• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Weepy kitty eyes

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
The very best of the New Year to all of the Holistic Actions family and may the year 2020 bring out 2020 vision for all!

Well with 12 kitties and 4 puppies, it is not often that the whole household is in good health. Fortunately, nothing serious, but my youngest kitty has weepy half-closed eyes. All aspects of his BEAM are good. He is sweet, affectionate and allows me to clean his eyes which I have been doing just with purified water on a cotton ball, wiping his outer eye area. I have done a rubrics workup based on his symptoms (few alas) and have come up with PULS or IGN. I am wondering what else I should consider with respect to establishing the correct Homeopathic remedy to give him. I adopted him as a very young kitten from an acquaintance of mine who found herself on hard times, thus I know very little about his background, other than he was a street kitty.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Bonnie-

Happy New Year to you as well!?

More 2020 vision would be awe-some to see this year.

Before you choose a remedy, let's look at your kitty's symptoms in context to see if a remedy is even needed.

How old is the kitty?

Any prior eye problems or URTIs such as with feline herpes eye problems?

What are the specifics of his squinting, e.g is it worse or better in the light?

What's the nature and quantity of the discharge you clean?

Any other subtle or 4 P symptom clues??

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Thank you for your reply Dr Jeff. The kitty, Chappy (short for chapolin, which means cricket in Spanish) is approximately 6 months old. He was found as a tiny kitten by a friend of mine who was unable to take care of him. He has been in very good health up until a couple of days ago when I began to observe both his eyes were very watery. This is new. Along with the watery eyes, which have now become very watery with a clear liquid that has some viscosity to it, he has become somewhat sunlight sensitive. On that note, light or sunlight aggravates. When the liquid dries on the outside of his eyes, it is crusty and has a dark beige colour. Over the last 12 hours, the discharge has become more copious and he is inclined to want to keep his eyes closed. As for the 4 P's the symptoms are definitely prominent and persistent. His appetite is good and always has been, he drinks water but not excessively, he is playful but now seems to be more inclined to want to cuddle with me. There is no sneezing or nasal discharge. whatever is bothering him appears to be confined to his eyes. Anything else I should look for in terms of symptoms?

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Update on Chappy's eyes. The discharge has become gooier and has the consistency of mucus and is now a light green colour. Discharge is from both eyes with the left eye being slightly worse. Sorry for such a graphic description so early in the morning!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Bonnie-

If there was nothing else happening (isolating more, clingier than usual, drinking more or less) then these rubrics migtht prove useful:

EYE - LIGHT; FROM - artificial light - agg.: (34) ars.ptk1 calc.bg2 calc-p.bg2 carb-an.bg2 cinabg2 croc.bg2 Dros.bg2 EUPHR.bg2 glon.bro1 graph.bg2 hep.bg2 jab.bro1 Lach.bg2 laur.bg2 lyc.bg2 mag-m.bg2 mang.bg2 Merc.bg2 mez.bg2 nat-s.bg2 nux-m.bg2 petr.bg2 ph-ac.bg2 phos.bg2 phyt.bg2 pic-ac.ptk1 plat.bg2 podo.bg2 PULS.bg2 Rutabg2 sars.bg2 seneg.bg2 SEP.bg2 sulph.bg2

EYE - LIGHT; FROM - sunlight - agg.: (16) aml-ns.bg2 Asar.b7a.de,bg2 Bell.bg2 Bry.b7a.de,bg2 calc.b4a.de Euphr.bg2 graph.b4.de,b4a.de,bg2 Ign.b7a.de,bg2 m-arct.b7.de mag-m.b4.de,bg2 Nat-c.b4.de,bg2 ph-ac.b4a.de puls.b7a.de,bg2 stram.bg2 Sulph.b4.de,b4a.de,bg2 zinc.b4.de,bg2

Maybe take a look at Euphrasia in addition yo the Puls that you were already considering.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff. Thank you for the additional rubrics. These have pointed definitely to Puls. which I have just administered in 30C. I was going to try Ignatia but on really reviewing both Ign and Puls, the latter I feel will be better. I don't have any Euph on hand so off to the homeopathic pharmacy I go. I am going to wait and see what the Puls. does in the next 24 hrs before I try the Euph. I did consider Euph as I know that it is specific for eye troubles. Euph is antidoted by Puls, according to Robin Murphy, but I think it is a possible follow up to the Puls.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Hi again Dr. Jeff. Chappy has responded very well to the Puls 30C I gave him yesterday. His eyes are far less light-sensitive and the discharge notably reduced. I gave him 1 more dose today but diluted the 30C liquid in a small amount of purified water as the alcohol content in the remedy made him choke yesterday. I feel I am on the right track here. I will not dose him again unless I see his symptoms re-occur. While I totally get the science of Homeopathy, the magic always amazes me!

D

Dr. Jean

Hi Bonnie, just another thought here... most inflammatory eye conditions in cats are due to herpesvirus. Along with homeopathy, consider adding the amino acid lysine. Mix with food, 1000 mg per day until symptoms are gone, and 250 mg per day for maintenance. This will help his immune system respond more fully to homeopathy.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jean. I will look for the lysine. It will be easy to add to Chappy's food since he is a little trencherman when it comes to his food!

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Catdoc, when you gave the PULS 30C Can you spell out the full name, I am a beginner, and how did you give it, was it a dilution or 1 pellet or 2 and who made it. Boron or Hannaman labs? Thank you!

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Hi Joann, the remedy was pulsatilla in a 30c dose. It was the little pellets from Borion. I put three pellets in a quarter cup of purified water and give my kitty a dropper full directly into his mouth. He is reasonably compliant so I was able to dose him this way. I hope this info helps. By the way, it was one dose and a wait and see approach. I observed some improvement in terms of the leveling off of the eye discharge and when I saw his symptoms return, I dosed him again.

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Cat doc, thank you. The dropper I am guessing holds 1 ml? How did you know to prepare this? Did your homeopathic vet help you?

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Yes, Joann. The preparation really is not exact, but by using only a small amount of water, the idea behind it is simply dissolving the pellets in water to make a liquid. I find this is a much easier way to give a remedy to a cat. Have you ever tried to give a pill to a cat? I have the scars to prove I did! I am a student of Homeopathy so I usually do my own work to arrive at a remedy selection. Of course, the wonderful vets of Holistic Actions are always there to help guide you in selecting the most appropriate remedy

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom