• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Your Pets, Ketogenic diet, Press-pulse, Mitochondria and Cancer Care

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

This thread is for discussing the Monday Empower Hour! topic of the ketogenic diet.

The ketogenic diet is a high meat protein, high fat, low carbohydrate and low sugar diet that "starves" cancer cells of their favorite nutrient (glucose).

On the molecular level, this diet applies "pressure" (stress) to the mitochondria of rapidly dividing cancer cells which have a high demand for energy.

The majority of the animal research in this area is being done at the KetoPet sanctuary (KPS).

On Monday's (12/9/19) Empower Hour! webinar, the CEO and President of KPS will be joining us to discuss the ketogenic diet, how KPS came to be, and more about the company he founded called Visionary Pet Food.

Visionary makes a raw meat (frozen or freeze-dried) ketogenic diet available to pet parents around the country.

Here's a great post on their blog written by their team member Patrick discussing more info about the AAFCO "science" of diets including the ketogenic diet they use at KPS:

The research at KPS is finding that, as in people, cancers, epilepsy and other dis-eases are sometimes dramatically reduced.

These improvements mediated by mitochondria can be increased even further by then applying "pulses" of acute stress to cells (in people).

In conventional cancer care, this acute stress is typically low dose chemotherapy.

This research, called the "Press-pulse" method, originated in the lab of Dr. Thomas Seyfried.

Their landmark paper is in your HMDM folder (or you can find it by clicking below).

For holistically treated animals, things like activating healing with homeopathy, H-Bot (hyperbaric therapy) and SanaWave can also be used.

In the next post I'll share the Innovative Vet Care articles with much more specific information about KPS and the ketogenic diet.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks, @Dr. Jeff for the info. How is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy different from Ozone Therapy in terms of effectiveness?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Christine!

The one word answer is "pressure".

As in atmospheric pressure.

Here's the abstract from a recent human article:

Similarities and differences of hyperbaric oxygen and medical ozone applications
by Mehmet Ozler,Coskun Akay,Sukru Oter,Hakan Ay &Ahmet Korkmaz

Abstract

Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) treatment is based on the principle of having the patient breath 100% oxygen in an environment above atmospheric pressure. Ozone (O3) is a colourless gas with a specific odour and consists of three oxygen atoms. The classical scientific understanding is that the world has become a place suitable for life for aerobic organisms with the increasing oxygen in the atmosphere billions of years ago. The formation of ozone after oxygen has then protected aerobic creatures from harmful rays. We now use these two gases for treatment purposes. It is noteworthy that the oxygen and ozone molecules that are formed by the same atom in different numbers are used for similar medical indications. We will try to emphasize the similarities and differences of HBO and medical ozone applications in this article.

jenbridwell

All-Access Member
HA! Faculty
Hi everyone-

As you may know, I also do health and wellness coaching for people. My husband and I have been mostly Keto for about 3 years, and I run the Connecticut Keto and Ketoish Facebook Page, in addition to teaching classes to help people get started in this way of eating.

Many Type 2 diabetics are able to significantly reduce or even eliminate their dependence on insulin and other medications, although its primary medical use in people (mostly children) has been to control seizures. Many other medical conditions have shown favorable results from Keto, but it is not an easily sustainable long- term approach for the average dieter".

Unlike keto for animals, many people do plant- based, even vegan keto!

Looking forward to Monday, and happy to answer any questions.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
As you learn about new diets for yourself or your pets, remember that symptoms are your guide to how well the diet works for your pets.

Do they like it?

Is their BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood) improving or staying good?

Are some of their early warning signs resolving?

Dr. Christina

VickiB

All-Access Member
Registered
I made a concerted effort to put my dogs on a keto diet following KPS protocol. The food was homemade. One of my dogs is a cancer survivor. They never could adjust to the high fat, no matter what I did to alleviate it.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
I also put a lot of energy into putting Reyah on a keto diet using the KPS protocol. I alternated between feeding home made, Visionary, and applying the KPS ratios to Answers pet food. The amount she was fed was drastically reduced. One of Reyah's greatest joys was eating so her happiness too was reduced and I returned to the home made raw diet I had been feeding her. This was only about two months before she died. I may have had a different experience if I had used the KPS protocol from the beginning...it's hard to say. I don't regret putting her back on the diet she loved. My new dog, Charlie, may have a history of cancer so I'm looking forward to Monday night's Empower Hour to possibly find out if the KPS protocol might be an option for him. I'm in the process of transitioning him to a raw diet so it would be a good time to start.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi @VickiB -

In what way couldn't they adjust to the high fat?

Was it a palatability issue, or something else?

@kristen_acri, yes Charlie could probably benefit from this diet, as part of his regimen, with a possible cancer in his background before you adopted him.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

VickiB

All-Access Member
Registered
The problem we had with the KETO diet (homemade as per Keto Pet formulation and also Answers) was diarrhea or very soft runny stool. I tried feeding pumpkin and also chia seed. I can't remember the details as it has been a couple of years. My dog is doing ok, still on raw food, almost no carbs, but in March it will be 2 years since the last occurrence so I am trying everything I can to avoid a recurrence.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
One of my dogs is a cancer survivor. They never could adjust to the high fat, no matter what I did to alleviate it.

Did you use homeopathy to decrease susceptibility to diarrhea from a high fat diet?

Puls, Ars, Nux are all famous for doing just that.

Others can be found in this 90 remedy rubric:

Screenshot 2020-01-11 20.03.34.png

The choice of the remedy is based on other symptoms like, thirst, restlessness, isolation/clinginess, etc.

VickiB

All-Access Member
Registered
Did you use homeopathy to decrease susceptibility to diarrhea from a high fat diet?

Puls, Ars, Nux are all famous for doing just that.

Others can be found in this 90 remedy rubric:

Screenshot 2020-01-11 20.03.34.png

The choice of the remedy is based on other symptoms like, thirst, restlessness, isolation/clinginess, etc.
Thank you, Dr, Jeff. I am new to this. I will study this and proceed.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Vicky.

If I can help your study in any way, just let me know.?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom