• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Tooth resorption needs annual dental checkup?

HeidyH

Registered
  1. Your pet's name Adam
  2. Approximate age 10
  3. Sex M
  4. Neutering status Neutered
  5. Breed Exotic shorthair
  6. Approximate weight 8lbs
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) Good
  8. Diet medium rare turkey, duck and also freeze dried with no water
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication Prednisolone
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time Dental x-day showed tooth resorption of 3 teeth, one lower left premolar, one lower left canine which has fallen off by itself already and its root has been absorbed by the body merged with other root, one lower right molar. The vet recommended annual dental checkup. Is it really necessary? His plaque rating is 2/4 in 5 years. I brush his teeth everyday. The vet said it's hard to say when the tooth resorption begun but it could be a long time. So Adam was in slient pain. On one hand, I don't want him to have silent pain though he doesn't show. His beam has been good and he always chew food on the left side since he's baby. The lost canine and the one above overlap each other since birth, which the upper canine punched a hole into the gum flap inside the lip over the years. His beam is fine and he always plays, and catches the soft toy. he cannot go under non-anesthesia dental as he doesn't like to be handled by strangers, let alone his teeth. On the other hand, it's likely he has further tooth resorption and I don't know he should go under anesthesia annually for his IBD and weak immune. And tooth resorption is only detectable by x-rays. Is there a way I can know visually of tooth resorption? Or Should I take him to a vet dentist instead of a regular vet? When he lost the lower canine, the gum was red and a bit swollen for around 2 weeks but he was still chewing on the same side of the mouth, just avoiding the inflamed area. I think he was having some pain, and likely all along the times he had resorption. But I couldn't tell he's having a hard time. I am trying to find an appropriate time, not too frequent, and not too late or painful for him.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? not really
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) x-ray
  13. Current and previous treatment two teeth extraction because of resorption. one canine extraction because of underbite.
  14. Other health concerns IBD, environmental allergy.
@Dr. Jeff Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Heidy!

I'm sorry to hear about Adam's dental challenges. :confused: ?
The vet recommended annual dental checkup. Is it really necessary?
A good dental exam can be part of an annual (or even better, semi-annual) wellness exam (without any shots or drugs).
Is there a way I can know visually of tooth resorption? Or Should I take him to a vet dentist instead of a regular vet?
Great question! If you can handle his mouth then you might be able to feel a resorptive lesion above the gums by dragging your fingernail across the tooth or looking for growth of gums over the tooth. This detailed video does a good job of describing this issue:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Heidy!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom