• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Swollen Prostate/cysts on testicle and joint pain. Has it all a connection?

LucasB

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi all,
I am sorry if I have too many questions. I know it is a lot, and I have been holding back for not put too much on you. But now I am chose to ask these questions for the sake of my beloved dog.

I had an appointment with Dr. Jeff last month.
What an eyeopener as I learned to let go of my own worrying for my beloved friend Balder (dog).

Balder have had joint pain for about 6 months now which have been showing when we have been for a walk or after he have slept. It takes him some longer time to get up one all 4 legs. For a couple of months now I started to give him lots of supplements. His diet has been raw meat the most of his life.

Food:
Mushi raw meat
Raw bone
Spinach
Wild blueberries

Supplements: Vimergy
Vitamin C
Ashwaghanda
Zinc
B12
Chia seeds
Barley grass
Wild Salmon oil
Celleri juice
Lemon balm
Tumeric
Hibiscus
Atlantic Dulse
Olive leaf

Balder have had running eyes his entire life, and no doctor have been able to help me find out why this happens as they say "its just fur going into his eye". Balder is 8 years.

Lately an x-ray I took because I suspected Arthritis, the pictures showed a swollen prostate, and the ultrasounds shown swollen prostate and a cysts on the testicle. The doctor said that the cysts in a couple of month would grow as big to be able to put Balder to sleep for good. They recommend me to castrate him, which I try my best to avoid.

Dr. Jeff taught me to not hold Balder back for finding happiness in our daily life. So for one month now we have been driving to the beach to do what he likes the most. To swim. Now my car broke down and I am not able to take him to the beach. I wonder if that is a problem? I am making the alternative to take longer walks to keep stimulate his curiosity.

He is still having these "penis seizures" when he get excited for food where the penis gets so big that he cannot walk or do anything else than trying to clean it by licking the sperm away.

I have a few questions, and I hope that is okay:

- Which brands of supplements would you prefer to dogs?

- How can I maintain an alternative way to heal this problem?

- Is walking longer walks fine as an alternative to swim even though the pain sometimes occur then?

- Is there any good advices to reduce the stress he have been having his entire life? I am trying to find a cabin in the woods to live in, as no behaviour adjustment training had been helping him.

- Is it okay to walk with him if he is in pain but he still wants to walk?

Love
Lucas

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
That's absolutely fantastic Lucas that you're able to release some of the anxiety of uncertainty and fear!❤️:snowman:
I have a few questions, and I hope that is okay:
Absolutely! Ask as many questions as you like.
- Which brands of supplements would you prefer to dogs?
It depends on the particular ones. The food-based Standard Process and Dr. Dobias supplements are wonderful as are those from the wonderful Earth Animal and pethealthandnutritioncenter.com

- How can I maintain an alternative way to heal this problem?

As much outdoor exposure and sniffing as possible.
- Is walking longer walks fine as an alternative to swim even though the pain sometimes occur then?
Yes, just take it slow, try to walk on softer ground and let him go at his own pace.
- Is there any good advices to reduce the stress he have been having his entire life? I am trying to find a cabin in the woods to live in, as no behaviour adjustment training had been helping him.
Homeopathy with a trained vet homeopath is often best to help unravel these energetic tangles.
- Is it okay to walk with him if he is in pain but he still wants to walk?
Yes.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yes on the homeopathy! Prostatic cysts are pretty common, and more so in intact boys. Homeopathy can address these, along with all his behavioral quirks, and you may be able to avoid neutering. The conventional vets always recommend a neuter when they see cysts:) So it's definitely worth a try to adjust his whole system with the help of a good homeopath. You can alway neuter later, but this should help a lot and bring him peace and security.

LucasB

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you both for your answer and recommendation. I will go to my homeopathic vet and let her work with him.

I will take a look deeper to all the supplements and try to find the right ones. For now it is hard for me to know which supplements he would really benefit from since I dont know the root of the problem.

I just have a question about his pain. Could it possibly be the cysts on his testicle that gives him the pain which shows signs of arthritis to his lower back and between his upper shoulders? The vet told me this, but I just wanna be sure if that is possible so I can find in to the essence of this unbalance within him.

Love
Lucas

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Could it possibly be the cysts on his testicle that gives him the pain which shows signs of arthritis to his lower back and between his upper shoulders?
It's possible Lucas (the answer to most medical questions is that it depends on the individual).

In general tho, arthritic pain is much more common.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
My boy with the prostatic cysts definitely had pain from them, when they popped open. Made him hunch over and walk like Quasimodo ( the hunchback of Notre Dame) - not to mention bleeding out his penis. So I would say that a certain amount of discomfort would certainly be possible.

LucasB

All-Access Member
Registered
Okay, thank you all for your support and your guidance. I contacted my homeopathic veterinarian who has helped Balder out of Addisons disease with homeopathy. She told me with the size of the cysts that it can be dangerous not to operate for castration, and that make me question a lot. I am honestly in a very confusing state as she now tells me its dangerous to not operate because she never recommend that. I am also afraid of castrate him as it feels unnatural for me to do. But if all the ones physical near us says that it's dangerous not to do, then I dont know what else to do. Its with a heavy heart I might have to do it, as I dont know what else to do.

Thank you for all your guidance. I will stay in the community to find the best possible way to prevent the diseases a castration can bring.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Lucas, I hope we can get others to chime in here. I can only offer my own, unprofessional, observations. My old boy, a pit bull/Amstaff, was treated allopathically and fully vaccinated up until just about the time his symptoms became problematic. I had recently become acquainted with homeopathy and was working long distance with a lay practitioner to resolve temperament issues. HIs acute attack of frank blood pouring from his sheath was diagnosed by ultrasound at the emergency clinic, and further treament and neutering was recommended. I felt much as do you; I wanted him whole for many reasons - some valid:) - but also saw the wisdom of not bucking the tide, as it were. He was neutered, and started on a very effective homeopathic remedy for the cystic condition. As reluctant as I had been, he completely resolved the cysts, and with incisive homeopathic management his temperament became a non-issue as well, with calmness and tractability towards males of all stripes.
So, without hesitation I would go for the neuter at this point, to allow complete healing and to calm the cystic condition. Yes, there's a tradeoff, but trying to deal with the continued propensity to form cysts will be difficult and painful for him. The sweet parts of his personality will remain and blossom, and the hormones have done pretty much all they can already to develop his organs and systems.

Now, I have an unaltered male of a certain age, and I intend to keep him whole as long as it is in his best interests. But there are countless excellent and relatively healthy neutered males out there; most competition dogs are neutered at around 8, freed from a life of being constantly bothered by females, living in confinement, and risking developing these sorts of issues. It's very hard to say what might have been, healthwise, but, with homeopathy we can forestall a LOT of what may arise as they age, neutered or not. I'm afraid I would predict only more pain and bother for both of you if he is not calmed down hormonally. Please take this kindly; it's a tough choice, and one which most owners would find a bit unserious and silly, perhaps. But I'm with you 100%, more than many.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
She told me with the size of the cysts that it can be dangerous not to operate for castration, and that make me question a lot.
There is indeed a correlation between the size of a prostatic cyst and the chances of rupture.

Ginny is correct that though castration will not eliminate the tendency for Balder to develop further prostate cysts, and even cancer. In fact, there's evidence that castration increases the chance for prostate cancer.

Perhaps continue to follow your heart and optimizing Balder's energy and quality of life while you collect information and decide what to do.

Good luck Lucas! I look forward to talking again soon.

LucasB

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello all,

Thank you so much for all your sharings and guidances. It has helped me a lot. For those of you, who have been curious, I had the appointment to get the castration, but as I stood waiting for the vet to come to the room my entire body was fighting against this decision, at least for that moment. I decided to take the long healing process and have started on different alternative treatments in the hope it will help the healing process. And then in few weeks I will take a new ultrasound to get a status on the swollen prostata.

As we talked about Jeff, I here attach the file, from the vet. I needed to translate it from Danish, so I hope, it is easy to understand.

All my love to you all.

LucasIMG-6511.jpg

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Lucas, thank you! Your translation was quite excellent, too. Now that you have some actual idea of his status, it will make your decisions easier. I agree that there is no harm in waiting to decide, as long as nothing gets worse. I shall be curious as to the homeopathic and other modalities you try. Poor Balder; I want him to feel better, too. Again, thanks for loving him so, and for sharing with us.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Excellent Lucas,thanks for sharing!

Has there been any change in Balder since we chatted?

For example, does he have the same frequency of grunting when he poops?

LucasB

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you both. Always means a lot.

We have increased the amount of being outside so he can spent way more time sniffing. Ive even found a little field where he can be without leash during the night, so we go there.

There hasn't been any change for the positive yet. His poop started to be wet again and not "normal" and he have started to show signs of stronger pain in the lower back.

I am doing all we talked about. Giving him more freedom, happiness, and allowing him to walk as long as he wants to.

Because of the circumstances I am thinking about if it is time to see if it has grown bigger yet, as the pain gets worse?

His happiness stay as strong as it has always done, and his stress have been a bit better lately. More patterns of deep sleep.

All my love
Luc

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
the pain gets worse?

His happiness stay as strong as it has always done, and his stress have been a bit better lately. More patterns of deep sleep.
Great news (about his happiness)! In what way is he expressing to you that his pain is worse? BEAM is a direct reflection of pain.

LucasB

All-Access Member
Registered
When he have been laying down and sleeping, his lower back is in more pain as he tries to get up. Like his upper part of the body reacts faster than the lower part, which causes him to be limping. So he is limping more than a few weeks ago, which make me think that it aren’t growing smaller in this moment, and could be good to consider another ultra sound check.
His appetite is good, behavior same, and a bit more calm.

Love

LucasB

All-Access Member
Registered
That's absolutely fantastic Lucas that you're able to release some of the anxiety of uncertainty and fear!❤️:snowman:

Absolutely! Ask as many questions as you like.

It depends on the particular ones. The food-based Standard Process and Dr. Dobias supplements are wonderful as are those from the wonderful Earth Animal and pethealthandnutritioncenter.com

As much outdoor exposure and sniffing as possible.

Yes, just take it slow, try to walk on softer ground and let him go at his own pace.

Homeopathy with a trained vet homeopath is often best to help unravel these energetic tangles.

Yes.

Unfortunately, I cannot order the brand of supplements you recommend in Europe. Do you have any other brands that are good?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
In general, iherb.com is a good source for supplements for pets and people:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Okay, thank you all for your support and your guidance. I contacted my homeopathic veterinarian who has helped Balder out of Addisons disease with homeopathy. She told me with the size of the cysts that it can be dangerous not to operate for castration, and that make me question a lot. I am honestly in a very confusing state as she now tells me its dangerous to not operate because she never recommend that. I am also afraid of castrate him as it feels unnatural for me to do. But if all the ones physical near us says that it's dangerous not to do, then I dont know what else to do. Its with a heavy heart I might have to do it, as I dont know what else to do.

Thank you for all your guidance. I will stay in the community to find the best possible way to prevent the diseases a castration can bring.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@LucasB reading an older post on a homeopath helping Balder out of Addisons? My dog is suspected for Addisons and was curious what homeopath helped you so successfully with that and how bad was his Addisons? I understood that conventional medicine has to be used in this case. My dog is getting tested friday and if she is positive she would probably go on the steroids for life. So far, the symptoms I see with her have not been helped at all with her assigned remedies that were tried. Although the symptoms do not have a named diagnosis, the severity or frequency of, in her case, exercise intolerance and sodium potassium ratio and cortisol low. If you could elaborate more on this.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom