• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Cat has hip dysplasia, surgery recommended

SabineE

Community Member
Registered
Joined
Sep 10, 2026
Messages
12
This is my cat Miles, who is having a hard time jumping up onto anything higher than a chair. I was going to take him to chiropractor and acupuncturist, Reiki practitioner, but decided to finally get X-rays first. The chiropractor hasn’t seen Miles or the images yet, but says that they manage hip dysplasia with chiropractic care. The vet seems to think surgery where they cut of the top of the leg bone would get him pain free and able to be rehabilitated in terms of the atrophied muscles in his rear legs. I think I will give Chiro/acupuncture a shot and see if it helps.

I’d love to hear what your recommendations are, @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff

Radiology report is available

I’ve been giving him DMSO for pain with great success. BTW. Unrelated, but I believe he may have had a stroke last Christmas and that DMSO saved him entirely in about a week. We thought we would lose him. He’s been through it, poor baby
 
Last edited:
I think I will give Chiro/acupuncture a shot and see if it helps.
Perfect!

Please keep us updated on Miles's progress.
 
I share about DMSO with everyone I can who will hear it. I learned about it from A Midwestern Doctor’s Substack, The Forgotten Side of Medicine (which is an amazing website, Substack.com, and his publications will most likely be of interest to everyone here). He has published a number of articles on DMSO and it’s best to search by article title. You’ll get a summary of all the available research and studies, all sources listed meticulously, on it here, but then if you want to actually use it to heal yourself I suggest getting one or both of these books: specifically for pet parents I love: Amandha Vollmer‘s Healing with DMSO. Also great for getting safely started is The DMSO Handbook, A New Paradigm in Healthcare, by Hartmut Fischer. This stuff should be in every household and most definitely in the hands of every first responder. Let’s keep spreading the word
 
So glad, Sabine, that you will give holistic approaches a really good trial before considering surgery. One problem with surgery is that the rest of the body is out of whack. I have two problem hips that I kept mostly ok with a variety of holistic approaches until one had a pain level of 20 out of 10 that lasted for weeks (actually until the surgery) in spite of multiple holistic attempts. While the pain resolved, the functionality is still an issue. I am glad I tried for years first.

You may want to try out a few animal communicators to find one with whom you resonate. Miles may have an opinion (which can change over time) as to what he prefers.

Dr. Christina
 
Thank you, Dr. Christina, I appreciate your input! I’m always doing the least possible harm things first… generally using herbal medicine and make most myself for the two and four legged people…this has been going on for too long, I thought until now that he might have gotten injured because it seemed to have come on and progressed so quickly. I had also taken him to a different chiropractor before who seemed to help the first time but only mentioned that his neck was terribly out of alignment… never remotely said anything about hips! before trying this new person I thought I’d better check with X-ray. Surgery would always be the last resort, and I’m glad that even though he seems quite a lot less active than his brother at practically the same age, he doesn’t seem to be in pain anymore. Tough to tell with cats, but I saw such a strong shift after giving him DMSO. I’m still working through all of the amazing resources here btw. There’s so much to read and study about all my various current cat troubles! Glad to be here!
 
Back
Top Bottom