• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

What to do About Ticks?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Here's another emailed question:

Ticks: gets occasional tic bites, i usually send the tick out for analysis, they have always come up negative for like 5 infections including lyme, but what do i do if the test is ever positive?

Great question!

The best strategy might be for you to focus on BEAM and other symptoms, and not worry too much about the tick tests.

Whenever you pull off a tick, spray the area with the natural vegetable spray called Path-Away which can kill any organisms before they spread.

Then base any other treatment on internal ad external symptoms like fever, lethargy, a high C6, etc.

For general immune boosting if there are lots of tick bites, use IgG 2000 from Xymogen, CAS Options mushrooms and LD Support.

toryplatt

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks Dr. Jeff!
Got all the products but the xymogen, where can i purchase that one?

toryplatt

All-Access Member
Registered
Here are my questions about Esther! So glad i can use this forum i think!

Esther: (our other dog)
Esther is from St. Lucia and is 3 yrs old 40 lbs. Her mom kicked her out of the litter, and she was found in the gutter with maggots on her. The rescue bottle fed her, and we got her at 7 months. She arrived with hip displasia. She has had one hip replaced already, and takes 12.5 mg of Novox every day for the other hip. Both hips look bad in x-rays, but her hip surgeon said one replacement may be enough for her as that hip may compensate. With the 1/2 a novox she seems comfortable and will still do some good runs at the dog park. She guards her hips and won't play with dogs who strike her as unpredictable or too big. We have insurance (healthy paws) and could do the other hip, but i figure it's best to avoid surgery if she seems to not be in pain?? She eats all fresh things like Socks, some raw, but eats a little more grain free honest kitchen in her diet than he does. She had normal puppy vaccines but will never get any more, just titres.

Issues:
1. Her red blood count was elevated and it delayed her hip surgery. They couldn't figure it out; we saw an internal medicine doctor and she had ultrasounds of all her organs, her reticulites or something like that was elevated. She is 73% village dog, 13% rottweiler and 14% doberman, no breeds which run high red counts, but she is always fairly terrified at the vet, which could account for the elevation. It was never figured out, but everything else was okay, all the other labs, so there was no other diagnosis and they did the surgery and said she did great, better than all 3 dogs who were done that day. They said they could do bone marrow analysis but that its not conclusive for anything so we could just look at it like her red count runs high, and keep tabs on it. If you have any input on this we greatly welcome it :)

2. Itchy ears! What can we do? OMG we clean them, have tried some natural ear drops which didn't work and PattOtic does help them, and it seems I need to use this about every 2 weeks, for a day or two. We have done longer courses of this, but it still comes back. Can you recommend any drops or something else we could do? The vet says there's a little wax in there but nothing remarkable. She takes no other medications, but i do give her the 1/2 a novox, as she is in some pain without it, and Infinite Hip joint advanced formula with tumneric, glucosamine, msm and chondrotin. I see that she gets no more vaccines, or bravecto, that she eats good homemade, some raw food, but she takes the novox and has had some vaccines in the past, and some antibiotics for a UTI, and lots of drugs with and after her hip surgery.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for making your first posts Victoria. I appreciate that you shared the emails you sent me with everyone. ?

The IgG immune booster from Xymogen is a "prescription" product. Many holistic vets, naturopaths, etc. can get you set up to easily order it online.

Let's post your other questions in separate threads (1 about "what to do about elevated red cells" and a second about "what to do about itchy ears").

toryplatt

All-Access Member
Registered
Okay and thank you Dr. Jeff, are you going to post them or do i re-do it and re-post?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Victoria-

Either way will work but your starting the threads would get you a faster reply.

I will be checking in again this afternoon and will reply then.

Thanks for your help!

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Any idea what percentage of ticks carry lyme? I am finding a tick EVERY day on Murphy. I do check him every night and am careful to get the entire tick. I then treat the bite with Path Away and treat Murphy to CAS Options tablets. I have been using AnimalEO oils on his feet and ears whenever we go for walks... I have "Away" and "Evict RU" plus I give him a good spray of Wondercide Flea & Tick. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question, Dana!

The % of Lyme positive ticks depends on your area.

You can often get a better idea from your local health department and by having live ticks tested.

Decreasing tick exposure is helpful, regardless. These might be useful for Murph:

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Would Neem Bark Powder added to food be helpful as added protection for ticks? I also Neem oil weekly, and when we go to a trail that I know has ticks I use wipes on his face and a spray.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great thought Debbie!

Neem Bark Powder is an excellent immune balancer that will help decrease susceptibility to ticks. However, you usually need to use the oil topically to decrease ticks.

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
I am interested in the PetProtector tag that Dr. Howell mentioned last night. I don't understand why it is important to be rid of all ticks and larvae before using the tag. Buxton has been getting a lot of ticks and with his coat I can never be sure there isn't one hiding. I have used a spray that obviously isn't working. I will go back to Neem oil that helps and would like to use it with the tag until I know the tag is working. What do you think? Thanks for your thoughts!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Debbie!

I only know what Dr. Sue shared. Perhaps try to contact them to inquire:

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
I am interested in the PetProtector tag that Dr. Howell mentioned last night. I don't understand why it is important to be rid of all ticks and larvae before using the tag. Buxton has been getting a lot of ticks and with his coat I can never be sure there isn't one hiding. I have used a spray that obviously isn't working. I will go back to Neem oil that helps and would like to use it with the tag until I know the tag is working. What do you think? Thanks for your thoughts!
I too was interested in The PetProtector and ordered it :)
It just arrived and I realized it will not work for us. You need to leave it on your dog for 7-20 days for it to START working... If you take the collar off, you need to start all over. Murphy does not sleep with his collar on. Anyone want a brand new PetProtector CHEAP?

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I think that I have probably used every tick treatment for my gang, with partial success. I have the Pet Protector, as they wear a rope collar at all times (this is a thin collar that is made to expand if the animal gets tangled). I still was seeing intermittent ticks, more if we went to 'ticky' areas, or if one of the girls was stressed. As I tell my clients, the natural flea and tick controls work with the individual's body chemistry, so what works on one might not work on another. As I checked them daily, I felt I was staying on top of the problem as well as I could.

When my two elderly girls asked to leave us within ten days of each other in March / April this year, I was concerned for the emotional health of their daughter / granddaughter, Maerzen. I started using AnimalEO AromaBoost as an overall support. Imagine my surprise when I stopped seeing ANY ticks. This has continued, as long as I use the AromaBoost treatment every 7 days. I missed a treatment this month, and 4 days later, found two fat ticks! This may not be the answer for all dogs, but it is worth considering.
Cheers,
Sara

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
I too was interested in The PetProtector and ordered it :)
It just arrived and I realized it will not work for us. You need to leave it on your dog for 7-20 days for it to START working... If you take the collar off, you need to start all over. Murphy does not sleep with his collar on. Anyone want a brand new PetProtector CHEAP?
I decided against the Pet Protector because of the time it would take to start working. I wondered about using Neem oil with it for the first 3 weeks and contacted the company but never heard back. Buxton only wears a collar when we are off our property.
Nice photo of Murphy in Dr. Judy’s Pet of the Week!

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
I think that I have probably used every tick treatment for my gang, with partial success. I have the Pet Protector, as they wear a rope collar at all times (this is a thin collar that is made to expand if the animal gets tangled). I still was seeing intermittent ticks, more if we went to 'ticky' areas, or if one of the girls was stressed. As I tell my clients, the natural flea and tick controls work with the individual's body chemistry, so what works on one might not work on another. As I checked them daily, I felt I was staying on top of the problem as well as I could.

When my two elderly girls asked to leave us within ten days of each other in March / April this year, I was concerned for the emotional health of their daughter / granddaughter, Maerzen. I started using AnimalEO AromaBoost as an overall support. Imagine my surprise when I stopped seeing ANY ticks. This has continued, as long as I use the AromaBoost treatment every 7 days. I missed a treatment this month, and 4 days later, found two fat ticks! This may not be the answer for all dogs, but it is worth considering.
Cheers,
Sara
When I use Neem oil for ticks I know it is important to get it directly on the skin. Buxton has a heavy coat and I part his fur to get to his skin to apply it. Is it necessary to do that with the AromaBoost too? Thanks.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
When I use Neem oil for ticks I know it is important to get it directly on the skin. Buxton has a heavy coat and I part his fur to get to his skin to apply it. Is it necessary to do that with the AromaBoost too? Thanks.
The AromaBoost is rubbed into the coat; you do not have to part the hair. Maerzen lies there as if she is getting a spa treatment! There is a little oily sheen for a day or so, but it is not an issue. With a thicker coated dogs it would likely disperse more thoroughly.

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Murphy LOVES his weekly spa treatment with the AromaBoost. And I have only found 1 tick on him since I started doing it. But does anyone know why they include a seperate bottle of Fractionated Coconut oil in the kit?

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
The fractionated coconut oil is included as the essential oils can be irritating to the eyes if you get them in the eyes. The fractionated coconut oil will rinse out the essential oils. I've never had to use it.

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
The AromaBoost is rubbed into the coat; you do not have to part the hair. Maerzen lies there as if she is getting a spa treatment! There is a little oily sheen for a day or so, but it is not an issue. With a thicker coated dogs it would likely disperse more thoroughly.
Thank you for the info!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom