• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Senior dog with 'extended abdomen ...

MarijkeH

Registered
Name - Indi
Age - 14
Sex - Female
Neutered
Breed - Possible pitbull/amstaff (slim built - was adopted age 4)
Weight - abt 24kg.
BEAM
Behaviour - playful, dominant and easily excitable. Mostly independent although seems a little more clingy since the incidence of vestibular disease (abt 6-7 months ago); for example, barking for someone to keep her company. Since the vestibular incident, we noticed an instant decline (as if she aged overnight)
Energy - reasonably good for her age (I guess)
Appetite - very good
Mood - loves her walks and loves to play but will sleep the day away if no-one is willing to entertain her (although at times she will ask for play time, and ALWAYS expects her walks :) )
Diet - 'Organic Paws' (made in Queensland Australia, advertised as being the whole animal - including organs and tripe - certified organic and frozen), grated carrot, varied fruit, such as banana, apple, pear, assorted berries. Also most early mornings, a drink of water with water, cocoquench and flax meal or chia seeds.
Vaccination + No vaccinations since adoption 10 years ago. *Had operation for a blockage - which turned out to be pancreatitis - just months after adoption. *Was given anti nausea injection at time of diagnosis of vestibular disease. Chemicals? - about 15months ago, we moved to a small farming community. The downside is that the crops are sprayed with chemicals and there are 3 cell towers within walking distance!
Primary problem - extended abdomen, which is -
more prominent after eating, also at times, on rising. Not as bad after walks

N0 Diagnosis
Current treatment for overall health
- krill oil - CBD oil - Vitamin E oil - Eye Right - Activated Vitamin B complex - serrapeptase - powdered greens - turmeric - Lions mane, Turky tail, Reishi mushrooms, Vitamin C, Quercetin. < all intake is organic.
Other health concerns - Failing eyesight, eye infection that we have not been able to budge (tried homeopathics, herbal mixture, colloidal silver, Hydrocell) - Bad breath and missing teeth. As mentioned above - chronic pancreatitis, vestibular disease.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your post Marijke!

Indi sounds like a super happy pup and is a very lucky to have you as her mom.

You are doing a lot of great things to support her aging.

Has she had any senior bloodwork or urinalysis since this started?

Does she act uncomfortable, or does her BEAM decrease after eating or whenever she has an episode?

It sounds like she would enjoy, and really benefit from, more walks, as much engagement as possible (e.g. interactive toys when you don't have time to play with her) more sniffing, snuffle mats, etc. Here are a few other thoughts that can help optimize her internal balance and decrease the symptom:

MarijkeH

Registered
Thanks for your post Marijke!

Indi sounds like a super happy pup and is a very lucky to have you as her mom.

You are doing a lot of great things to support her aging.

Has she had any senior bloodwork or urinalysis since this started?

Does she act uncomfortable, or does her BEAM decrease after eating or whenever she has an episode?

It sounds like she would enjoy, and really benefit from, more walks, as much engagement as possible (e.g. interactive toys when you don't have time to play with her) more sniffing, snuffle mats, etc. Here are a few other thoughts that can help optimize her internal balance and decrease the symptom:

Thank you Dr Jeff :) much gratitude.
Just ordered a snuffle mat and a lick mat :) - although with her chronic pancreatitis, I am a little wary of what we could offer her as treats.
No, no senior blood work. She has not seen a vet since the pancreatitis incidence.
Indi usually prefers to sleep after a meal as well as after a walk. there have been times where she has stood staring with tail between her legs, however I perceived that her mind is no longer functioning like it used to and that is probably scary.
Can you please advise me if traveling is ok for a dog with vestibular problems -talking like a 5hr round trip. ... also, can you possibly recommend doggie shoes that will keep out three corner jacks? - bearing in mind that Indi has never before worn shoes.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Can you please advise me if traveling is ok for a dog with vestibular problems -talking like a 5hr round trip. ...
As long as riding in the car (is this a car trip?) is not too stressful, it should be fine. It might even help her increase her Chi (vital force) and healing ability through the C.H.E (Connection, Happiness and Engagement) that can come from exposure to new places and situations!
also, can you possibly recommend doggie shoes that will keep out three corner jacks?
The kind of bootie that will work best depends on what each pup tolerates best. Perhaps some of the HA! community can talk about brands that work for their pets (my own pups never used any).

MarijkeH

Registered
As long as riding in the car (is this a car trip?) is not too stressful, it should be fine. It might even help her increase her Chi (vital force) and healing ability through the C.H.E (Connection, Happiness and Engagement) that can come from exposure to new places and situations!

The kind of bootie that will work best depends on what each pup tolerates best. Perhaps some of the HA! community can talk about brands that work for their pets (my own pups never used any).
Thank you<3
Yes a car trip ... she used to go with us but did seem a little stressed. Then after the vestibular incident we considered it best to leave her with my youngest lad she adores him)... maybe a snuffle mat can occupy her mind during travel? Will try again :)
Another thing, she loves to dig 'craters' out the back - we used to cheer and clap our hands and tell her how clever she was - problem was that those times we first noticed her shaking her head every time she excitedly barked.She still wants to play the game but we have been discouraging it as that is still the only time she shakes her head.
What are your thoughts on that?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
she loves to dig 'craters' out the back - we used to cheer and clap our hands and tell her how clever she was
What are your thoughts on that?
Let her do anything she loves. Any symptoms (like the head shaking) will reduce (and maybe even resolve) as her underlying energetic imbalance is treated through lifestyle (like raw food focusing on heart, kidney and other glands and organs), love, joy, homeopathy, etc.

The symptoms will be great clues as to what is working as you treat the internal imbalance.

MarijkeH

Registered
Let her do anything she loves. Any symptoms (like the head shaking) will reduce (and maybe even resolve) as her underlying energetic imbalance is treated through lifestyle (like raw food focusing on heart, kidney and other glands and organs), love, joy, homeopathy, etc.

The symptoms will be great clues as to what is working as you treat the internal imbalance.

MarijkeH

Registered
Thank you :) this is a game changer for all of us. Been letting her play in the mud it feels so ... I think the word is liberating.
For many months now I have been fussing and worrying about another 'vestibular episode'
Looking forward to the car trips and holidays with our Indi
Very happy campers here! Thank you!
Oh and also, about homeopathy, She has had various homeopathy treatments, yet none seemed to have any positive affect. Do you have any recommendations for a great online homeopath?

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW!
Do you have any recommendations for a great online homeopath?
Many vet homeopaths will work virtually as part of your vet care team.

Drs. Judy, Adriana, Todd and myself are 3 that I can think of right now.

You can also search for others at:

MarijkeH

Registered
YW!

Many vet homeopaths will work virtually as part of your vet care team.

Drs. Judy, Adriana, Todd and myself are 3 that I can think of right now.

You can also search for others at:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
So glad she is playing in the mud again and camping. None of that should worsen any of her issues, and you are absolutely right that working with a veterinary homeopath could resolve many of them.

Also, using energy healing that you can learn may help a lot. Check out the different webinars we have done (and will keep doing) including ones on Reiki, HTA (healing touch for animals), EFT (emotion freedom technique), Bengston Method, Eden energy medicine, Tellington TTouch; Acupressure, Chi Gong

Dr. Christina

MarijkeH

Registered
So glad she is playing in the mud again and camping. None of that should worsen any of her issues, and you are absolutely right that working with a veterinary homeopath could resolve many of them.

Also, using energy healing that you can learn may help a lot. Check out the different webinars we have done (and will keep doing) including ones on Reiki, HTA (healing touch for animals), EFT (emotion freedom technique), Bengston Method, Eden energy medicine, Tellington TTouch; Acupressure, Chi Gong

Dr. Christina
Great, that sounds awesome ... looking forward to checking that out
Thank you! :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom