• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Sarcoptic mange

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Buxton has been itching the past month or so. Initially I thought maybe it was environmental allergies though he hasn’t had a problem in the past. He has gotten progressively worse especially the past few days. I took him to the vet and he has sarcoptic mange. The vet suggested Revolution or Simparica. i would really rather not use either but Ihave to do something. His life right now is pretty miserable with the itching. He also has had a lot of ticks despite my efforts with AnimalE, neem and other products I have used. My first thought was that Revolution may be a better choice but given the tick problem maybe I should give him Simparica. Comments?
thank you.
Debbie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry to hear about Buxton's intense itch Debbie. I'm glad we got talk about it earlier today.

Great thoughts about Revolution and Simparica! As you know, they're both considered to be safe, but I would also lean more towards the Revolution.

I even purchased a pack (which I never used) for Archie when he was diagnosed in 2019. Fortunately, homeopathy and lime-sulphur baths did the trick for him.

Regarding the ticks, I wonder if something like this might be useful:

I don't personally have any experience with it (@Dr. Christina and other vets that were at the recent AHVMA conference) rave about it.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Debbie,
If Buxton will be cooperative for repeated bathing, followed by the lime - sulfur dips, they do work well and decrease the itch right away. Ten years ago I had three Berners with sarcoptic mites after a plague of mangy foxes in the woods they loved to visit. The bath / dip regimen sorted the problem well. The dip can stain, so you do want him to dry thoroughly away from anything important.
As Dr. Jeff said, do be sure to continue his homeopathic support.
Best,
Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Jen (who did the dips) was a groomer, and said that the new generation of smelly and messy dips are much better.

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Debbie,
If Buxton will be cooperative for repeated bathing, followed by the lime - sulfur dips, they do work well and decrease the itch right away. Ten years ago I had three Berners with sarcoptic mites after a plague of mangy foxes in the woods they loved to visit. The bath / dip regimen sorted the problem well. The dip can stain, so you do want him to dry thoroughly away from anything important.
As Dr. Jeff said, do be sure to continue his homeopathic support.
Best,
Sara
Thank you Dr. Sara,
Buxton is cooperative with bathing but repeated bathing would be difficult for me to do. The temps here are cold to bathe outside (32 degrees this morning). with his heavy coat and if I have to let it dry that makes it more difficult. I don’t know if self serve dog washes would let me do it there.
Dr, Jeff and I decided on Revolution but it is taking a long time to get here and probably won’t be here until the end of next week.
Debbie

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Sorry to hear about Buxton's intense itch Debbie. I'm glad we got talk about it earlier today.

Great thoughts about Revolution and Simparica! As you know, they're both considered to be safe, but I would also lean more towards the Revolution.

I even purchased a pack (which I never used) for Archie when he was diagnosed in 2019. Fortunately, homeopathy and lime-sulphur baths did the trick for him.

Regarding the ticks, I wonder if something like this might be useful:

I don't personally have any experience with it (@Dr. Christina and other vets that were at the recent AHVMA conference) rave about it.
Thank you Dr. Jeff,
I did look at Fleasgone at one point and decided against that approach. I will check it out again.
I appreciate your support and glad we were able to talk yesterday. Hope we can get Buxton comfortable soon and continue to work on rebalancing him with homeopathy.
Debbie

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom