• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Should My Dog Have her Dental Extraction While Treating Possible Lyme?

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Hi, I have a 12 year old Salukis who C6 antibody test for Lymes was at 56 and apparently anything over 30 means there is infection, not just exposure. Vet is recommending 30 days of Doxycycline. Same dog is scheduled for a sedated dental procedure (extraction) in about two weeks. Is it better to wait until she has finished the doxy to do the dental? Is Doxycycline safe to give her? (Is there a holistic way of treating Lymes?). Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wonderful question Cassandra.

My own preference would be to wait.

The rationale relates back to the stress and strain model of balance.

It says that the better our pet's internal balance, the more resilient it will be to a stress.

Your pup's homeostasis (balance) has already been stressed by exposure to the Lyme organism, and may also get stressed by anti-biotics.

Therefore IMHO it's best to not add further stressors like going to the hospital, anesthesia, the dental, etc.

Perhaps deal with the Lyme exposure first and then deal with the dental.

Does your dog have any abnormal symptoms.

Regarding holistic and homeopathic Lyme resolution, you might want to read these:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Also, Dr. Judy has an herbal protocol that she is using for Lyme positive dogs. She will be sharing an Empower Hour! webinar about it in April.

We will also have another session discussing the "Happiness Protocol" that I am using to "treat" Archie (with lots of treats!).

Here's @dr_ judy herman's thread about her herbal protocol:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom