 293 (High)
Protein 8.1 (High)
Globulin 3.7 (High)
Bun 36 (High) August 22, 2022.

Stool was checked and it was good. No urine test was done.
My vet recommend to put her on milk thistle for six months and then recheck the blood work.
I will be giving her Liver Tonic by Adored Beast.
What can I do to help my Ruby. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thank You: Lilly

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Lily!

Thanks so much for coming to today's Q&A.
she did not fast for this blood work
Ah, that changes the interpretation we just discussed.

Because you are already doing so many good things for her, and because her Alk Phos is trending up, that may be the only significant "abnormality" that may need addressing (Cairns are predisposed to Cushing's and other imbalances that can raise Alk. Phos.).

In general elevations of that enzyme is not as potentially problematic as the other biochemical changes you mentioned. All of these can be affected by fasting.

Perhaps continue the liver tonic, add a source of dimethylglycine (DMG) and consider an 8-10 hour fasted blood test recheck and bring a first morning mid-stream urine sample in a few weeks.

In the meantime, see if you can find a vet internist who you can add to Ruby's vet care team. In case you decide you would like the liver (and full abdomen) ultrasound.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom