• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

8 year old Westie with bladder infection (many times)

DianaG

All-Access Member
Registered
  1. Your pet's name: Matilda
  2. Approximate age: 8
  3. Sex: Female
  4. Neutering status
  5. Breed: Westhighland terrrier
  6. Approximate weight: 7 kilos
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood): Very good
  8. Diet: Now I went back to pebbles but doesnt have ingredient that gives her allergies
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: The last vaccination was like 4 years ago. No exposure to toxins that I know of. Medications many antibiotics and started like 5 months ago medicine for allergy.
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time: Before her infection she was hospitalized for 3 days because she had a bad reaction I think from her alllergy medicine because I gave it to her for a long time.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? No
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) Bladder infection
  13. Current and previous treatment. A natural pill to maker her pee and water in her food
  14. Other health concerns: Allergy. I ve noticed some food give her allergy and a type of grass
  15. Note: Adding the last tests and are in Spanish because Im from Costa Rica
@Dr. Beth

Attachments

• 0811220603EXA (1).pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 0811220603EXA.pdf
    66.8 KB · Views: 1

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Diana.

I'm sorry to hear about Matilda's ongoing issue. That has to be frustrating for both of you.

What's the name of, and the ingredients in, the natural pill Matilda is taking? That might assist @Dr. Jeff and @Dr. Christina to weigh in as well.

Thanks!
Kim

DianaG

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi, thank you for your support. God bless you
The pill she is taking is Nefrotec from Himalaya. The ingredients are Pamelia perlata,saxifraga ligualata,rubia cordifolia, cyperus scariosus,badarashama bhasma and shilejeet. I hope I wrote correctly the indredients, it was hard to read small letters. Note: I think they are all in spanish. I hope I wont give too much work

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Diana!

I'm sorry to hear that Matilda is having health challenges.:confused:

Is your vet care in CR relatively accessible for you?

The Vitality and Balance System that we teach here at HA! is based on Matilda's exact symptoms like frequent urination but only in the am, pink urine near the end of her stream, etc.

It's also super helpful to look at the totality of her symptoms. Meaning that all of her symptoms are connected.

Even if she is showing changes that seem unrelated to the urinary issues like not eating as well, or seeking different spots to lie in than usual, they are useful (as you learn more about homeopathy, which is based on symptoms (vs. dis-eases and diagnoses), you'll see how important they are and what you can learn from them.

There are other questions such as how long these symptoms have persisted, whether she has had prior urinary issues, etc.

For now though I just want to emphasize the importance of two things that can help her body heal.

The first is making sure that she has adequate cellular hydration. This includes feeding food with a much higher % of water than the amount of water in dry dog foods. Have you ever tried a canned, freeze-dried or fresh food?

Making structured water for her (and including the chia seeds from in it her food) may also help her hydration:

The other thing is that the happier you can make her, the better her cells will work and faster that she can heal. It's therefore good to now focus on whatever makes her happiest in the world.

DianaG

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi
Thank you Dr. Jess for your attention and empathy for my dog.
I will write in an organized way, taking what you wrote me from top to bottom
I have had taking her to several vets and at the end I always buy pills, this time, the last vet told me that now in the vet information says that having urinary infection is normal (which for me is not). Im glad we both agree to give her the natural himalaya pill because it really helps her.
The first links talks about symptoms/signs and BEAM. The only sign is that she was urinating herself, a vet said give her antibiotics, and that stopped. That was like 1.5 month ago. She peed in my room which is not normal , for the second time. The first one was like 3 years ago. The first vet said give her antibiotics. Now, with this pee in my room, which happened like a week ago, the vet said is normal she has an infection, is very common, give her himalaya pill for 2 weeks, twice a day. So a sign is peeing not in the patio (is downstairs) and this time her pee smelled like dead fish. Another sign is that it seems it itches in the inside. She feels strange in her vulva (spanish), she has a different look, this takes like 1 minute being uncomfortable and maybe every 2 to 3 days. She somtimes licks there. She has being doing this once in a while, when she does that I inmeditaely take her to the vet and check if she has infection in her bladder or crystals (which is common for her). For now she has no crystals, just a bladder infection. In regards to BEAM, her behaviour is I need a safe place, looks for a corner and just waits whether sitting down or laying down. Energy is good, appetite is good. Mood is like saying I sometimes feel uncomfortable in my vulva. No environmental changes. Before this infection she was hospitalized for 3 days and I think they didnt took her out enough to pee. She was hospitalized because had diarrhea and vomiting, didnt want to eat, vets said we are not sure what happened to her but we are going to give her medications to control her pain, electrolites , pill for her allergy and antibiotics and a stomach protector. I think what happend is that I gave her for too much time the medicina for her skin allergy. The symptom of whether looking uncomfortable or licking her vulva is at any time of the day and it doesnt shift. Her coat began to fall and was hot like in the beginning of this year I think, which was not normal and another vet said give her antibiotics. She was eating barf there, but doing a transition, trying to see what food was giving her allergy. Her coat now is falling again, not that much, but is normal. Temp is fine. She is not eating concentrating food, is special because it doesnt have the ingredients she cants eat. No discharged, just the odor from her pee. She was castrated when she was 1 year old. No masses. Yes she licks her paws because of her allergy. No respiratory problem. No gas, well formed stools. She is now drinking a lot of water because she is not having concentration food. When she was barf, she wasnt drinking water, the barf nutritionists told me that is normal because the raw food gives her the water she needs. Im not sure how many times she urinates but I have a feeling is not enough. I think this is the third urinary infection in like 3 years? I sometimes have to force her to go out in the patio and pee. No sexual issues. Yes she is not balance and yes she needs to be whole again, please. Almost never canned food, only on those times when she was sick, She was eating freezed food, when was barf. Also when was barf was eating fresh. Now she eats fresh fruits, veggies and lettuce. Chia seeds, interesting, thanks . How much? Yes she needs to be happier, she is happy but I know she can be happier. Thanks and God bless you

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I had very good results from Animal Essentials Tinkle Tonic. Would that be helpful Dr. Christina and Dr Jeff? What about Cantharis Homeopathic? I didn't use these and learned about them after Romeo had a UTI and was cleared. Generally what causes an imbalance that causes a UTI? I want to avoid it happening again and help Diana too.

DianaG

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Lauren. Where can I see those products?

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
I am NOT a vet, just one of your friendly support people, but I have witnessed success in people and pets with organic/non-GMO D-Mannose (derived from cranberries and sometimes corn). It impedes E.Coli from attaching to the bladder wall. @Dr. Jeff and @Dr. Christina, would D-Mannose fit within a holistic/natural regimen?
Kim

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I had very good results from Animal Essentials Tinkle Tonic. Would that be helpful Dr. Christina and Dr Jeff?

What about Cantharis Homeopathic?
when was barf was eating fresh. Now she eats fresh fruits, veggies and lettuce. Chia seeds, interesting, thanks . How much?

Great question Diana! I'd base the amount on her visual body condition.

In other words, if she appears to be a bit overweight, then feed less food and treats.
Yes she needs to be happier, she is happy but I know she can be happier.

Are there any treats that she absolutely loves? If there are, use them for "Happy Meals" throughout the day!

Thanks so much Kim and Lauren for the great urinary system supportive suggestions.

d-mannose and Tinkle Tonic are awe-some holistic supplements to use! Rx Cranberry, structured water, probiotics, and vit. C are other ways to support Matilda's urinary function.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom