• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

High red blood cell in Blossom Repeat blood work

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I had Blossom's blood repeated last week. Her RBC (10), Hematocrit (66) and Hemoglobin (23) are all now in the high range. Last time the RBC 8.58 was very close to high where the cut off is 8.7 It is funny how vets do not seem to interpret that result as concerning last time. I KNEW it would go into the high range this time but that is how they look at everything. Her Na: K ratio was Low. Potassium 5.9 and Sodium 25. This time her reticulocytes, CK and BUN were in the normal range. I thought the 14 SDMA was also close to out of range this time but he was not worried. Again, I see it creeped up from an 11. Probably another case of them not being worried and next blood test it will be abnormal.
I asked the vet to do a coagulation panel but he did not feel it was necessary. Platelets were normal but if she has thick blood then she is still at risk for clots is my understanding. I always like more information and willing to spend the money if it results in something beneficial. I also wanted a D Dimer test and fibrinogen which was not that expensive...Why won't vets do the testing you want if willing to pay. I DO feel those tests would be helpful. And I could give supplementation to thin the blood and prevent clots if I had the information.

Spec cPL went to normal this time although it was not sent out this time. Last time IDEXX did it. Hope that the in house testing is comparable. Again, I did not know he wasn't sending it out. I like to compare apples to apples and willing to pay the cost if more.

So from the homeopathy perspective, she was on aconite for a bit since first bloods as well as the arsenicum. I cannot say if either affected her physicality. I DO know I gave her a dose of arsencum saturday and sunday took her for a ride and she was HORRIBLE. Usually better after I let her out for a walk but not this time.
I wanted the coagulation so not to put her through another blood draw.

One vet tells me he hasn't seen a problem with polycythemia in decades of practice (not sure what that means---I thought they do blood letting for it)
The reason for her high RBC is not known.
One vet suggested possible Addisons with the sodium potassium ratio low. ACTH test needed
Also she is in heat now. How do her hormones affect this? Maybe she should lose her hormones totally if and when she can have surgery.
Is surgery safe for her?
There is still the clinical sign of slow walking and I am guessing but I do not have testing data to show low oxygen, pooped afterwards and low exercise tolerance. Heat does make it worse. Still not drinking water. Now refusing the collagen drink as well as the Primal broth.

I was disappointed the Arsenicum was great the first time---17 min in the car and yesterday not so good at all. I told the homeopath I will give this one more shot and not willing to invest more if we cannot fine ONE remedy for all things.

On another note... the homeopath that I had for another dog told me to give the combo remedies twice a day. I now realize that was wrong. You don't give remedies like a supplement or pill. And you don't give combos if a professional homeopath. Had I known he was a fraud then....at least it fits my definition. Wished i had done more research before then instead of going by the name and years of experience. Although the current homeopath I have has Blossom on two remedies so how is that different from a combo remedy. I am totally confused frankly of the difference

Do not know how I will get her for imaging, ultrasound 1 hr away unless someone hits on the "right" homeopathic.

I guess it can take time but I don't know if I can wait for as long as it takes to work and was hoping to see SOME improvement sustained but that isn't happening.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Also she is in heat now. How do her hormones affect this?
Great question Lil! How hormones, or really anything, affect the delicate interplay of the systems of the body will depend on her individuality.

The affect the blood count (and most parameters) will be minimal.
Is surgery safe for her?
Propofol and isoflurane anesthesia should be safe as long as she is being monitored (often by a tech, the vet, pulse ox, EKG, etc).

Has the vet ever detected a heart murmur or irregularity or any unusual lung sounds?

A chest x-ray and/or EKG would be helpful.

Lil, what's Blossom's resting respiratory rate been?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Great question Lil! How hormones, or really anything, affect the delicate interplay of the systems of the body will depend on her individuality.

The affect the blood count (and most parameters) will be minimal.

Propofol and isoflurane anesthesia should be safe as long as she is being monitored (often by a tech, the vet, pulse ox, EKG, etc).

Has the vet ever detected a heart murmur or irregularity or any unusual lung sounds?

A chest x-ray and/or EKG would be helpful.

Lil, what's Blossom's resting respiratory rate been?
I just checked her resting rate and it was about 32 which seems ok since about an hour ago we walked in the heat at noon. I am waiting for the Reproductive vet to call me. He is the one an hour away and I would have them do the ultrasound. I don't know if ultrasound AND xray would be advisable. For all I know she may even need an echo. The one vet did not hear any murmur or report anything unusual and her ProBNP was ok in April. I took her to a new vet who doesn't do stuff in front of me with her. Takes her back which as an information and need to know person I would prefer seeing all he does. The other vet I have lets me stay with her and I see everything but he goes on vacation too much and so I have a different vet that I take her to. I know the EKG is just a snapshot but I will definitely put it on the to have done list. Before any surgery I would want to cover all bases and even if nothing found I would still wonder why her walking is slow and her lethargy after exercise. That would haunt me in the context of all else being ok. So even bad news would be good news as it would alert me to an issue with surgery. But since she is in heat she can't have any spay surgery for a few months anyway.
I wonder if the stress she was under at the shelter, shutdown, trembling all the time along with the toxins, drugs for anxiety and such would shut down her cortisol production. I had a dog once who lived outside and the stress of hot weather mostly with Lar Par, that dog ended up with an adrenal tumor. Blossom was found tied to a tree and stressed when the police brought her to the shelter and then extremely stressed for 30 days with no letting up till she came here. In spite of it all, she does seem to enjoy her walks and desires to go. She does show interest to explore in her environment and is very astute.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom