• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Supplements can't hurt my pets, right?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Usually not.

However they definitely can cover up symptoms.

Supplements are usually just a gentler form of natural drugs.

Drugs and supplements both act the same way.

By changing physiologic process to reduce the symptoms that these changes create.

Yet we know that symptoms are awesome clues to what's really going on inside your pets.

It is common for one slight symptom to "respond" to treatment with a supplement while the underlying process worsens.

An even worse dis-ease may develop.

And you don't know it because the supplements can cover up the early warning symptoms.

One recent case is poor Sol in VA who was euthanized because of a severe pain syndrome that started after "effective" use of a combination homeopathically-prepared (but not homeopathic) supplement.

On Monday's Empower Hour! we will be discussing mindful use of supplements including omega-3 fatty acids, Myos, glucosamine (and a few others).

If anyone has others they'd like to discuss, just post them below.

E

eileenthoma

I never realized that supplements are really drugs. I had heard herbs can act like drugs but had not known that was the case with all supplements regardless of how processed or where sourced? I had been under the mistaken impression that "whole food supplements" (for people and animals) were potentially meeting a possible nutritional need. In fact they are often prescribed by Kinesiologists.
Recently I ordered Immune Support for me, from Standard Process and received the canine version instead of the people version. I was wondering if it would have any value for our companion animals, but it sounds like I should be sending them back? Also would the premix added to some of the foods, including raw fall into the category of unnecessary supplementation?
I am looking forward to learning more for all of us!

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Usually not.

However they definitely can cover up symptoms.

Supplements are usually just a gentler form of natural drugs.

Drugs and supplements both act the same way.

By changing physiologic process to reduce the symptoms that these changes create.

Yet we know that symptoms are awesome clues to what's really going on inside your pets.

It is common for one slight symptom to "respond" to treatment with a supplement while the underlying process worsens.

An even worse dis-ease may develop.

And you don't know it because the supplements can cover up the early warning symptoms.

One recent case is poor Sol in VA who was euthanized because of a severe pain syndrome that started after "effective" use of a combination homeopathically-prepared (but not homeopathic) supplement.

On Monday's Empower Hour! we will be discussing mindful use of supplements including omega-3 fatty acids, Myos, glucosamine (and a few others).

If anyone has others they'd like to discuss, just post them below.
Dr Jeff, a question for Monday would be for a dog who needs both dental and GI benefits would the use of Entero or one of the adored beast probiotics along with use of 1-TDC?

Also per Animalbiome cats sometimes can have not good effects with a probiotic, you have to be very selective. Teddy had an increase in lactoclostruidum, which is not good to have. It can indicate a underlying disease but since he is now eating almost raw lightly steamed he has a good appetite. Animalbiome states enzymes are better to give him than probiotics for now. Of course I am working with my homeopathic Dr too. But maybe address use of probiotics for cats and when to use them and what are some good Whole Foods supplements Dr Katie talked about? Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Eileen-

Yes, whole food supplements (like from Standard Process) act more like natural agents like foods vs. drugs.

If the ingredients of the Canine tablet from SP are the same, there's not much difference otherwise so you would be fine to use it.

Premixes are usually food-based and are not considered supplements.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I never realized that supplements are really drugs. I had heard herbs can act like drugs but had not known that was the case with all supplements regardless of how processed or where sourced? I had been under the mistaken impression that "whole food supplements" (for people and animals) were potentially meeting a possible nutritional need. In fact they are often prescribed by Kinesiologists.
Recently I ordered Immune Support for me, from Standard Process and received the canine version instead of the people version. I was wondering if it would have any value for our companion animals, but it sounds like I should be sending them back? Also would the premix added to some of the foods, including raw fall into the category of unnecessary supplementation?
I am looking forward to learning more for all of us!
The purpose of this discussion is not to make everyone afraid of any supplements. Some are nutritional (Calcium, taurine, etc). Some may be needed until health is achieved (Probiotics, digestive enzymes). Those that are specifically geared to stopping symptoms, and do stop them, are the ones that can be used, but need to be stopped occasionally to see if the underlying imbalance has been addressed with homeopathy or acupuncture.

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Question for tonight:
1. Currently using a joint formula for my moms 11 yr old dog because sometimes she acts like her joints ache. She uses Just Food for Dogs, joint supplement. Can 1TDC replace this supplement to be used for both dental and joint care?
2. Or is there a good joint supplement to use.
3. Thoughts on Healthy Gut by Ador d Beasts.
4. For oral care is it either 1-TDC or Biotene oral gel. Do not want to overdo it on my kitties? Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
1. 1 TDC is not in place of the chondroitin sulfate, hyaluronic acid etc. in JustFood

2. There are now many, many joint supplements out there but ideally these would be individualized for your mom's pup.

For example, what's she eating, how's her weight and how much exercise or other supplements does she get?

3. I don't know either but Nicci researched and recommends the Adored Beast probiotic. Maybe she'll weigh in here.

4. Both together is fine to use!

Mix in Neem Bark Powder with the Oratene for an even greater benefit.

Nicci

All-Access Member
Registered
Question for tonight:
1. Currently using a joint formula for my moms 11 yr old dog because sometimes she acts like her joints ache. She uses Just Food for Dogs, joint supplement. Can 1TDC replace this supplement to be used for both dental and joint care?
2. Or is there a good joint supplement to use.
3. Thoughts on Healthy Gut by Ador d Beasts.
4. For oral care is it either 1-TDC or Biotene oral gel. Do not want to overdo it on my kitties? Thank you.

Yes! I have been using the Adored Beast line for my dogs and with clients/customers. I find it is helpful for more acute issues like vomitting/nausea/diarrhea. Also helpful for dogs who regularly vomit bile. I love that there are no fillers, and that it contains an adequate amount of CFUs. All of that being said, if you're using the Gut Sooth just as a maintenance pre/probiotic you may want to consider the Fido's Flora or the Love Bugs. These can be rotated and are generally tolerated quite well. The only negative I have found is that dogs are usually gassy for 2-5 days, especially if you give the full recommended amount without slowly introducing it.

Unique to the adored beast line is the amount of CFU's - most probiotics don't have enough and the inclusion of Larch arabinogalactan which is not only a great source of fiber, but also has anti-inflammatory properties, anticancer properties, immune regulating and can help regulate the microbiome[1, 2, 3].

[1]. Larch arabinogalactan: clinical relevance of a novel immune-enhancing polysaccharide. - PubMed - NCBI
[2]. Does larch arabinogalactan enhance immune function? A review of mechanistic and clinical trials
[3]. Healthy food products with probiotic and prebiotic properties

Dr. Jeff likely has much more access to articles re: larch AND canines than I do; however there are more similarities between human and canines than not!

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Nick for your help. I think the Love Bugs I will start out with and will use for both my cats and moms dog the oretine bio gel and Neem Bark Powder.

Dr. Jeff, who sells the Neem Bark Powder. Thank you! I also hope the kitty that had to go to emergency clinic last night is ok.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom