• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

What to do for acute onset limping in a dog

LilF

Community Member
Registered
It seems Miss Blossom started limping after some raucous reaction to a passersby walking a dog while she was in the fence at home. This was 3 days ago.

Her limping is worse after rising from resting and has trouble lifting the leg high enough to get into the car. Not sure if it is the knee (hopefully not ACL) or hip.

Either way, I emailed my vet and he must be on hiatus again after going across the pond for over a month and a half. So I called my newly acquired backup vet that I took Blossom to when my usual vet was vacationing "again" over spring break. Good thing I did think ahead. The new guy was very nice saying they would try and get me in tuesday if I call early so I will.

Meanwhile, the homeopath has no text or emerg number to call and I usually have to wait at least 5 days on a normal week. So I decided to give Miss Blossom Rhus Tox 30c, And another time during the day, Arnica 30c and then bumped it up to Arnical 200ck (I do not even know what that means but I figure it was more potent). I also started some Trixsyn, perna mussel, fish oil.

She walked this morning, albeit slowly still due to her other problem yet to be diagnosed (.5 miles in over a half hour) but it was cooler and wanted her to get some walking in if she felt like it. I hope to doG it is not her ACL.

The point I want to make is that I reported the over reaction to other dogs while she was in the fence came after the aconite administration. I had her for 8 months and it never fazed her in the least. I even talked to the homeopath last week. So now Blossom is injured--yet another issue to explore medically, I feel due to the aconite because I never saw this in 8 months time. If I reported a negative reaction shouldn't the remedy been changed?

She also does not want Primal bone broth anymore which is a big negative since she never drinks water. If this is her ACL (5K dollars ) she is still not cleared for any surgery. She needs spay surgery too. This is all messy. Since I do not feel that aconite is the single best remedy for her to include her medical issues, I am probably going to change homeopaths.

Like for right now, I have no idea if I was to continue the aconite or add other things for this injury. I found one who gives a text number and is available immediately soon as I send records, for such cases as this injury. Thank goodness for this forum where I can get some direction but truth be told, the homeopath should be available.

So what can I do now for her probable pain and inflammation? When I go to the vet sure they will give some anti inflammatory or NSAID which I want to avoid but I do not want her in pain. Am I doing the right thing with the homeopathics I started? I put about 3 pellets in 1 Tablespoon of skim milk, dissolve and let her drink it. I am sure the vet will take an xray. I will contact the homeopath but sure I won't get a response till Wednesday at the earliest. The vet who was doing homeopathy on JJ who ripped his ACL a few months before he died, was prescribed Ruta and Rhus Tox combo. I still have some of that left and wondered if that would be better to give Blossom for her current limping. Thank you for reading and your thoughts, as always.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil!

I'm sorry to hear about Ms. Blossom's injury. :confused: However, I am super grateful that we get to accompany both of you and her vets on this journey!??:dog2:

what can I do now for her probable pain and inflammation?
Thanks for asking as this brings up the great topic of the often maligned inflammation (of whch pain can be one part).

IMAGE injury-inflammation.jpg
Inflammation=life. Without inflammation (which is a part of immunity), there is no life.

In this case, the additional inflammatory response secondary to the injury is best balance out energetically with higher potency Arnica (200c is fine) but administered a bit differently to increase its effectiveness.

Also, you can start using a Lumasoothe on the knee at least 3x a day.

How's her BEAM?

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Love Arnica! Dr Ava Frick is hosting a FREE Pet Pain Summit starting June 5th & is you sign up at www.PetSummits.com you will get gift that has downloads of what to give for pain!

Turmeric is mentioned. Look on YouTube for Dr Judy Morgan making Golden Paste and it will give you the steps and recipe!

Dr Ava mentioned ice packs the first 3 days. Alternate heat and ice packs thereafter.

Boswellia is also good.

Hope she feels better soon! If not, hope you have a good Holistic Vet that can help…maybe Acupuncture and Chiropactor if indicated. Remember the power of energy healing and gentle massage.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
It seems Miss Blossom started limping after some raucous reaction to a passersby walking a dog while she was in the fence at home. This was 3 days ago. Her limping is worse after rising from resting and has trouble lifting the leg high enough to get into the car. Not sure if it is the knee (hopefully not ACL) or hip. Either way, I emailed my vet and he must be on hiatus again after going across the pond for over a month and a half. So I called my newly acquired backup vet that I took Blossom to when my usual vet was vacationing "again" over spring break. Good thing I did think ahead. The new guy was very nice saying they would try and get me in tuesday if I call early so I will. Meanwhile, the homeopath has no text or emerg number to call and I usually have to wait at least 5 days on a normal week. So I decided to give Miss Blossom Rhus Tox 30c, And another time during the day, Arnica 30c and then bumped it up to Arnical 200ck (I do not even know what that means but I figure it was more potent). I also started some Trixsyn, perna mussel, fish oil. She walked this morning, albeit slowly still due to her other problem yet to be diagnosed (.5 miles in over a half hour) but it was cooler and wanted her to get some walking in if she felt like it. I hope to doG it is not her ACL. The point I want to make is that I reported the over reaction to other dogs while she was in the fence came after the aconite administration. I had her for 8 months and it never fazed her in the least. I even talked to the homeopath last week. So now Blossom is injured--yet another issue to explore medically, I feel due to the aconite because I never saw this in 8 months time. If I reported a negative reaction shouldn't the remedy been changed? She also does not want Primal bone broth anymore which is a big negative since she never drinks water. If this is her ACL (5K dollars ) she is still not cleared for any surgery. She needs spay surgery too. This is all messy. Since I do not feel that aconite is the single best remedy for her to include her medical issues, I am probably going to change homeopaths. Like for right now, I have no idea if I was to continue the aconite or add other things for this injury. I found one who gives a text number and is available immediately soon as I send records, for such cases as this injury. Thank goodness for this forum where I can get some direction but truth be told, the homeopath should be available. So what can I do now for her probable pain and inflammation? When I go to the vet sure they will give some anti inflammatory or NSAID which I want to avoid but I do not want her in pain. Am I doing the right thing with the homeopathics I started? I put about 3 pellets in 1 Tablespoon of skim milk, dissolve and let her drink it. I am sure the vet will take an xray. I will contact the homeopath but sure I won't get a response till Wednesday at the earliest. The vet who was doing homeopathy on JJ who ripped his ACL a few months before he died, was prescribed Ruta and Rhus Tox combo. I still have some of that left and wondered if that would be better to give Blossom for her current limping. Thank you for reading and your thoughts, as always.
@LilF Dr Todd Cooney is an excellent Homeopathic Holistic Vet and does Phone & Text appointments! Dr Jeff approves! He helped us tremendously and was spot on every time!!

I introduced Juju’s Raw Goat Milk recently to Romeo, who isn’t the best drinker & tends towards mild dehydration, and that may be helpful! Lots of great benefits.

Do you know how to muscle test? I’d go for Arnica like Dr Jeff recommended. Its excellent and we’ve found it to be very helpful with soft tissue injuries.

All the Best.

Last edited:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Love Arnica! Dr Ava Frick is hosting a FREE Pet Pain Summit starting June 5th & is you sign up at www.PetSummits.com you will get gift that has downloads of what to give for pain!

Turmeric is mentioned. Look on YouTube for Dr Judy Morgan making Golden Paste and it will give you the steps and recipe!

Dr Ava mentioned ice packs the first 3 days. Alternate heat and ice packs thereafter.

Boswellia is also good.

Hope she feels better soon! If not, hope you have a good Holistic Vet that can help…maybe Acupuncture and Chiropactor if indicated. Remember the power of energy healing and gentle massage.
@LilF Dr Todd Cooney is an excellent Homeopathic Holistic Vet and does Phone & Text appointments! Dr Jeff approves! He helped us tremendously and was spot on every time!!

I introduced Juju’s Raw Goat Milk recently to Romeo, who isn’t the best drinker & tends towards mild dehydration, and that may be helpful! Lots of great benefits.

Do you know how to muscle test? I’d go for Arnica like Dr Jeff recommended. Its excellent and we’ve found it to be very helpful with soft tissue injuries.

All the Best.
@LaurenHW I emailed some background to Dr. Cooney and he already said I could text him if needed before any formal appointment or paperwork. Your post was so chock full of things for me to try. Also looking to rotate with some of the foods you mention. I am going today to see if I can get a different goat milk for Blossom---variety is good. I do not know how to muscle test. I have heard for humans to hold the thing you are wanting to know if you need in front of you and if your body sways forward you need it and if your body moves away you do not need the thing. Blossom's leg seems better. I will add the Boswellia but the chiro and acupuncture options (TCVM vet) are a car ride away and can't get there right now due to her anxiety and I am building the time she can ride ok in the car. I think Blossom is coming along---I started to use a ramp for the car and guess what --she learned the FIRST time with my guidance...she is sooooo smart. I actually DID sign up over the weekend for the pain summit starting June 5th. Thank you!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hey Lil!

I'm sorry to hear about Ms. Blossom's injury. :confused: However, I am super grateful that we get to accompany both of you and her vets on this journey!??:dog2:

Thanks for asking as this brings up the great topic of the often maligned inflammation (of whch pain can be one part).

IMAGE injury-inflammation.jpg
Inflammation=life. Without inflammation (which is a part of immunity), there is no life.

In this case, the additional inflammatory response secondary to the injury is best balance out energetically with higher potency Arnica (200c is fine) but administered a bit differently to increase its effectiveness.

Also, you can start using a Lumasoothe on the knee at least 3x a day.

How's her BEAM?
I assume I can use the lumasoothe on myself too....The price isn't too bad and doable. Reminds me I think I still have the Assisi Loop from JJ so can use that too. Can't believe I forgot about that. I will try that to start this afternoon. Her BEAM is really about the same, the slower walking this morning so no change there. She was limping less this morning. As I watched her go up the steps today I did see she did not have full range of motion to lift the leg so she did it carefully but still goes up steps. She still has this thing of smelling the next step going up, even before the leg injury. I am starting to think this girl is a bit older than estimated by the shelter who said between 2-4. She just seems older. The prior 2 days she was very noticeably limping after resting (like someone does having arthritis for the first few minutes). Today I did not really notice the limp upon getting up. So thankfully maybe she did not do much damage. The vet said to wait another 48 hours on that before making an appointment. Thank you for the ideas for her (and me--the Lumasoothe)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
And remember to be patient, allowing the body to naturally heal itself, keep your mind free of worry to your best ability, record this episode and let Dr. herman know about it.
Dr. Christina

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
@LilF Just wondering how Miss Blossom and you are feeling? I hope she is healing and improving. Sending you both love and healing. Lauren

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@LilF Just wondering how Miss Blossom and you are feeling? I hope she is healing and improving. Sending you both love and healing. Lauren
Thank you Lauren, Yes. Miss Blossom seems to be fine now. I did use the homeopathics Rhus and Arnica on her for several days. So we are back to working on her other issues. I have set up with Dr. Cooney for a second look at Blossom (just like I usually do with my own health needs--opinions, opinions opinions..) She responded well to the Arsenicum. I have some diagnostics coming up next week but your post on Romeo really gave me hope. A real example of healing that is possible. I give her another dose of Arsencum today and I hope to see similar or even better results. Again, thank you for sharing the particulars of your healing journey with Romeo---and for asking about Miss Blossom!

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
That’s WONDERFUL! I had an appointment with Vet Todd Cooney yesterday and he is just the Best in all ways! So patient, kind, thoughtful & Brilliant! So happy to hear good news for Miss Blossom & You!
Please lmk how it goes with Dr Cooney. Take care. Really glad our story gives you Hope! That was/is my intention. There is Hope so think positively and envision and call in what you want! You may try doing a healing meditation with Miss Blossom Daily and playing 432 Hz music if she likes it. ox

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom