• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Upset stomach?

PattyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I have an 8 1/2 yr old Dalmatian, Britt. She was on kibble until the end of June when we started homeopathy. At that time I started to transition her to Honest Kitchen- chicken and oats. She seems to be gassy and whiny. I would think by now, she should tolerate it better.
Does any one else have problems with Honest Kitchen? Is there something I can give Britt to help with the immediate discomfort?
Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Patty-

Thanks for asking about Britt here.

Yes, I've seen some pups that don't do well with Honest Kitchen.

She might do better with more of a meat-based (and even raw) diet.

Ginger (root, capsules, even ginger ale), slippery elm, digestive enzymes, simethicone (like in Beano and Gasex), probiotics, fermented foods, etc. can all help her quickly with her GI discomfort.

Even faster is an acute homeopathic medicine and sometimes just repetition of her chronic remedy.

It really all depends on the context of how Britt is doing overall (in other ways). If she is better overall, and if GI stuff is part of her history, this may just be part of the healing process.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Patty,
Definitely try different foods - this is one reason we advocate feeding a variety of fresh foods so you can determine if any one triggers a problem.

Be sure to ask your homeopathic vet because, as Dr. Jeff said, it may be symptoms of healing, or if not, good symptoms to point to a different choice of homeopathic medicine.

Dr. Christina

PattyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I have an 8 1/2 yr old Dalmatian, Britt. She was on kibble until the end of June when we started homeopathy. At that time I started to transition her to Honest Kitchen- chicken and oats. She seems to be gassy and whiny. I would think by now, she should tolerate it better.
Does any one else have problems with Honest Kitchen? Is there something I can give Britt to help with the immediate discomfort?
Thanks!
I stopped feeding Honest Kitchen and am feeding raw. Ground grass fed beef, egg, grass fed yogurt, cottage cheese, steamed veg, sour kraut, oatmeal. We are still having problems. Where can I find a basic raw or lightly cooked diet?

PattyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I stopped feeding Honest Kitchen and am feeding raw. Ground grass fed beef, egg, grass fed yogurt, cottage cheese, steamed veg, sour kraut, oatmeal. We are still having problems. Where can I find a basic raw or lightly cooked diet?
Does anyone have any ideas??

PattyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Patty-

Thanks for asking about Britt here.

Yes, I've seen some pups that don't do well with Honest Kitchen.

She might do better with more of a meat-based (and even raw) diet.

Ginger (root, capsules, even ginger ale), slippery elm, digestive enzymes, simethicone (like in Beano and Gasex), probiotics, fermented foods, etc. can all help her quickly with her GI discomfort.

Even faster is an acute homeopathic medicine and sometimes just repetition of her chronic remedy.

It really all depends on the context of how Britt is doing overall (in other ways). If she is better overall, and if GI stuff is part of her history, this may just be part of the healing process.
Dr Jeff- I am still looking for a basic recipe to start over with a cooked diet. Britt seems to respond better to cooked food than raw.
We have had a rough couple of weeks. I dosed Britt with Bryonia 30c on 9/9 and again on 9/19. We had an extreme amount of reactivity to other dogs, mail truck etc. Britt was very demanding and not happy. When I’d take her out for walks she was mopey! I Did not see improvement from the remedy. Between her back and stomach, and behavior, we were fighting all the time! All she did was bark. When she wasn’t barking and overreacting, her demeanor was flat. And she won’t let me leave her. At night she used to lightly tap my back or scratch me to roll and lift the blanket up for her, now she is grabbing me with her paw, or really scratching me which hurts.
On Sunday, 9/26, Britt had CST with her friend Becca. Her eyes were brighter by the end. She went home tired. I brought a crate up from the basement, put her in it to rest, and went out for a walk for an hour. Britt is much better now! We had a pleasant day! No fighting except when she was scratching on my kitchen cabinets??? No clue where this is coming from.
patty and Britt

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh no Patty, I'm so sorry to hear that it's been a rough few weeks. :(

If you haven't already sent a web form update yet, please do so and let's schedule time to take the next steps.

We don't want her to be mopey and have lower BEAM in any way.

Since home-cooking recipes should be varied to get balance you might want to consider this prepared food which is sent to the house:

There are other crock pot and Instant Pot recipes in the Fun-damentals course and scattered around the HA! site and forum

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry Patty. I wrote that earlier but forgot to post it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom