• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dental - advocating to retain loose teeth

Cyd

VIP Member
Registered
I want to advocate for retaining as many of Elliott's loose teeth as possible. He has several missing & loose incisors. The front teeth that he does have serve the important function of holding his tongue inside of his mouth. I want to see if I can do focused work on those teeth to help them set more securely, the upper ones are especially wiggly. Referencing the Modified Triadan Numbering System, on his upper left #201 & #202 are very loose + a long length of roots are prominent. On the lower left #302 & #303 are loose, #301 is missing & #304, the canine, is broken, half of the tooth is missing. On the upper right #101, #102 are missing. I will try to include a photo of the area. My questions are: Is it necessary to deliberately remove these loose teeth & isn't it true that in their current state that they don't present any potential problems & that they would fall out of their own accord, easily & naturally without any complications or the need for veterinary attention? I want to be prepared for tomorrow when the hanging by a thread-super loose molar #309 will be addressed, I want to be able to make a solid, clear cut request to the vet before Elliott's oral surgery appointment. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Since we discussed this on the phone Cyd, I'd be curious to hear what @Dr. Christina @Dr. Beth @dr_ judy herman @Dr. Jean etc, have to say.

Let's see what the vet's opinion is tomorrow.

In the meantime, are you massaging his gums with Neem bark powder, Pau D'Arco, CoQ-10 and/or Oratene enzyme gel?

Cyd

VIP Member
Registered
I tried Neem powder, but it caused horrible digestive problems, Elliott takes supplemental CoQ-10, I've never applied topically. The only topical treatment has been ozonated sunflower oil. The truth is that because I was focusing twice a day for 1-1/2 years on the "major" teeth, I have to admit I did not pay attention to the front teeth. It was a bit time consuming to make sure the really damaged gums & teeth got the attention they needed after meals, before I could go to bed, I did pretty well considering the other things I have been dealing with, its why now, especially after learning about other approaches that I can try to re-seat loose teeth that I would focus on the super-loose front area, that hung in there. I was also told by a human dentist that those teeth get a lot of natural stimulation from the mouth & lips, I was unconsciously looking for ways to minimize the time, plus especially for the first year, just about every tooth had ozonated oil applied to it twice a day, I wasn't 100% sure about long-term effects from that. I think that the loose incisors are a different situation, that if need be I could pull it out if any of them started hanging by a thread. It looks like Elliott previously crashed into something or was chewing rocks or a combination of both. His previous diet was extremely poor & that probably has something to do with the dental situation that he presented when I adopted him. I have previously purchased herbal gum/dental products, then wound up not using them because they warned about kidney stress because they contained licorice. One contained Manuka honey, seemed counterproductive for Elliott, the other contained Myrhh, that tends to accentuate brown tartar & though its soothing for gums it is a sticky resin & I know the end result of resins. The good news is that this week I became aware of a brand new product not yet fully unveiled by the Pet Health & Nutrition Co. called Gum Rescue. The chosen herbs make sense to me, I confirmed that the amount of licorice is not something that would a concern to the kidneys even for regular use, I should receive it tomorrow to use after the extraction. The gauntlet was thrown down by the vet for me to knock down the horrible gum inflammation that is on both sides of the tooth, I held off on incorporating homeopathy, the vet had instructed me to use Arnica for pain, kind of like aspirin, instead of pharma Rimadyl, that didn't sound right to me, I want to save the Arnica post procedure. Yesterday afternoon I did A.K. & administered Belladonna, it worked miracles. Today I gave Hepar Sulph, as AK said Belladonna was done, Elliott had much less swelling/pain/sensitivity starting last night, Belladonna worked great, I could touch with normal pressure again. I gave Hepar to try to get more pus to discharge, there seemed to be more blood these past few days & the swellings, especially on inside near tongue gum line was very full/distended, a big bump on either side. Yesterday there was so much swelling I thought he had swallowed the tooth! I plan to give Arnica before we drive home & will check A.K. for how long to use & when to switch to Hypericum, unless you recommend set protocol.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You may want to stick with the highest potency Arnica you have for at least 24-36 hours. Succuss and redose as often as needed. Here's a protocol for after any kind of tissue injury:

Cyd

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you very much for the Arnica for pain protocol link, I wasn't aware of this approach. All of the remedies that I have are 30C, I am going to bring along a pre-made solution that I can give to Elliott as soon as I am allowed to see him. He responds very well to Arnica, hopefully it will allow him to sleep during the 1 hour drive home. That single dose, possibly 1 or 2 add'l doses before we get on the road will have to do because we will be flying (hopefully) down the I-95.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Cyd.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I would also consider Hypericum for nerve pain (when a loose tooth moves, it tugs on the nerve, which can be--but is not always--extremely painful), Symphytum, and Ruta graveolens. I am not a classical homeopath, and I'm lazy, so personally I would put a low potency of each in water as a combo, but maybe the classicists can suggest indications or a schedule that might work. Just keep a sharp eye out for signs of pain, and treat as needed.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom